Corogard colour

Testors "Steel" in the little square bottle is a good match, in as much as anything can be said to "match" a coating which is custom mixed for every application. Basically any metallic grey you like can be said to match. There is no correct answer to this one.

Humbrol 56 is a goodish match for corogard - it's no longer aluminium as Humbrol claim but a very dull metallic grey; well mine is anyway!

No doubt someone will be along to tell you that it's mixed there and then for application and doesn't have a specific "it must be this exact shade" importance....oh, that someone was me!!

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Humbrol 56 is a goodish match for corogard - it's no longer aluminium as Humbrol quite but a very dull metallic grey; well mine is anyway!

No doubt someone will be along to tell you that it's mixed there and then for application and doesn't have a specific "it must be this exact shade" importance....oh, that someone was me!!

Jeff[/quote

Thanks very much think I have that anyway

In my opinion, you dodged a bullet by not getting that Xtracolour coroguard grey - that little tin is like a time bomb. Open it up, and it erupts. I have coroguard stains on my kitchen ceiling to this day - and, from what I've read, this was not an isolated case.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

In my opinion, you dodged a bullet by not getting that Xtracolour coroguard grey - that little tin is like a time bomb. Open it up, and it erupts. I have coroguard stains on my kitchen ceiling to this day - and, from what I've read, this was not an isolated case.

Cheers,

Mike

I completely agree. I had to have a wall of my dining room repapered and Lady Skodadriver's favourite lampshade recovered after a tin of Xtracolor Corrogard blew up in my face. It's the only time in 38 years of marriage that modelling has been a bone of contention between us. Luckily I wear glasses otherwise I would have got the stuff in my eyes as well.

A very esteemed modeller on this board recommends Halfords Rover Steel Grey for corrogard although having tried it myself I found it a bit dark.

There is no "match" for Corroguard because it's not a color. It's ground up aluminum powder mixed with a clear carrier. A bunch of otherwise identical airplanes in otherwise identical paint schemes sitting on the same ramp on the same day can have a whole rainbow of "colors" of Corroguard. It depends who applied it, when it was applied, how dirty it is, etc, etc, etc.

*In general* (note I said *** in general ***) it is a medium darkish, sometimes slightly metallic grey color. But the real thing is only barely perceptibly metallic looking, so on a model it will be almost impossible to see the metallic look.

Pick something you like and go for it. You can't be wrong.

• Like 3