Great Patriotic War GB Chat

When: 21st May 2016 to 2nd October 2016
Hosts: Thepureness, Sgt Squarehead and VPpelt68

GB rules

Subjects must have been in service from June 1941 to 20 August 1945 to include the victory in Berlin parade and Manchuria.

Combat of the Arctic sea and Baltic Sea Campaigns is included but nothing before June 1941 is permitted

Operation frantic is fine provided the builder can demonstrate that the aircraft built served on operation frantic and can either document it or diorama it on a Russian airfield.

Includes the Continuation War.

Germany Units based on Norwegian airbases that took part in the Eastern front are included but initial invasion of Norway and any combat over Norway is not included,

We are going to permit the Soviet invasion of Manchuria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Manchuria

Nations permitted are Soviet Union, Poland, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Tuva, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland, Free French, UK, USA, Germany , Hungary, Italy, Slovakia, Croatia.

With exception we will allow models of nations not included in the above list that took part in Manchuria, provided the builder can provide evidence on the first post of the build.

Kits eligible must be no more than 25% complete, this will be at the discretion of the GB modes, Please PM one of us with photo/s.

No What ifs permitted, must be an operation unit, or prototype that was manufactured and tested.

The rules above are now the final set, so knock yourselves out, get buying, get planning, we have 6 months to go.

So far we have

1. Thepureness HOST
2. Mitch K
3. Black Knight
4. Shermaniac
5. Lear Stang
6. Sgt Squarehead (Co-Host)
7. Arniec
8. Vppelt68
9. Blastvader
10. Smuts
11. Giorgio
12. TPReggie
13. Badger
14. Sleeperservice
15. Trickrich
16. Ozzy
17. cliffB
18. Dave the Doctor
19. Carts
20. PlaStix
21. depressed lemur
22. DaveJL
23. kwaterous
24. procopius
25. blitz23
26. Erwin
27. Natter
28. PIN
29.AdrianMF
Magic number 30. Brews
31. GREG DESTEC
32. Oz
33. kpc7676
34. foxy
35. IgorS
36. Nimrod54
37.T7 Models
38. Franky Boy
39. Foxy
40. Modelling minion
41. Bordfunker
42. Bubbasparksuk
43. Stosh65
44. Rio
45. JRXL

That is it, guys, we are in 2016 vote. But lets not just stop there, lets get some more in before the end of the year, lets make this a big one.

• Like 4

Interesting idea but a shame to limit it to WW2 when the Patriotic War of 1812 was such an important point in European history.

Anthony.

The Russians often refer to the eastern front of WW2 as the Great Patriotic war

Looks interesting, I have a few items which may contribute to the GB

Please add me to your list

I'd be up for it except I'd probably just Russian and never Finnish a model. I'd need to Czech out what I have in the stash.

AND, If you're Hungary why not have an Italian for lunch

From Wikipedia

The term Great Patriotic War is used in Russia and some other former republics of the Soviet Union to describe the period from 22 June 1941 to 9 May 1945 in the many fronts of the eastern campaign of World War II between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany with its allies.

Just my take

• Like 2

The Great Patriotic War, or Velikoiy Otechestvennoiy Voiyni, as transliterated from Russian, does indeed refer to the conflict between Nazi Germany (and allies) and the Soviet Union, which took place between June 22, 1941 and May 9, 1945, as mentioned above. It does not include the Manchurian campaign against the Japanese Kwantung Army in August of 1945. Regarding the build, count me in! I only have about 100 or so GPW aircraft, from all sides, that I could build (or finish, in some cases).

Regards,

Jason

P.S. The German Allies would include the Croatians, Finnish (although they preferred to be called "co-belligerents", not "allies"), Hungarians, Italians, Romanians, and Slovakians. But not the Bulgarians, who never declared war on the Soviet Union, and confined their fighting to the Balkans, where they operated against Greek and Yugoslavian partisans. Spain, although officially neutral during the Second World War, sent a division of volunteers, called the Azul Division, to the Eastern Front.

Edited by Learstang

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I am relatively new to all this, but I have been thinking of doing a Russian aircraft, after playing the IL2 simulator for 13 years I have spent a lot of time on the Russian Front and have seen the myriad of aircraft and cool markings available. Something like this would probably definately push me into making something Russian :)

So I would be interested definately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hmmmm I know I'll regret this but add me in.

Not sure what it would be but probably a 109, have a plan to build Hartmanns 109 and his F-86 (his F-86 was my second choice for the Sabre STGB), would make a nice pairing!

• Like 1

This sounds interesting, I've been thinking of Russian armour for a while, I already have some ideas of what to build.

Edited by Ozzy

• 2 weeks later...