HMS Leander, Frigate, 1/600 Airfix, Ikara Upgrade.

This is one ship I thought would never build,An Airfix Leander 1/600,But along came 3D printing and wow is the only word I can used.There were 26 ships in the class,if you want to read more about the class here is a link,there is lots to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander-class_frigate

Now on to to shapeways this is link to this site for the upgrades covers 1/700 1/600 and even 1/350 (Not A lot yet)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bogeysbit

I have started the ship ,waterlined already

The items from Bogeysbit

L1_zpsd244bdd2.jpg

L2_zpscb8c2851.jpg

L3_zpse46cc50b.jpg

L6_zps014693a1.jpg

broke a bit already

L7_zps8942018b.jpg

L5_zps25ba97c5.jpg

L4A_zps830e3427.jpg

• Like 7

Always enjoyed poking about on the Leanders at Pompey Navy Days back in the 70's. Went on one of the Ikaras and saw the launcher and a 'missile' up close. Funny kind of contraption, wonder if it would ever have worked? or was it out of the same mould as SeaCat and SeaSlug. Looked very futuristic for its time, but didn't actualy work so good!!

Shame the launcher and Ikara seem to be under a cover, but then it is 1/600. The brass etch and 3D bits look very nice.

I think the Leander really is symbolic of the RN in the 70's and 80's, very attractive ships. Will enjoy this one.

All the best.

• Like 1

Looks good, nice subject, I remember being on board Galatea back in the mid '80s and seeing the Ikara system.

The Ikara worked ok, good concept but should have been developed substantially further before converting whole ships to carry one launcher (with something like a single reload, which needed assembling before launch), when at the same time the US could rapidly launch eight similar weapons (ASROC) out of one box launcher mounted on the deck of their ships along with the other weapons on the ship.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

I like the look of this build! One thing I have always wondered about, is how many Ikaras one of these ships could carry?

Martin

An update,I have said it before,but I agree,I wish 1/600 was the main scale,but that's not going to happen,so here is two more photo,s ,I,m waiting for P.E. from WEM,I going to use the yardarms from the type 22 1/700,they are more detailed,these scales are so close and sometimes,the 1/700 is more to scale.The mast are just dry fitted for the photo's ,I always do then separate,much easy.Lots still to do.

20140716_210458_zpsb75317a6.jpg

20140716_210505_zpsf7777251.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good, nice subject, I remember being on board Galatea back in the mid '80s and seeing the Ikara system.

The Ikara worked ok, good concept but should have been developed substantially further before converting whole ships to carry one launcher (with something like a single reload, which needed assembling before launch), when at the same time the US could rapidly launch eight similar weapons (ASROC) out of one box launcher mounted on the deck of their ships along with the other weapons on the ship.

Ikara had double the range of the contemporary ASROC round. Plus Ikara was guided in flight where ASROC was unguided - ASROC's effectiveness was limited as a result as the submarine could have moved 500m plus during its flight time when the range of a Mk44 torpedo's homing acoustics was only 450m. So at the time of its coming into service ikara was quite a bit better than ASROC.

Really enjoying this build,this how they should have been the first time round in the 1970,s opps showing my age,more updates,the limbo is angle forward,which is no good with the Wasp on the flight,just does not look right,so with my mini saw,check link,excellent bit of kit, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962154-photo-etched-pico-saws/ it now can be angled down were it would be with a Wasp on board,

Limbo mortar angled forward ,wrong way

20140720_110927_zps2155cb41.jpg

The saw,yes that small

20140720_111551_zps4549c8ce.jpg

20140720_111611_zpsa6313d85.jpg

Limbo Mortar looking better, Limbo looks better,correct angle.

20140720_111724_zps0861eddb.jpg

Also masts done yard arms stolen from Type 22,42 and Leander

20140720_111138_zps91b2d6a7.jpg

20140720_111132_zps0f25488b.jpg

• Like 3

Most of the railing done,I,m having problems with the 3D parts,the bridge roof,hanger roof and the Ikara roof cover,keeps weeping out,the resin making the roofs look gloss, try everything,more paint,matt gloss,so tonight l scrapped of all the paint it came off,very easily ,bit weird,so clean the surface with thinners, repainted,hopefully fingers crossed it will stay matt this time.

20140726_234309_zps63caddf1.jpg

20140726_234317_zps702005d5.jpg

20140726_234324_zpse72b127a.jpg

• Like 5

The frosted detail resin for Shapeways is supported in a wax as it prints.

I soak all parts over night in soapy water to remove this. Sometimes they need a gentle brush as well.

That would explain the weeping,with what I did yesterday,it seems to have worked,thanks for the advise,will do that next time. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

That would explain the weeping,with what I did yesterday,it seems to have worked,thanks for the advise,will do that next time. :winkgrin:

The gloss effect has stay away,so can carry on. :drink: