1/57th (we think!) Pegasus Aerial Hunter Killer Machine - Build Review

Hi Folks. I have been asked by KT (aka Stg. Squarehead aka Andy) to do a build review on this kit. He will post an in-box review at some point that will cover sprue shots and such like and I am sure we will link these two things together then. In the mean time here is my build review. I also need to mention that the kit was supplied to Britmodeller by Amerang, who are UK distributors for Pegasus Hobbies.

He just said to do my thing so here goes.

The kit is moulded mainly in ABS plastic which the instructions state will not bond with MEK type solvents. I tried some of my EMA liquid poly with is methylene chloride based on it and it worked just fine. I started by bonding up the engine nacelles with superglue on the mounting pegs and clamping up well. There are four arms which need assembly and their associated claws. I removed the retaining feature from the claws so that they could be inserted after the arms had been joined and cleaned up:

P1060998_zps78d9acd0.jpg

The claws have slightly sunken areas on top and lots of ejector marks underneath which will need treatment:

P1060999_zpsea22afe0.jpg

After filling and cleaning up the seams on the engines (which took ages) I bonded on the end caps. The arms come in two pairs which only differ by a very slightly different angled mounting post:

P1070012_zps01179203.jpg

The instructions (which are very clear and well laid out) pointed this out which is a good thing as it would be very easy to miss.

Here is a close up of those different angled posts:

P1070013_zps9ae242cc.jpg

The rest of the arms are exactly the same.

I have been thinking about the finish on this model and I think it will be mainly Alclad Chrome with some selective vanishes and weathering. This demands the highest standards of surface prep which is why I have tried to do the best I can on tidying up the engines.

I am also thinking about putting in some lights after just the tiny most bit of encouragement from KT.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Hey, it's what it says on the box!! And instructions!! It is not 1/72, maybe 1/48th?

How is my build review shaping up? I know its early days yet but does it fit in with the corporate brand?

Nigel

A good start, but you assume everyone knows what this model is about and where it came from. You have skipped the obligatory background of the origins of the kit subject, i. e., what is it, where did it come from, what is it supposed to represent. Gots to give us a bit of a story about what you are going to build. Otherwise, you are doing pretty good; at least you know, "I'll be back" for more.

• Like 3

Der piktures and speling woz gud.

Don't believe what the box says.

I am presently toying with a SMER Swordfish

and a Fujimi Bo 105 Helicopter. Both in 1/48th.

The SMER Crew figures are about 30% bigger

Than the Fujimi crew and a Tamiya figure.

I did read another build article that says this kit

isn't the scale it purports to be.

I've also seen one in black Chrome. Nice.

• Like 3

Isn't being a reviewer fun? Okay Nigel, now you have to break out your engineering skills to determine the actual scale or this kit to something that never existed, that doesn't have any published manufacturing data, but be 100% accurate. Do you estimate what the size of the aircraft was supposed to be in the movie and then determine the scale, or do you determine the scale based upon the size of this kit in relation to the actual size of the prop built for the movie? Go for it!!

Der piktures and speling woz gud.

Don't believe what the box says.

I am presently toying with a SMER Swordfish

and a Fujimi Bo 105 Helicopter. Both in 1/48th.

The SMER Crew figures are about 30% bigger

Than the Fujimi crew and a Tamiya figure.

I did read another build article that says this kit

isn't the scale it purports to be.

I've also seen one in black Chrome. Nice.

Yup, Smer kit is nearer 1/50th.

HTH

Andy

Well it is a terrible old kit but I only wanted

certain parts for a sci fi build & it did only

cost three quid from Kits for Cash (Thanks Guys).

Just compared the figures to 1/35th,

They seem about 1/42nd scale.

Neither fish nor fowl!

George, If you want to send me a big check.....

Can I please remind people that this is meant to be a build review thread, not an extension of Nigels Antics thread. So please keep comments to the kit and the build.

Wow.....I really do need to see my optician! I never noticed the scale on the box and I specifically looked for it too! :blink:

Regardless, I reckon the kit is a significantly smaller scale, somewhere between 1/48 and 1/72 IMHO.....I looked for 'official' measurements for the HK online, without success. :unsure:

• Like 1

Apologies for not setting the scene better for this kit but I imagined that would be covered by KT's in-box review but as that is not available yet, first here is the box art:

P1070016_zpsd3bcbaca.jpg

Here is what it should look like from the instructions:

P1070017_zps36cfec80.jpg

As I said the instructions are lovely and clear:

P1070018_zps8844fcc6.jpg

They are a refreshing contrast from my last little build. Note, I have also invested in some highly professional looking blue paper now.

Here is a link to one of the actual film props which is providing excellent inspiration on how to finish this model.

• Like 4

Going by the filming miniature link the kit should scale at 10.125inches long by 7.68 wide in 32nd scale. It's short in both dimensions. That said the Horizon kit is 35th scale and significantly larger than 10 inches long.

Ahh the trials of modelling fictional aircraft.

The kit is great fun to build and really looks the part, having seen what you can do with a Dalek, I can tell it's going to look great when you're done.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Like 1

So, will you be wiring this up for lights? And, regarding the stills from the movie, do the engines have a light on the side or do you just think it is a reflection off the metal surface?

Oh yes there will definitely be lights. I don't think the engines have lights on them but there are some navigation lights on the tail as well as the two big spot lights at the front. These all should be included. I have been thinking about the stand and replacing the kit offering with something custom made consisting of a tube to hide the wires and some sort of base made out of marble or slate. Open to ideas as ever. This is what the kit stand looks like:

P1070020_zpsaa7cc161.jpg

I always think moulded stands like this look a bit naff so would prefer to make my own.

• Like 1

So you're a kit reviewer now, nigel?

Like the look of this kit, and I think you will do it justice.

Is it going to be an out of the box build ( minus the lights)?

If you ask me, this is begging for a bmf finish.

Can't wait for the next update.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Since it's meant to be build review, you should build what's in the box. The adding of lights is OK as that shows the reader what can be done to enhance the kit, rather than replace kit parts.

Can you clarify those rules/guidelines a bit please Dave? It sounds like there's some wiggle room between out-of-the-box (as it would be in a contest) and out-of-the-box for a review. What about adding antennas, replacing cylindrical parts or grab irons with rod or wire, that kind of thing? They also enhance the kit, and if you're adding lights you often need to replace kit parts to e.g. make things transparent, create light boxes or ducts, etc. etc.

Thanks!

Will