This is another kit that is being sacrificed so I can learn to airbrush. I started it as I am waiting for my latest airbrush disaster (Neptune Build) to finish drying so I can attempt to fix/repair the damage I have done through means I am not sure of. So, another fatted calf off to my painting slaughter house. It is the 1/32 Hasegawa Kawasaki Ki-61-1 Otsu (Tony) Shinten Seikutai.

boxart.jpg

Whew, try and say that quickly. I chose this kit as it should be an easy build and it will be an experiment with Japanese camo schemes before I attack my ZM Raiden that is patiently waiting to be painted. If I can get the scheme I am doing down right, I will tackle the Raiden next. If you check some of my more recent WIPs you will find I consider airbrushing a dark art that is always trying to defeat me (and it succeeds most of the time) This will be an OOB as the main point is to get to the airbrush camo stage. So here goes. . .

I gave the cockpit parts a base coat of interior paint.

Cockpit1.jpg

While that dried, I painted the various interior detail parts while still on the sprue. When the base coat had dried, I glued the main instrument panel to the front bulkhead and applied the decal for the instruments.

cockpit2.jpg

This photo reflects the decal is resisting conforming to the panel surface and I am coaxing into compliance. Resistance is futile.

Next up, I install all the little pieces where they should go in the main cockpit parts to get ready to do the detail painting and weathering. I have also coaxed all the decals for instruments to conform to their respective surfaces. (Not a great talent I have, just Micro Set and Sol make me look like I know what I am doing.)

cockpit3.jpg

I am going to let this dry overnight before I get down to detailing and weathering. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 1

How about you remove the decal and just drybrush the panel? Looks not good this way, especially at this large scale. But maybe the makro did its worst here and it's better in reality.

The decal had not yet conformed to the panel details. Also, I think once buttoned up, the likelihood this will be seen is slim to none. I may try that though if I don't like the finished version. I haven't done the detail painting and weathering. If I don't like how it looks, I will remove the decal and go to drybrushing.

Could I have built one of those about 40 years ago? I have a vague memory...

Maybe, if it was 1/32 and the Revell version. The Hasegawa 1/32 version is from 2007 I think. Now they have had a 1/72 version around about 40 years though.

Short update with the cockpit. I’ve painted all of the base colors and detail painting to the cockpit components.

detailpaint1.jpg

detailpaint2.jpg

detailpaint3.jpg

detailpaint4.jpg

detailpaint5.jpg

Now I just need to let it dry and then it will be weathered and tattered up. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 1

got my fingers crossed for you mate...looking good so far..i too am on a steep learning curve regarding airbrushing,i only have a badger beginners airbrush with compressed air cans so im a bit limited as to what can be achieved:( never the less im enjoying learning to use it and have noticed a marked improvement in the results i have achieved so keep at it my friend!

• Like 1

Update cockpit weathering. I started dirtying up the cockpit area with a layer of Tamiya Smoke.

cockpitweather1.jpg

Before the smoke base coat is dry, I go over the area with acrylic thinner to manipulate the layers of smoke to get an uneven wear pattern along the surface. After that dries, there is some drybrushing using metallic silver to highlight details and add wear and tear to the cockpit surfaces. Here are the component results.

cockpitweather2.jpg

cockpitweather3.jpg

cockpitweather4.jpg

cockpitweather5.jpg

cockpitweather6.jpg

cockpitweather7.jpg

The cockpit pieces are put together. What is missing is seatbelts. None are provided in the kit as either molded detail or a decal. Turning to Eduard and a generic WWII Japanese set, I picked this type out for the kit. It looks rather nice.

seatbelts.jpg

Right now, it looks like the weathering process is overdone in some areas. However, when the cockpit is put together and installed in the fuselage, the light and shadows will tone down the weathering process.

completedcockpit1.jpg

completedcockpit2.jpg

The other fuselage side is attached and this is left to dry

fuselage1.jpg

And the cockpit looks like this once the halves are joined.

fuselage2.jpg

The top gun cowl is attached to the airframe. There are some gaps that will need to be taken care of and some seams that will need sanding and filling.

fuselage3.jpg

The bottom fuselage section coupled with the wing spar is attached. There are some seams and gap work needed here too.

wingspar1.jpg

And then the tail planes

tail1.jpg

The last item to be worked on is the cockpit headrest section. I have assembled the headrest section

headarmor1.jpg

And installed it

headarmor2.jpg

As you can see, there are some more gaps and seams that need to be worked on. I don’t really blame the kit on these gaps and seams. I figure my ham-fistedness has something to do with it. Once the gaps are filled and sanded, the paint for the headrest will be applied and weathered to blend into the rest of the cockpit. So until then, and as always, all comments welcome.

• Like 4

What decal solution were you using George? Hasegawa decals are normally thick and need quite an aggressive solution. Its coming along nicely anyway.

• Like 1

What decal solution were you using George? Hasegawa decals are normally thick and need quite an aggressive solution. Its coming along nicely anyway.

I generally go from a mild setting solution to an aggressive one. My preferred place to start is with Micro Sol/Set. I would rather do multiple applications of this combo if I see it is working than just one coat of a very aggressive solution. I just seem to get better control this way. So for most of my builds, the decals all are put down with Micro Sol/Set. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Nice so far. I think you could apply some light weathering to the seatbelts aswell,they look some kind of to clean for the rest of the cockpit imo.

Thomas,

You are correct. I do need to dirty them up a bit. They do look too clean. Thanks for pointing it out. A picture to follow. Next up is sanding and filling the fuselage seams. UGGGHHH. Next to masking a canopy, the least desirable part of modelling.

I generally go from a mild setting solution to an aggressive one. My preferred place to start is with Micro Sol/Set. I would rather do multiple applications of this combo if I see it is working than just one coat of a very aggressive solution. I just seem to get better control this way. So for most of my builds, the decals all are put down with Micro Sol/Set. Thanks for looking.

See if you can find solvaset, it really gives Hasegawa decals a work over ;) Another tip is to use a cloth soaked in very hot water and pressed against the decal, that should make it conform in future.

• Like 1

Thanks to a comment by Luftwaffe (Thomas), it was brought to my attention I had a quite used cockpit with too pristine seatbelts. That has now been remedied and the seatbelts now look like this.

seatbeltredo1.jpg

seatbeltredo2.jpg

That looks a lot better, thanks Thomas.

• Like 2

Really like the weathering technique you have used in the cockpit...looks supurb! im watching you George!:-)

That's what the probation officer said too. Didn't know he was interested in modeling?

• Like 1

Looks good, but I'm not sure the IJA used shoulder harness' in their aircraft. I left them off in my kit, but admittedly, I couldn't find a picture anywhere to either confirm or refute that.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the airbrushing part. - just make sure you have your chicken bones and runes all at the ready... and maybe a small furry animal.

I find the gods prefer the ones with the big doe eyes - the cuter the better

• Like 2

Just to let you know that the airbrushing trials and tribulations are not unique to you..... I had a go at the Dalek this morning.... :suicide:

I bought some Testors Pearl Gold and tried spraying it this morning - not good.

I thought it looked a bit thick out of the bottle although it says you can spray without thinning. I added a few drops of flow enhancer and a few drops of IPA. Using the Trumpeter Dauphin as a test bed, I started spraying - first at low pressure (10 - 15 psi) and it was rubbish. The coverage was not good, and it started to run. Where I had large flat areas the paint ran on itself, and where I had corners, the paint ran away from the corners!

I then tried again using it straight from the bottle (no thinners), - same result.... upped the pressure as Testors recommend 20 - 30 psi - same result!

I shall now avoid Testors Pearl finish paints - that was the same type I had issues with on the DB5.

I seem to be able to use their acrylics without any problems but definitely not the pearl finish paints.

Very nice indeed!

Confirm no shoulder belts on Army seats only waist belts. The head armour (the whole triangular piece behind the padded headrest) was painted matt black, eventually looking grey, but dependent on your chosen subject it was usually removed from air-to-air ramming planes.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/11/armour-plate-on-ki-61-hien.html

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

Finally an update! The fuselage was buttoned up in the last escapade. Since then, I have filled and sanded the fuselage seams and done some touch up painting in the cockpit. The next items on the agenda are the wings and radiator assembly. First up, the wings. They went together well and the insert for the cannon bulge also fit.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

I then test fit them to the fuselage and the wing spar that is designed to be self-aligning with these results.

wing3.jpg

wing4.jpg

The starboard wing fits nicely to the fuselage, but has a large step. I am going to try to expand the wing section with a spacer and see if I can reduce the step.

The port wing, I am not sure what happened. It also has a small step but at the front of the wing is a fairly large gap. I am not sure if I got the spar misaligned or what. If the spar was misaligned though, I would think the starboard wing would then have a gap at the rear of the wing, but it doesn’t. For the port wing, I may try to trim a bit to see if I can get a better fit or just apply generous amounts of stretched sprue/filler to the gap. I really expected a better fit, but it may be due to my crappy building skills.

While I ponder the wing situation, the radiator was up next. I put the basic parts together . . .

radiator1.jpg

Only to find out that there is a part missing for the radiator vents at the front of the radiator. Somehow, I am missing one of the parts of the front radiator ducting. I will put it together to see how odd it looks and try to come up with a solution. Here are all of the parts painted and installed

radiator2.jpg

radiator3.jpg

radiator4.jpg

As you can see in the last picture the ducting looks woefully inadequate, like something may be missing. To make the part I would have to create a complex curve that is S shape and I think that is quite beyond my hapless scratch building skills. Being the lazy builder I am, I think the illusion of ducting would work given how much will be visible when the radiator is installed with the wings and all the other goop at the bottom of the plane. So, getting a trusty piece of twist tie, I stripped the red paper backing off to reveal this lovely piece of wire.

radiator5.jpg

I cut a piece to the length of the opening and inserted it and the illusion comes to life.

radiator6.jpg

Now all I have to cut a couple of small pieces of the same wire and create the bracing look. And that’s all for now. As always, all comments are welcome.