Wallace and Gromit Anti-Pesto van

I just got this one from a forum member - many thanks......

I'm going to build it as an in-between during the Aventador work, as a bit of light relief.

A nice simple OOB build.

The van - An Austin A40 is actually quite nice as a model.
1/12 scale, so a nice chunky build.

Wallace first......

Pics to follow.

Roy.

I built this last year - it's rather good fun, but has no back axle! I found one in the spares box, just for the sake of it! I think it's actually an A35 van, BTW. With a flashing LED and a battery box you can make the roof-light work! Hope you enjoy it.

Steve

Just had a dig through the bits - mine has all the axles.

I've tracked down the van paint colour - BS code 102 at Halfords.

Off to get a can mixed tomorrow.

Strangely, the figures are made from a horrible hard vinyl that is difficult to de-seam.

Sanding it makes it go rough and 'fluffy'. Have to see how I can get around that one.

I'm almost tempted to make my own figures from Plasticine, like the 'real' ones.

Roy.

• Like 1

I've (tried) to build this, as my first model after good 10 years of not touching any models, and must admit, if that would be my first ever I would chuck it in a bin, and forget all about it.

That was still time, when I was brush painting, and those awfull figures just sucked all the paint. I don't remember how many times I've tried, it was just dissapearing.

So good luck in building, and plenty of patience.

I've started with Wallace and the rabbit as I haven't been out yet to get the correct van colour paint from Halfords.

The figures are a peculiar hard vinyl but with a bit of care, it goes together fairly well with Cyano glue.

I had to do a bit of surgery around Wallace's shirt collar as his neck wouldn't go through the hole, meaning the body halves wouldn't close together. Even so, a bit of filler was needed.

I can't start Gromit yet as he needs to be placed in the van to get the position of his arms and legs....

Roy.

P1010060_zps006718ac.jpg

P1010067_zps5da2fb8f.jpg

P1010068_zpscd2e3ab7.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

He's looking ok! I didn't bother painting the van, just used the bare plastic (shock - horror) ! The colour looked spot-on to me - it's got to be pretty dirty, after all. Re the back axle - I didn't mean the metal rod; there's no differential, and the A35 is definitely not front-wheel drive!

Carry on, sir!

Steve

I've done a bit on the van....

The paint I used in the end is Ford Nordic blue.

At £6 a can, it was so close to the 'correct' BS colour in Halfords' book, it seemed daft to pay £12 to get a can mixed.

I'm not going to 'go to town' on this as it's a fun OOB build, and let's face it - it's Wallace and Gromit!

Hardly a 'show car'.

The wheels were painted and assembled - real rubber tyres too. That's better than the £500 Aventador kit!

Floor/chassis sorted, exhaust had a bit of light rusty weathering and the dash has been assembled and fitted.

I left the steering wheel in the plastic colour - HORROR! - It was so close to the colour of the old bakelite steering wheel I remember in a neighbours dad's van. I did give it a coat of 'Klear' though.

Seats and body next.....

Roy.

P1010073_zps8218fc4c.jpg

P1010074_zpsa10baba4.jpg

P1010075_zps9cda4870.jpg

P1010076_zpsa74a91f9.jpg

P1010077_zpscbedc288.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

• 2 weeks later...