F-104 "Hunting Cat" 1/32 Revell

The kit is the 1/32 F-104 Starfighter from Revell in a special decal edition box. This kit caught my eye in the poor, pathetic, castoff section of one of my local hobby shops. It is from a purchase of a kit collection and I bought it solely because of the decal option. I normally focus on WWII aircraft and prefer propellers on my kits. However, of late, I have gotten on a Tiger Meet theme. Now, strictly speaking this is not from a Tiger Meet. But, it is of a similar vein. I have no real information as to the actual aircraft other than a few pictures I found on the web. I also do not know how accurate this kit is, but it looks like/resembles a Starfighter to me. On opening the box, the first thing I noticed was the decals. They are old. How old? The instructions and wonderful trademark on the port wing indicate the kit was made in 1980.

I made a few modifications to the kit to more closely resemble an F-104 G at the suggestion of a fellow Britmodeller who knows far more than I about F-104s and this particular plane. The WIP thread is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959637-f-104-hunting-cat/. Another reason I chose this model is I am learning how to use an airbrush. Since this scheme is so colorful and combines a flat camo scheme on one side with a glossy bright color scheme on the other side, I thought it would be ideal. I thought this kit would kill me as to painting it. Most of the errors were from my own inexperience. What I did learn was to more appreciate you people that have seemed to have so effortlessly mastered the black, evil and sadistic art that goes by the name airbrushing. For your perusal:

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1720.jpg

DSCN1722.jpg

DSCN1723.jpg

DSCN1724.jpg

DSCN1725.jpg

DSCN1726.jpg

DSCN1727.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

Not a whole lot left visible inside of the cockpit, but here goes:

DSCN1731.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg

As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 11

This is really one of the best schemes i've ever seen. The fact that this is a starfighter tops it even more (there are plenty of interesting special schemes on that aircraft). If i saw one by myself in a shop, i would totally buy it, too!

• Like 1

Apparently there was a model in this post. But the only model I can see is the rather attractive and well endowed lady in George's profile pic. :D

Ok being serious, that's one seriously cool build. I don't think I would have been brave enough to give that scheme a go!

• Like 1

Oh, I like it very much. I note that there are a lot of bars in your photos. Have the IRS finally caught up with you? Do you want me to send you a file?

Best regards,

Nigel

P.S. I have a few things in my bag which might help you with the evil art of airbrushing.

• Like 1

Apparently there was a model in this post. But the only model I can see is the rather attractive and well endowed lady in George's profile pic. :D

That beautiful lady is SWMBO trying to get my attention when she felt I was ignoring her. Worked much better than yelling.

Oh, I like it very much. I note that there are a lot of bars in your photos. Have the IRS finally caught up with you? Do you want me to send you a file?

P.S. I have a few things in my bag which might help you with the evil art of airbrushing.

That is just the fence that divides my parking lot from the church parking lot next to my office. Nevetheless, they have not caught up with me yet. So, are you bringing voodoo dolls and potions? I would not like to sacrifice some of the farm animals to satisfy the evil demons of airbrushing. Although I do have an interesting story to tell you about devil worshiping; quite morbid and disturbing. Best done over some liquid refreshments imbibed solely for medicinal reasons.

• Like 1