1/72 Refuelling Pump by Maestro Models

Incredible work on those brass pieces, Nigel, I'm speechless... I wonder, does your knowledge and expertise of materials help you while you work on your models?

• Like 1

Fantastic seeing your builds take shape Nigel, i hope to learn how to solder i tried very briefly but couldn't get them to stick together, any how keep up the fantastic work.

ps i loved your natter base and tower

joe

• Like 1

Just found this thread Nigel - just in time by the looks of it, cos at the rate you're going it'll be finished by tomorrow...!!

I like the Sarge's suggestion of olive drab for the colour, as I can't see why it would be painted blue - unless it was ex US Navy I suppose! I'd have thought it would be yellow like the tanker, but I understand the problems with the decals - another suggestion would be to paint it yellow & then add Olive Drab or black 'patches' to apply the decals on. Have seen that done on real stuff before now...

Keith

Thanks guys, yes this is such a little thing I should think it will be finished in the next day or two. I am still a bit set on the blue but can see the merits of KT's olive drab suggestion and I am very taken with Keith's idea of patches behind the decals and keeping it all yellow. Still like blue though...

That's the great thing about BM and getting other peoples ideas, I'm sure better models result from it.

This is completely fictional but I think the best way to hide the wires is to have them disappear under the big tank, to that end I looked at fitting some pipe that the wire / hose could feed into:

P1060968_zps0cf9a15c.jpg

This gives a bit of an idea of what I am aiming for:

P1060970_zpse2c164b6.jpg

So I drilled a hole on the brass base plate and glued on the trimmed stub pipe:

P1060971_zps8f8b1f54.jpg

I think I can now glue this to the trailer base and start to assemble all the twiddly bits.

• Like 4

You sneaking another build in here nigel.

I think there should be a popup to warn us all when you start a new build, would make it easier to find them. I do enjoy watching your work, as it usually turns into a masterclass.

For the base, I found a helicopter "H" on the verlinden site in 1/72, which I think would look good.

http://dev.verlindenonline.com/1-72-carton-helicopter-tarmac-35.html

I know it is from the usa, but I'm sure I have seen similar bases on the hannants site.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link Matt, I am thinking of making my own H and outline using white decal film on concrete pads made from 240 grit wet and dry sand paper cut into squares. Its a bit hazy at the moment but I hope to clarify things tomorrow.

After drilling through the resin base I glued on the brass secondary floor:

P1060972_zps93175158.jpg

I then threaded through some fine brass wire that could later be used to pull through the actual electrical wires:

P1060973_zpsa91b69cd.jpg

I then secured it in place with a little blu tack after gluing on the main tank:

P1060974_zpsf576440d.jpg

P1060975_zpsc699b66e.jpg

I cut down the pipe provided in the kit to make a connection to the engine:

P1060976_zpsf861254a.jpg

I got the engine module added on like this:

P1060977_zpsae005965.jpg

With pretty much everything added I think this is ready for some paint tomorrow:

P1060978_zps44ffc0b3.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

Nice! B)

You've got nearly all of the components now.....It occured to me that these figures might have some potential:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1709

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1710

These figures are copies of the Preiser range and are hard plastic, which makes chopping them up and reassembling them a doddle compared to soft vinyl figures. :pipe:

• Like 1

Excellent work, as always.

For the base/Tarmac you might take a look at Woodland Scenics Road Kit (http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/LK952/page/ ) which includes their Smooth It plaster and colouring paint. I've used it on my HO train layout- it drys to the right scale texture for concrete pavement, takes paint/weathering well and you can carve the expansion joints once it starts to set up. Check the model railway section of your LHS or Hattons should have it in stock.

Edited by louiex2

Today I have added the leg thing to the tow hitch and thought I would see how it looked with my tanker:

P1060979_zpsf1bb6ab6.jpg

The last thing I have to add is the number plate. The one that comes with the kit looks a touch small to me so I made a new one out of a scrap of ten thou plasticard:

P1060980_zps90e8942b.jpg

Added here:

P1060981_zpsd88b5715.jpg

I then got everything ready for some primer, white on the fire extinguisher, grey on all the rest:

P1060982_zps4f21d194.jpg

I am keeping the draw bar webs so in line with KT's thinking will add the bashed up oil can for the CMK resin set. I did look at a folded tarpaulin but there is not really enough room.

The primer highlighted quite a lot of dirt which I sanded off as best I could from this awkward beastie:

P1060983_zps5524f02d.jpg

Its amazing where it all comes from.

Next I airbrushed the three top coats:

P1060984_zpsd6c0ccbe.jpg

I think it looks quite nice in blue.

I then detail painted the fire extinguisher and gave them all a coat of Klear:

P1060985_zps81a899a7.jpg

Next its decals and weathering. I think I will hand paint the tyres so that's it for airbrush action.

• Like 4

The support leg is normally retractable Nigel - at least the ones on our car trailer are - I think fitted there it's going to get ripped off on the first bump it encounters on the airfield (which are remarkably bumpy places!) Should it maybe be attached to the side of the hitch? But seeing as its all painted up I wouldn't bother to try moving it...!!

And yes it does look nice in blue - ex USN it is then!!

• Like 2

Uhm, yes, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose having it down gives me the option of having it uncoupled from the tanker or maybe they are about to unhitch it. I could even have a figure working on it possibly.

Glad you like the blue.

I was going to tell you how good the decals were after the first two, they quickly released from the backing paper and went down nicely. Ah, but no, the next two long ones broke up so I tried to salvage the last one by painting with liquid decal film:

P1060986_zpsfb02ed15.jpg

But that just sealed the backing paper and it would not release so feeling a bit cheated of my decalling fun I raided the spares box for some suitable illegible yellow stencils:

P1060987_zpsf3528307.jpg

Here they are applied and not forgetting one from my Mike Grant set for the fire extinguisher:

P1060988_zpsf9130cc7.jpg

P1060989_zpsd7aba021.jpg

As my Xtracolor tyre black was suspect, I used tank grey on the tyres and dry brushed the treads with anthracite. I gave the exhaust the same treatment as the one on the tanker:

P1060990_zpsdf9278a4.jpg

I gave it a wash with Flory's dark dirt and glued on the extinguisher and oil can. The Flory washed areas dry quite matt and I like the glossy areas from the coat of Klear so I will not put another coat of varnish on this and call it finished:

P1060991_zpsecec9a96.jpg

P1060992_zps1a7116b7.jpg

P1060993_zps0100acc6.jpg

P1060994_zps153a415c.jpg

Finally, just a reminder that this is a tiny little fellow:

P1060995_zps88563007.jpg

I think it would nearly fit in that tin.

For my next project (until the bases arrive) I have two options, a Pegasus Terminator Ariel HK Machine - an official BM build review - or a 1/48th Dragon Komet. I think I might go for the HK as it looks like an easy build to me.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Go for your first official BM build review. And, thanks to your metal work inspiration, I am bound and determined to solder the next PE set I do as I can't really muck it up much worse than I do with superglue.

• Like 1

I have great plans for the HK, look at this model from the actual film:

http://www.icollector.com/Screen-used-flying-Hunter-Killer-from-Terminator-2-Judgment-Day_i8632715

Note the headlights which look just like the halogen spot lights in my bathroom, just saying...

• Like 1

I know I go a little nuts sometimes buying things, but $50,000.00+? That boggles my mind. I think the house I would have to live in after that kind of purchase, even the dogs would not visit.

• Like 2

Of course you will finish you helicopter hendie, why would you not?

I have made quite a bit of progress this afternoon. First the hose broke off the fire extinguisher during clean up (the carpet monster is still munching on it) so I replaced it with some 0.44mm copper wire:

P1060955_zps235de617.jpg

I had a good long think about the best way forward and decided that I should make a secondary floor for the trailer out of brass sheet:

P1060956_zps4d4bbf91.jpg

This will give me something sensible to mount things to.

Using a scrap of PE fret I started on the rear thingie:

P1060957_zps03822abb.jpg

That brass plate soaks up a lot of heat and needs my biggest iron.

Next I started to make the uprights which I am sure are there to coil the hose around:

P1060959_zps24a77e9a.jpg

I used 0.8 and 0.6mm brass rod which is finer than the kit parts, that's one done three more to do.

As if by magic here they are all done:

P1060961_zpsd27699d0.jpg

I soldered the first on to the base using this sort of set up:

P1060962_zpsa4096ac6.jpg

Note the wet tissue and heat sink pliers.

Here are all four done:

P1060963_zps820e9b93.jpg

I then started on the back frame using 0.6mm rod:

P1060964_zps5eea9591.jpg

During soldering that, one of the front uprights broke:

P1060965_zps4d17130e.jpg

That happened to two of the others during construction but I think I am winning.

The flux tends to leave a greasy residue so I cleaned that off with some thinners:

P1060966_zps0d5bbc87.jpg

After a bit of tidy up this is what I ended up with:

P1060967_zps683d6c4f.jpg

I will have a think about what to do next while cooking dinner.

Bye for now,

Nigel

That's just so amazing , Natural born talent Nigel .

Rick

• Like 1