Revell 1:144 F-14A - VF-84, Cat-shot - update 10-10 - canopy help required

This is what I started with

photo-18.jpg

And this is where I'd got to

photo-23.jpg

I managed to spend a couple of hours tonight on it and have the white all masked off on the fuselage and deck and a bit of detail painting completed on the fire engine.

Expect progress to be slow

Good to see this is still on the go Neal.

Thanks John, it's definatley one to finish but it's going to take some time.

Great work on your top gun dio. Anyone who's not seen it & all the other great builds should take a trip over to the Tomcat STGB

It would be nice to see this model completed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Here's where I got to yesterday:

photo-24.jpg

The waves in the tamiya tape were cut freehand by sticking two peices of tape to some grease proof paper then cutting along the centreline, that way I ended up with symmetrical peices.

The fire engine is glosses ready for decals.

• Like 1

Didn't have chance to do too much today so tackled the fire engine decals. They went on ok with some micro sol & set but are yellowing at bit whilst they're drying, I think a gloss coat and wash should hide the majority of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have to move this thread to the maritime section; no progress on the Tomcat but quite a bit on the carrier.

I've purchased a hole punch so that was set to work masking the 8 wheels (4 tomcat, 4 fire engine) then it was out with the air brush and a sizeable amount of NATO black.

photo1-6.jpg

So that's the deck, tyres, JBD and the sidewinders painted

photo3-2.jpg

Then a load of masking, white and yellow paint more masking and some red all interspersed with some maskol to chip the paint a bit.

All the tape came off and I'm pretty pleased with it, the yellow was a little thin and has run under the masking.

photo2-6.jpg

Using a little white tac I've taken all maskol off the decking tie down points, this I'm less pleased with as the colour is way too stark and the masking is nowhere near perfect.

photo-25.jpg

I think I'll be able to fix it it with a light dusting of NATO black and some promodeller wash.

Wow Neal, that's a fantastic job on the deck. I really like the shading and all the neat masking work has paid off. Well done bud it's going to look brilliant.

Cheers John, I love the bit were it all gets unmasked. I bit of tidying up and it should look ok. Just the Tomcat to do then.

The theme of non-aircraft modelling in the aircraft WIP thread continues. I've remask end some of the deck ready for tidying up, then I've finished the wheels and fire engine off with some promodeller wash.

photo-26.jpg

I think a little dry brush on the top of the fire engine and a Matt coat will see it finished.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

Just keeps getting better and better mate. Great work in this tiny scale.

Thanks John, shame the progress is so glacial.

Saying that there is some progress. . . .

As described I tidied up the carrier deck and gave whole thing a dusting to soften the tie down points.

More masking around the UC bays and wing undersides, now vibe found maskol can be cleaned from brushes with water this is a bit easier for small areas (how have I gone on this long without knowing this, what a divvi!!)

Anyway I followed Giorgio's advice and used XF-80 lighted about 5-10% with white for the upper surfaces. I recon I looks spot on, thanks Giorgio.

Although there are decals for the yellow fin tips I've sprayed them as I can't see them setting on the lumps and bumps.

Next job is more masking for the black areas and the red under portions of the slats.

photo-27.jpg

Watching the John Sargent lancaster programme on BBC2 whilst spraying the tomcat made me think that my a-model Dambuster lancaster might be next on the build list although the griffin / brengun photo-etch flaps fill me with fear, especially as I've never seen anyone build a set yet.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

5 weeks since my last post!!! Things are certainly glacial, but they're not static. Spent a couple of hours tonight unmasking and then masking the black anti glare panels, gun port and fins ready for the black. Looking at a couple of reference pic the black seems to have faded so I'll given them a dusting of NATO black as a final coat.

photo-28.jpg

Wings masked as well ready for the red.

Prepare yourselves for another underwhelming update at a date that's probably further away than you'd expect

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

Prepare yourselves for another underwhelming update at a date that's probably further away than you'd expect

Little steps Neal, you will get there eventually. As for glacial progress the Prussian Hussar that I have been painting has been on and off between builds for the last three years or so, I put it up on here in the hope that it will push me on to finish it.

Keep up the good work.

Little steps Neal, you will get there eventually. As for glacial progress the Prussian Hussar that I have been painting has been on and off between builds for the last three years or so, I put it up on here in the hope that it will push me on to finish it.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the support & vote of confidence.

Some of the masking around the nose doesn't look quite right at the moment so I'll fettle that a little before spraying.

Persevere Neal this looks really good!

James, don't worry I'll keep plugging away at it . . . . (Just not this evening)

It feels like it it's close to decalling but then I mentally write the jobs list and there's still a long way to go

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the support chaps.

Touched up the white and grey, then a quick blast with red and black before my favourite bit pulling off the masking tape.

photo-29.jpg

To be honest I'm pretty pleased with it, the only bit of bleeding I can see is a tiny bit of red under the wing.

A coat of klear then it's on with the decals.

• Like 2

Looking good Neal, it's turning into a very nice build :thumbsup:

Mike

Looks fantastic Neal. The pre-shading on the fuselage is nice and subtle, I'm looking forward to the decals going on.

Coming along nicely, hope the unmasking is successful.

Thanks for the kind words chaps, it is looking ok.

Where do you start with the decals? The neat little ones on the missiles, the warning stencils or the big bold ones so you can make jet whooshing noise and swoop the model over imaginary Zero's! The child in me won:

photo-30.jpg

I unmasked the canopy to help align the Jolly Rogers bar and somehow the canopy has fogged slightly at the rear, nothing too bad but a bit annoying. About a 1/3 of the decalling done, hopefully more tomorrow.

• Like 1

This is rather impressive in such a fine scale, simply extraordinary skills here, not to mention the best jet ever to grace the skies!

Nice,

Eng

• Like 1