1/72 scale Supermarine Stranraer

Dear All,

Thanks for the positive comments about the Sunderland Flying boat. They were very encouraging for a newbie like myself. Below are a few images of my last effort to build the Revell 1/72 scale Supermarine Stranraer which is a strange and ugly looking beast when you consider that it was designed by the same person who designed the beautiful Spitfire. It was not popular with the pilots who flew it hence a nasty nickname which was the "Whistling PoopHouse" except not using the word poop but the one which starts SH and ends in T. I got my wrists slapped for using the historically accurate word. I didn't realize Britmodeller was so "Prim".

The Revell offering is a reboxing of the 40 year old Matchbox kit which I would never have touched with a bargepole had my wife not bought it for me from Marionville Models in Edinburgh as a present. However, on looking at its ungainly proportions I was hooked. Indeed, I spent more time, and had more fun with this kit than any I care to remember! The detail was non existent so I had to scribe 90% of the panel lines from a blueprint I got on line. I also used a rivet wheel (trumpeter) for the first time hence why some of the rivetting has gone squint. In addition, because of the amount of rigging I set about making attachment points out of some copper wire and gluing them into holes drilled at the base of each spar. This made rigging the beast with easyline much much easier. I did the same prop effect as on the Sunderland before and also installed some resin CMK Pegasus engins to replace the kit engines which were utterly lacking in detail.

Weathering may be a bit heavy but I reckon the long range trips made in bad weather would not have kept these beauties pretty for long. Critically, I have included crew and I'm keeping my eyes out for any further alien incursions! Thanks to my wife, Rhona for buying the beast and my daughter Leacsaidh for the photos.

frontsidecloseup3_zpsbc3de4ae.jpg

frontsidecloseup2_zps4990e193.jpg

frontsidecloseup_zps0d0dfcd8.jpg

FrontDistant2_zps35cf60ab.jpg

FrontDistant_zpsbab1c3a1.jpg

frontcloseup_zpse60af01b.jpg

frontsideunder_zps2cd6e932.jpg

Backsidecloseup2_zpsfcd8fce0.jpg

frontsideunder2_zpsc0c93c1e.jpg

frontsidemiddle_zps822099a8.jpg

frontsidecloseup3_zpsbc3de4ae.jpg

frontsidecloseup2_zps4990e193.jpg

frontsidecloseup_zps0d0dfcd8.jpg

Edited by Marags
  • Like 47

Can you please edit the title and the thread, whilst the nickname may be historical, it's not very nice and we don't do swearing on the forums.

Can you please edit the title and the thread, whilst the nickname may be historical, it's not very nice and we don't do swearing on the forums.

OOps! I'm in trouble with the "Model cops"!

If you notice I didn't actually post a swear hence the apostrophe in Sh*t. It could mean Shut, Shet or indeed Shot.

What I certainly didn't mean was Dog. Nobody has ever called the Supermarine Stranraer the "Whistling Doghouse"!

Being a Newby I don't know how to edit the post so I would prefer if you just changed the name to 1/72 scale Revell Supermarine Stranraer rather than a name that is wrong and means nothing to nobody.

Strewth!

Marags

That's a crazy Matchbox kit even I don't remember and I built most of them I reckon when I was a kid!! :D

what a brilliant job you have done on her.

Love the crew....I've got a B&V 141 coming up with so much glass I just have to add the lads in!.

Great job ....top stuff.....amazing diorama as well!

That's a crazy Matchbox kit even I don't remember and I built most of them I reckon when I was a kid!! :D

what a brilliant job you have done on her.

Love the crew....I've got a B&V 141 coming up with so much glass I just have to add the lads in!.

Great job ....top stuff.....amazing diorama as well!

For a 40+ year old kit it did contain some great detail and the crew and the guns were really not bad! Once I painted the primary colours onto the crew I just daubed them liberally with Klear mixed with a little Tamiya brown and the details of the face, Maewest and clothes just jumped out. I would recommend this kit to anybody as it was terrific fun!

I'm looking forward to seeing your B&V which wasn't a looker either.

Marags

• Like 1

stunning build looks great very nice job on the paint and finish, again the water and waves look perfect, what did you use and how did you do the water???

but fantastic build and great dio very nicely done :goodjob:

stunning build looks great very nice job on the paint and finish, again the water and waves look perfect, what did you use and how did you do the water???

Dear Batcode.

I confess that I cheated and used the same seascape that I used for my Sunderland Flyingboat. It was modelling clay that I got on Amazon (£15 for 12kg). I first rolled out a 50x50cm square of clay and then added fat sausages of clay to start the waves. These were then poked and prodded with my fingertips to level out and produce a pockmarked effect. I then painted it with a mix of humbrol blues and greens (number escape me). I then highlighted around each fingerprint with a very dilute white sprayed using my Iwata Neo. Once dry I used drybrushing with white to represent froth. The froth around the hull is just cotton wool. Thanks for the interest! I've got to get back to work now.

Marags.

Agreed! How the heck did you do that??

Ha ha!! the above posted while I was asking the same question! LOL

Edited by Winenut

Another cracker but please warn us so we can take our Stugeron before looking at those stormy seas!

I love the weathering on the paintwork, for some reason I just don't think a clean aircraft in a stormy sea would have worked!

Duncan B

I don't know why everybody thinks that this is a particularly stormy scene? Where I'm from this is a perfectly normal sea! You guys must be real land lubbers.......Aharrrrrrrrrr!

thats absolutely amazing, i like the water ofcourse and i like the propellers effect too. way better than full clear discs. on some photos i can imagine all the movement on the weaves, up and down, ... very nice