Airfix 1/72 Gloster Gladiator, D.H. Tiger Moth and Hawker Hurricane

Hi All,

I have got 2 Gladiators, 2 Hurricanes and a Tiger Moth in this WIP, hopefully there should be some finished models soon.

Obligatory kit pics.

Gladiator

model-parts.jpg

pe.jpg

gun-barrels.jpg

Tiger Moth.

I want to build an Aussie plane, on the decal sheet there are decals for a Tiger Moth in New Guinea. I will upload an image of the aircraft colour schemes

kit.jpg

decals.jpg

Hurricane.

I was only going to build one but have decided I like both sets of markings.

kit.jpg

None of these kits came from Toyworld, they came from Hannants.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 2

Funny, that's exactly the new Airfix 72nd that I've bought- except with a Spit I/II bought somewhat as an afterthought (I wanted a Rotol for one of the Hurricanes, got the 3D-Kits one, but then got the Spit also, since it had a Rotol ("Aftermarket prop set- comes with bonus Spitfire!")

bob

:popcorn: ready to go!

Post Away! Made a 1/32 Matchbox DH Tiger Moth in the trainer livery .......dispatched summarily by the family cat! AAAGGHHHH!

Cant wait to see a crackin' 1/72 from Airfix

• Like 2

Post Away! Made a 1/32 Matchbox DH Tiger Moth in the trainer livery .......dispatched summarily by the family cat! AAAGGHHHH!

Cats we have 3 AAAAAAGGHHHHHH. one just vomited on the floor in the lounge room, the wife buggered of to work and now the cleaning is all mine. I can't make the kids clean it as they tell me the cat is mine. The cat belonged to the mother-in-law. Bloody cats

• Like 3

built the Gladiator a while ago, the engine & cowls are a little tricky, otherwise a nice kit. Just about to apply paint to the Hurricane - for a lovely new tool, fit was disappointingly poor, especially the two wing halves. Cockpit is fantastic for the scale though

My father and I did the floatplane version in the 80's. The flimsy strut attachment points did it in long before the cat could get near it!

• Like 2

Some updates.

Finished the Gladiator engines.

View from the top. Left engine has Eduard PE. Picture is slightly fuzzy - too lazy to get a tripod.

engines.jpg

From the side - got a tripod.

engines-1.jpg

This Gladiator will be finished with the kit decals.

Now my problems begin. I am ready for the decals but what do I do from here. This model was painted with a rattle can - Tamiya Gloss Aluminium. This is my second attempt at a Gladiator, last time I decaled and then sprayed Tamiya clear onto the model and it ate the decals.

Where do I go from here? I thought of using a enamel clear, I want to get away from enamels.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

gladiator-1.jpg

gladiator-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 4

Are you using Tamiya TS-13 clear?

I've found both Tamiya's Gloss TS-13 and particularly Matt TS-80 have the capacity to eat/melt decals.

I actually like TS80 matt and use it always. The key is to mist initial coats and build it up. If you spray a thick wet coat you're in for trouble.

Might be the same for the gloss clear?

Maybe try a light approach and build up the finish ......might save some of your hard work.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers

I did spray a heavy coat and paid the price. I also have some floor varnish that I'm playing with.

A cat story for you Winenut. Cat comes in from outside about 5.30am demanding food eats a hearty breakfast spews in the hallway and the poor wife cleans it up before leaving for Coffs Harbour 3 hours away. CATS, GROWL

Stephen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update on progress.

Painted the fuselage and made some navigation lights, but neither are in focus. Next time I will include an image of a light.

brown.jpg

Tiger Moth.

I told lies when I said I was doing a RAAF machine, changed my mind and decided to do the kit scheme and do the Aussie one next.

Bottom Wing

bottom-wing.jpg

Fuselage

fuselage-brown.jpg

I have also painted the top wing, but no picture.

Gladiator I have decaled the plane.

gladiator-decals.jpg

top wing

top-wing.jpg

I painted the Gladiator with a rattle can, I seem to put too much paint on. Give rattle cans the flick and paint with an airbrush.

Next up wheels, guns and rigging.

These new Airfix kits are great to build and cheap. Mr Airfix has done a great job.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Finally an update. Finished painting some models.

I have glued the top wing on the Gladiator. The struts fit into slots in the top wing very tightly, I had to clean the paint off the top of the struts for them to fit but the top wing is firmly fixed and quite strong.

I have also installed the clearance lights and guns. Fixed the bit on the engine that vanished. Time for rigging.

top.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

Painted the Tiger Moth ready for assembly and decals.

I really like the colour scheme on this plane.

painted-bits.jpg

The Hurricane is also painted and ready for decals.

fuselage-2.jpg

fuselage-1.jpg

As you can see I have been to Toyworld again.

The Tiger Moth is going to be done in Southern Rhodesian AF colours.

boxes.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 4

The models are coming along a treat, great stuff,......but have you considered taking your vomiting cat to the vets?!!! The Gladiator looks superb in its silver scheme and as for the decals,...as others have said,...a coat of acrylic varnish should seal them in and help to protect them but do try to apply thin coats of rattle can varnish too,

Cheers

Tony

I have given up on rattle cans as I tend to be a little heavy handed with them. Started rigging yesterday, have only got 24 more wires to put on.

Cats vomit when they eat too much to quickly - why share the food with the other cats.

Stephen

• 1 month later...