Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner China Southern

Kit: Revell (04261)

Decals: Rib-Hobby

Scale: 1:144

Hey guys,

This is my latest addition to the shelf. It's the Revell (Zvezda) B.787-8 Dreamliner done up in the China Southern special scheme. Great kit, that went together really well. Decals are by Rib-Hobby. It was my first time using this manufacturer and they're very thick but good to work with.

B787_03_zps0b22c827.jpg

B787_04_zps5a534d10.jpg

B787_05_zps39839e6c.jpg

B787_06_zps59163b30.jpg

B787_07_zpse6039f63.jpg

B787_08_zps88f4257f.jpg

B787_09_zps575c2e25.jpg

B787_10_zpsb0611b71.jpg

B787_01_zpsb704c8b7.jpg

B787_02_zpsc251ee61.jpg

B787_11_zpscfb1fbd1.jpg

Happy Modelling!

Vinny

• Like 14

Magnificent result I'd say. Always a challenge to find a livery for the new aircraft that is not plain Euro white.

I'd wondered about Rib-Hobby, they have some interesting Tu-154 schemes, so thanks for the pointers.

Cheers,

Mike

looks superb - well photographed too

I have a 888 going into production later this month in BA colours

great to see another civie on the forum - those decals look sharp and really add to your superb work

The more I see this airliner produced in kit form the more I like it.

It is quality builds like this one that increases my enthusiasm for the Dreamliner.

Nice one Vinny.

Chris

Vinny - I have had to come back for another look-in here as I was supposed to be paying attention in a training course yesterday when I spotted your build on the forum. This 888 real does look smashing - I am so tempted to get my Concorde's completed now ASAP so I can get to work on my 888 - this build has really inspired me. I spent last night sifting through the box of my 888 while the wifey was watching her rubbish soap stuff on the TV - I have plans already for mine.......

I have paid particular attention to your wings which was a vague area for me as I was unsure about how much of the surface was the flat whitish colour - nice panel line work too

Top marks to you Vinny - thanks for sharing

Thanks guys! I really am grateful for all the positive comments. It really means a lot as it's great to know my work is appreciated by the talented modelers on here whose work has been inspirational to me.

Lovely build Vinny and a great scheme! :thumbsup:

The intakes looks great, how did you do them and what colour did you use for the lip?

Thanks Ray! I painted the fan blades first, used a silver paint pen for the blade edges, then the ring part that holds them in white. This section (blades and ring) was then carefully masked off before installing into the engine housing. The two sides of the engines were mated together which left a seam line running through the middle of the intake. The seam was sanded smooth (using sandpaper rolled to a small tube and attached to the end of a paintbrush). Mr Surfacer was then applied to get rid of any imperfections. I then glued on the front section (the intake lip) of the engine. Then I was happy with any cleanup that needed to be done, I went ahead and primed the intake with Alclad primer. Then I applied Alclad Dark Aluminum. I masked off the Dark Aluminum in preparation for Humbrol Polished Aluminum (27002) which I applied at the later stages of the build after the white paint job was finished.

Vinny, 100% perfect! Did you use setting solution for the decals, and if so, what did you use cos they look amazing.

Thanks! I tend to always use setting solutions and for this build I used my favoured Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer. The decals went on well but are pretty thick especially the light blue areas. If there were any really painful sections then I might have used Daco's strong solution.

Also, out of interest, what colour did you paint the jet fan blades? The colour is spot on :)

I used Xtracolor X262 RAL7021 Schwartzgrun.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Vinny

• Like 1