All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I will start with the new mould Airfix, May 1940.  Has anyone built this?  If so, are there any pitfalls to avoid?

Agree with the posts referred to above. Not Airfix's finest hour but looks good when finished.

John.

• Thanks 1

Can any tell me which type of propeller was fitted to Dennis Noble's Hurricane- remains now displayed at Tangmere.?The aircraft serial is P3179. If you can answer my first question, what after market 1/32 propellers are available for Revell Hurricanes?

If you can help it's much appreciated.

Many thanks🖒

22 minutes ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Can any tell me which type of propeller was fitted to Dennis Noble's Hurricane- remains now displayed at Tangmere.?The aircraft serial is P3179. If you can answer my first question, what after market 1/32 propellers are available for Revell Hurricanes?

If you can help it's much appreciated.

Many thanks🖒

from the serial I'd assume a Spitfire type rotol unit.   If the remains have splintered prop blades,  (i can't see any here http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/artefact-month/hawker-hurricane-p3179)  

then it is certain.

see here for the wreck of P3175 which was in the BoB hall at Hendon

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/001/068/001068309.jpg

note wood blades.

the Revell Mk.I kit prop is basically this type BTW anyway.   The "IIc"  boxing had some retooling so I don't know about that, I think they messed with the spinner.

here the thread on this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

FWIW I don't think there is much point chucking aftermarket at the Revell kit,  now Fly do a Mk.I.

HTH

T

On 1/26/2018 at 8:57 AM, fatalbert said:

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I can get a 1/72 propeller,that is suitable for a Canadian machine without its spinner..Cheers chaps

Neil

That for the vector Troy.  

Keep in mind there were two types of RCAF Hurricanes with no spinners.  

If you are building a Hurricanes Mk. XII or XIIA, the hub mechanism was a Hamilton Standard 23E50 fitted with No. 6353 blades. This was the same combination of Hamilton Standard propeller used on Cansos, which was another aircraft type built in Canada.  So look for a PBY/Catalina/Canso prop, I'd suggest that Quickboost (QB72-006) would be the best choice in 1/72.

If you are building one of the 50 early 13** series Hurricanes (1351 to 1380) before conversion into Hurricane Mk. XIIs in 1943, then they were fitted with cut down Fairey Battle props.  My plan is to use a SBS prop for a Blenheim, but I'm not 100% that it is totally accurate.

Hope this helps,

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Julien pinned this topic
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, dogsbody said:

While perusing the Interweb, looking for intel on the first 20 Hurricanes delivered to the RCAF, I came upon the Wikipedia entry for the Hurricane. Looking through the provided pictures, I found this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane#/media/File:Hawker_Hurricanes_at_Lille-Seclin_-_Royal_Air_Force_1939-1945_Fighter_Command_C460.jpg

I clicked on it and got an enlarged version:

Hawker_Hurricanes_at_Lille-Seclin_-_Roya

I noticed the rear view mirror fitted to the upper edge of the windscreen, but inside, not outside. I've never seen this before.

Anyone else see it before me?

Chris

I have also noticed that this Hurricane is fitted with a venture below the cockpit and it also has the  little fairings just behind the propeller, at the 4 & 8 o'clock positions.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

from the serial I'd assume a Spitfire type rotol unit.   If the remains have splintered prop blades,  (i can't see any here http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/artefact-month/hawker-hurricane-p3179)  

then it is certain.

see here for the wreck of P3175 which was in the BoB hall at Hendon

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/001/068/001068309.jpg

note wood blades.

the Revell Mk.I kit prop is basically this type BTW anyway.   The "IIc"  boxing had some retooling so I don't know about that, I think they messed with the spinner.

here the thread on this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

FWIW I don't think there is much point chucking aftermarket at the Revell kit,  now Fly do a Mk.I.

HTH

T

Thank you Troy your help is very much Appreciated 🖒- I'm actually repairing a Revell kit which lost a couple of blades, hence trying to locate a replacement prop/blades. 

10 hours ago, airjiml2 said:

That for the vector Troy.  

Keep in mind there were two types of RCAF Hurricanes with no spinners.  

If you are building a Hurricanes Mk. XII or XIIA, the hub mechanism was a Hamilton Standard 23E50 fitted with No. 6353 blades. This was the same combination of Hamilton Standard propeller used on Cansos, which was another aircraft type built in Canada.  So look for a PBY/Catalina/Canso prop, I'd suggest that Quickboost (QB72-006) would be the best choice in 1/72.

If you are building one of the 50 early 13** series Hurricanes (1351 to 1380) before conversion into Hurricane Mk. XIIs in 1943, then they were fitted with cut down Fairey Battle props.  My plan is to use a SBS prop for a Blenheim, but I'm not 100% that it is totally accurate.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Many thanks Jim,I appreciate the reply,thats brilliant,and thanks to everyone else too☺

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2018 at 02:23, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Thank you Troy your help is very much Appreciated 🖒- I'm actually repairing a Revell kit which lost a couple of blades, hence trying to locate a replacement prop/blades. 

I have the Revell 3 blade one from the 1970s Hurricane going spare. 

PM me if you want it. 

Watts Propellor Colours....

I am finishing my old Revell kit as T from No 1 Squadron, France 9n November 1939. The aircraft was flown by F.O. William Olber "Boy" Mould, DFC., and was a metal wing, Watts prop aircraft. 

Does anyone know how these props were finished as new, and if they had a brass leading edge?

I restored a Senseich wooden prop when in the ATC, back in the 1960s. The centre section was varnished wood, the laminations were clear. 

The blades were fabric covered, with a brass leading edge strip over the fabric. Both fabric and protector strip were painted semi gloss black. 

The prop tips were yellow. 

I've seen photos of the Watts props that suggest they were all black, with the wood laminations just about showing through. But the blades and leading edge? 

Can anyone help? 

Peter 

3559753440_ba7649c142_b.jpgHurricane mk.I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

2527541716_722f54a43f_b.jpgHurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

2525590932_97c06bc08e_b.jpgHurricane I by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

black with 4 inch tips, not sure of exact colour of spinner tip, looks grey.

11 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

and was a metal wing, Watts prop aircraft. 

I'd find that surprising combination, what is the source?

The photos are magnificent...

Agree, the spinners look grey, but could be gunmetal/alloy I suppose. 

References to my claim that the aircraft had metal wings is a process of assumptions based on some bad photos in Paul Richies book, plus the following thread from 2010, here:

So, the A/C was L1842, flown by Mould but also by Sgt Clowes when it was rear ended by a French pilot. 

BUT as I read in some references that deliveries of metal winged aircraft didn't start until early 1940 it may well have been fabric winged, in which case my model is wrongly winged! 

Too late to sand down and rib tape the wings.....

Does any one know for certain if L1842 had metal or fabric wings or was re-winged?

The first Hurricane test-flown with metal wings was L1877 in April 1939. In a minute from the PA to AMDP, dated 17.7.39, the first Hurricane delivered for service use with metal wings was L2027 and it goes on to say that it would be delivered sometime that week and that L2028 would be flying at Brooklands later that day followed by L2046 later that week.

The last set of 35 fabric wings had just been delivered to Hawkers in mid-September 1939 with 15 sets of metal wings then being currently produced per week for Hawker by Gloster.

The existing contract for fabric wings expired that same month (according to the Hawker and AM documents that I have here.

IMHO, L1842 likely still had the fabric wings with which it was originally fitted.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Word correection

Given that it flew out with the unit in September, it will (from the information above) have been built with the fabric-covered wing, and stayed with it.  I do not imagine that any aircraft will have been rewinged in France - apart from being exceedingly unlikely I'm sure there would have been mention of it by someone somewhere.  Re-winging will have been carried out when aircraft were returned to an MU with damaged wings.  I don't suppose that there is any record of when metal wings were being produced as spares, but it seems unlikely to be this early.  So L1842 would have to have been damaged in France in September or later, returned to the UK, repaired, and then returned back to the unit for December.  Yet not refitted with a DH propeller.  Each step in this string of events is pretty unlikely.  Put them together and ... never say never, of course, but it does look like it.

If you did decide to add ribbing, remember that the position of the landing light also moved.

You could of course accept that a properly doped aircraft won't show significant sag between the ribs anyway.  As shown by the photos.

• Like 1

Reasonably conclusive evidence that L1842 would have been a fabric winged aircraft. 

thanks to everyone who has helped me with this question. 

I started building this kit in 1973 or so, when I certainly didn't have anywhere near the amount of knowledge that I do now, and more to the point, it was hard to find anything out. 

So, the kit will be finished, warts and all, as I started it way back then with night, white and aluminium undersurfaces and metal wings!! 

The kit isn't perfect, but it is the only 1/32 Hurricane that is easily available and I have plenty of other things to build. I'll post photos when it is finished

3 hours ago, occa said:

the spinner tops in those color photos look DG, same hue as the DG camoflage paint

I must say it does, especially in 3rd picture, although the picture does look"green -enhanced" all over compared to the others, looking at the grass etc..

So I'm thinking that's a solid wood prop hub, the whole thing is painted black, and a little painted spinner fixed on front?

And the tips, some look white. Old colour photos, eh?

Hellow everyone,

I'm planning to make a  Hurricane PR Mark IIB, BM969, of S Flight No. 3 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit, based at Dum Dum, India and eventually TacR version. Wondering if enyone has a good photo showing camera mountings especially PR version with strange case under the tail?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-11-27 at 9:02 AM, 72modeler said:

Steven in Winnipeg,...

...then there's those two pesky little warts (blisters) on top of the wings that IIRC were finally determined after discussion to be fitted in the event that a different version of the 40mm cannon was installed, which never materialized. Much obliged, podnuh!

Mike in Texas

Hi Mike, Do you happen to have any photos of the “warts” (blisters) on the top of the wings? I’ve heard about them but not ever seen photographs.

Glad the armour photograph was helpful. One day I’ll obtain a clearer photo...