All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

I imagine it's cheap though and as long as has a metal wing I can do anything else, but changing a whole wing is a lot of work.  I'll have a look see if there are any around.

Cheers,

Martin

Very nice, Graham, thanks. that linked to others which showed a light khaki component in the cammo. scheme.  What would the colours be and can they be had in enamels or decent sprayable acrylics?  The exhaust seems to have been so hot it burnt off the soot except at the edges.

Martin

The colours are as above: Dark Green and Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey, with Sky trim.  Photos with "light khaki" are probably showing aircraft in the earlier desert scheme of Dark Earth and Mid Stone over Azure Blue.  These colours are widely available in enamels and acrylics.  There is an aircraft in the background of the linked photo with a light component, but I suspect this was just an example of the way Ocean Grey faded quite markedly.

The exhausts weren't covered in soot but appeared as a burnt metal.

Graham, by exhausts, I meant the streak of it down the fuselage.

I've just read a review of the Airfix kit and the wings appear to be flat panelled rather than fabric, so where are the big differences between the marks?

I really don't know the niceties of these aircraft.

Cheers,

Martin

7 hours ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Not sure if this is the right section to post this enquiry, but....although I have a strong dislike of militaria, it seems to me that a decent model of one of the kites my Dad would have worked on would be a nice thing to have.

SO....knowing Bu***r all about Hurricane types, can I ask if the Airfix 48th scale Mk1 can be made into a Mk IV tank buster and if not is there a cheap alternative (by which I don't mean Italeri, Hasegawa, Tamiya, etc, prices)?  I simply can't justify those prices.

I need to make a rocket carrying version from 6 Squadron in around 1944/45.

I also have no idea what the livery was on those desert kites.

Martin

Martin

How  much can you justify for  a kit?    And how accurate do  you then want?    And how much work do  you want to  do? 

There is no Mk.IV kit in 1/48th   (Hase do  a  "IV" ,  but it's just a IIc with  some new bits)  but Hurricanes are apart from the early fabric wing Mk.I's, all very similar.

In the case of the Mk.II/IV,  the  only real difference is  the armament bays in the wing.

Here's the gen on difference between the Mk.I and Mk.II airframes,  which is the major difference.

have a read of the  entire thread.

IMO, as a Hurricane buff,  I  can give you chapter and verse on every 1/48th Hurricane kit,   but the short is this.

Assuming you want overall airframe accuracy,  and  you want a 1/48th Mk.IV,   I  would start with a Hasegawa IIc,  it was  reboxed by Revell of Germany  and is the one of the commonest Hase boxings.  (so  findable at  a  reasonable price, try asking on our  wanted page )  Hasegawa  did 24 different  Hurricane boxings.

You woud  need to find an armoured rad  (there have been resin ones but is armour added to the original one)  Tropical filter,   some Hase boxing have them, but the standard  IIc doens't  (I  suspect you  could mod a Airfix  Mk.I  tropfilter) and  some rockets, and a 44 gal  drop tank...why, see below, but all are 'findable' 

I can  give you the glitch list as well.

The Hobbycraft II is basically the old tool Airfix  'cloned'  but done as  Mk.IIc (despite  what the  box might says it's an early IIC) but with trency panel lines.

I can have posted a list of all the glichtes in the old Airfix Mk.I (and thus HC kit)

The Hobbycraft is now not a common kit,  and the price difference between that and a Hase will be a few quid, if that.  

The quality  difference is not  work cheapskating over unless you time is worth  £2 an  hour....

It's not horribly off,  and can make a decent shelf model , or a really good model with a lot of work.

Italeri do a  IIc,  but they tend to be wildly overpriced to start with, and it's full of stupid errors. 

The IV wing is very similar to a IIc  wing,  and the hase IIc kit come with the IId/IV wing insert as standard.

I need to re-up the IV wing photos and wing and armoured rad  that are linked in the linked thread below, but they should be visible with some right clicking and refershing (see PB mess threads)

The 6 sq planes by 44/45  were operating in the Adriatic,  and in Day Fighter Scheme,  Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium  Sea Grey

There are a some photos here, note the asymetrical loads commonly used,   I think most (all?) of  these pics were  taken on Prkos, as I note @Graham Boak   has already stated.

But, there is this thread, 

this is typical

large.jpg

red spinner, sky band,  upperwing are C type,   trop filter.

Note,  if you dad served post war 6 sq were one of the last RAF Hurricane units,  some got a overall coat of aluminium  dope.

photos have PB tho

If you  really want a showstopper, get the 1/24th Trumpeter IIc  kit,  and  some leftover rockets from an Airfix Typhoon.

have a read of this and  the links,   it should answer your questions.

OK, the lighter colour of the exhaust stains show that the engine has been running on lean mixture for longer range.  Presumably those missions where they were carrying a fuel tank on one wing, as one aircraft has in the background, but this was not standard.  Looks good on a model.

A red spinner was standard in the Mediterranean but here I'm not convinced - the one behind is clearly lighter and thus in Sky.

Note that as a 1945 photo the upperwing roundel is not the usual red/blue carried earlier in the war but red/white/blue.

If you do end up using rockets from a Typhoon, the Hurricane didn't have the same mountings directly onto the wing but had a curved blastplate between the wing and the rocket rails.

Troy, that's going to take some reading, thanks. I certainly won't be doing a 24th scale model. I find them just too big and couldn't display one hence 48th.

As to work involved, if the wing is very different, no, but if there isn't in fact much difference and both are, say, a similar shape with just different panel lines/details, I could make the changes.  Different parts like tropical filter, armored radiator, even rockets are easily knocked up. I could get a chum to cast me 8 rockets from my master.  My Dad always spoke of 8 rockets ,so the assymetric load won't be the one I do.

If I can get a reasonably priced Hasegawa II I would consider it, unless I can get a discount on an Airfix and the work required isn't too bad. It might be better to start with the best kit of any Hurricane and redo the differences. I will try to find drawings of the different wings on the 'net.

Graham, thanks for the colour references.  I shall bear your comments on the blast plate in mind, thanks.

Cheers,

Martin

11 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

OK, the lighter colour of the exhaust stains show that the engine has been running on lean mixture for longer range.  Presumably those missions where they were carrying a fuel tank on one wing, as one aircraft has in the background, but this was not standard.  Looks good on a model.

A red spinner was standard in the Mediterranean but here I'm not convinced - the one behind is clearly lighter and thus in Sky.

Note that as a 1945 photo the upperwing roundel is not the usual red/blue carried earlier in the war but red/white/blue.

If you do end up using rockets from a Typhoon, the Hurricane didn't have the same mountings directly onto the wing but had a curved blastplate between the wing and the rocket rails.

In the link all the 6 Ss planes have the Asymetric loadout.

Spinner,  does look light but compare tone to both roundel and fin flash.

note this

A_Hawker_Hurricane_Mk_IV_of_No._6_Squadr

looked like a very weathered Spinner with red wearing off?

the oversize underwing roundels seem common on the Prkos photos too, or mising, pic 3 below.

The known photos are of LF498 'R' of 6 squadron, rockets on starboard wing, drop tank on port.

large.jpg

While not listed as being 'R' I think this is the same plane, note painted out sky band, and unusual underwing roundel are the same, and letter could well be 'R'

large.jpg

I have wondered if this plane has been repainted from desert colours, note ow contrast between upper colours, lack of yellow leading edges and scruffy apperance.

another shot from same session

large.jpg

note it seems not to be a fixed arrangement.

I read somewhere a load of 1 x40mm gun on one wing and 4x rockets on other wing was tried, but the gun recoil shook the rockets off!

regarding colours, here is shot listed at being at Prkos, Yugoslavia, note yellow leading edges, and upper wing C roundels, presumably red spinners, same tone red in markings.

large.jpg

I did mention the C type upperwing,  but that assumes Martin knows the common term....

Assume I know none of the common terms.  Remember this is for my Dad's memory. I have no interest in militaria, but I can definitely say that 8 rockets were carried when Dad was fitting them. He used to discuss them with his brother and told a story of a fitter who ran around screaming when the OTHER 4 rockets went off together on the ground when the flaps were down and knocked the fitter that side over the latrine block, basically unharmed. The screamer had assumed the same had happened his side, but of course it hadn't.  Leaving the flaps down saved the guy on the side where the rockets went off.

I have notebooks hand drawn and written by Dad and his 2 brothers while training. They include details of markings and even the building where doping was done on repaired fabric.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Assume I know none of the common terms.  Remember this is for my Dad's memory.

OK, Martin you  had my email, it's still the same,  email if  you wish.

1 hour ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Troy, that's going to take some reading, thanks. I certainly won't be doing a 24th scale model. I find them just too big and couldn't display one hence 48th.

As to work involved, if the wing is very different, no, but if there isn't in fact much difference and both are, say, a similar shape with just different panel lines/details, I could make the changes.  Different parts like tropical filter, armored radiator, even rockets are easily knocked up. I could get a chum to cast me 8 rockets from my master.  My Dad always spoke of 8 rockets ,so the assymetric load won't be the one I do.

If I can get a reasonably priced Hasegawa II I would consider it, unless I can get a discount on an Airfix and the work required isn't too bad. It might be better to start with the best kit of any Hurricane and redo the differences. I will try to find drawings of the different wings on the 'net.

or cut  to the chase,   if you read  something on the net that says something different from what I,  and Graham Boak, Steve Smar or Tony O Toole for example say,   it's most likely  wrong.    There is a  lot of  misinformation about the poor old Hurricane.

Same with drawings,   most are wrong, the only good ones are the ones by Arthur Bentley,  and they don't cover the Mk.II,  (read the link on this) ,  I don't  know any that cover the Mk.IV wing,  the thread I  linked has photos of the wing of  the Mk.IV in Belgrade.

If this sounds arrogant,  I suggest ploughing through some of  my previous Hurricane posts,  I'm not an expert,  but a fan,   a lot of the time I'm doing a join the  dots  thing,  the info is  out there, just not collated, and certainly not in the books!

For example, the Prop and Spinners thread,  thanks to the input of other members,  is the best guide on this  I know of ANYWHERE.  This is where for

Overall, the "best" (least faults)  kit in 1/48th I think in the Hasegawa,   and the IIc is very close.  It's glitches are fabric error apart, easy to fix. 

Suggestion, explain what youe aesthetic requirements are,  I've done you 'Accurate without insanity' BTW

re  Airfix, they are TWO kits, the Mk.I from  1979, and a new  tool Mk.I from 2014.   (with Trop and Sea Hurricane boxings, all same  plastic)

If  the 2014 new tool had absoluetly nailed the Hurricane, I'd say convert that.  It didn't much, close but no cigar. 

Since you don't have a kit,   I really suggest starting a wanted thread,  with the why, as someone will have one....

Rockets are a spare in many kits,  eg Mosquito's and Beaufighters. 

Is there a mad rush?   If you want to get it right, i suggest there is a bit of learning curve,  Hurricanes  are not really complex,  and  in some ways you don't need to know all of it, just what's relevant.   I've actually linked pretty much everthing you actually NEED to know already,   as I've filtered the information for  you.

If you want to brush up on Hurriane markings,

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

in particular page 19, for the camo diagram, and postion of the markings, this applies to all marks with minor variations.

unless you dad noted down any serials,  or where he was stationed,  then you are going to either make a representative model,  or use KZ188/C  above as an example of an early 1945 era  6 Squadron machine.

Given your dislike of miltary drab,  did you dad stay with 6Sq postwar?  If so, do one in alumnium dope,  no pic on line, but I have it in a book.

cheers

T

Troy,

this all seems like a nightmare.  I can find almost nothing on the 'net in the way of pictures showing differences between the wings.  You say the new Airfix Mk 1 is no great shakes. Everyone else says it's the best, but I accept that the Hasegawa II is the one for making a IV.

I want the model to be accurate, of course, but there seems to be just too many little things that nobody would notice or think about.  This thing about the asymmetric loading worries me. My Dad never once mentioned the tank under one wing. He always talked of 8 rockets.  Making those rockets is really easy for me if I can find the info on their appearance, including the blast plate under the wing.

Dad seemed to get back home pretty quick after the War, so the silver Hurricane (which I naturally love the look of) wouldn't have been in his experience.  He did mention the Balkan operations though, saying he'd been to Yugoslavia or fitted aircraft that went there, can't quite recall which.

I suppose what I need is a drawing, if such exists, of a Mk IV in rocket carrying condition that I can trust.  Then I can make anything from the kit world fit it.

Would I be right in thinking that you're saying no such drawing exists?  I wouldn't be surprised.  As to fiddly stuff like props and spinners, I would accept what you say on which of each the kites at 6 Sqdn. had and simply model those.  Making spinners and props isn't really a problem, although props are a long winded faff!

I must thank you and Graham for your trouble in helping me with my ignorance.  I wish I could say I was genuinely interested in these matters, but that would be fanciful.  This is just for Dad's memory.  But for that reason it should ring true.

Cheers,

Martin

Ignore the earlier props which were for Mk.I Hurricanes and simply use the Rotol "bullet" one that was common to the Mk.IIs and IVs.  

Forget asymmetric loading if it bothers you.  This was only for long-range missions and normally 8 rockets would be carried.  The same aircraft could use either, changing from one mission to the next.

PS if you can't get red/white/blue roundels for the wing then just use the red/blue and call it a late 1944 aircraft.  Otherwise it will be the same.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Well, thanks, Graham.  It all sounds so easy when you experts say it.

I will seek out a Hasegawa kit and go from there.

it is really.    Your  just asking for information about  pet  subject.

I  have actually answered pretty much all your questions in the posts and  links above.   

I suppose what I need is a drawing, if such exists, of a Mk IV in rocket carrying condition that I can trust.  Then I can make anything from the kit world fit it.

Would I be right in thinking that you're saying no such drawing exists?  I wouldn't be surprised.

A specfic Mk.IV wing, no,  but it's easy to collate,  from a basic C  wing, it has a few different panels,   and there are photos of the Mk.IV in Belgrade, plus I posted drawings of rocket rails and blast plates,as well a D wing,  which will give you all you need. And the armoured  radiator.

These are  in PB limbo, but when you see what I  mean,  you laugh at how easy it all is.  Honest.

OK, rockt rails and blast plates,    the gun panels are for the earlier  wing.

36332050846_be2382ae27_o.jpgHurriIVrockets1-48 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Armoured radiator,   and front rocket.

36332050956_dd23be1514_o.jpgHurriIVradbombracks1-48 by losethekibble, on Flickr

useful shot showing the armored radiator, not how the armour is an add on

36240924651_d5b6d3100a_o.jpgmg303HurricaneMkIID_zps4445b05c by losethekibble, on Flickr

here's a standard II

radiator.jpg

The IId wing,  note the Mk.IV could have the 40 mm guns as  an option,  the wing panels on the IV  (or  later IV only?)  lack the larger door by the small 'D' shape rear door.

35568750093_2fc3648c0e_o.jpgHurric

aneIIdwingpanels1-24th by losethekibble, on Flickr

this shows the IIc wing,  note it has two panels behind the main access door,  compared to the one 'D' door  above, but the basic bays are the same, and the 0.303 sighting gun

mk2c-wing_0.jpg

OK, here's the upper wing of the Mk.IV in Belgrade, note deletion of inner large door   compared to IIC,  and rear 'D' door

the landinglight has been plated over, the lump by the wing join strip to the right is a camera gun.

36332251186_1d6d552ff8_o.jpgHuIVBelDSC04898 by losethekibble, on Flickr

36240601171_58ab2094e7_o.jpgHuIVBelDSC04975 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Here's  a Sea Hurricane nosed over,  fitted with just the blast plates

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF728_K1_

If done with rocket blast plate,  that covers the underside.

Easy ;)

Making those rockets is really easy for me if I can find the info on their appearance, including the blast plate under the wing.

why bother. Ask,  I have some RP spare,  the rockets are standard 3inch RP's,  the rails are the Mk I type,  but they have  been in other  kits.

I  may have some rails, the ancient Monogram kit had rails,  but I'd need to check.

I'm pretty certain they come in several Tamiya Beaufighter boxings, so they are  in many a spares bin.   Ask in the Wanted section.

You say the new Airfix Mk 1 is no great shakes.

It  has a lot going for  it,  but it  also has some errors that as fully paid up Hurricane anorak I'm rather upset about,    the big one for me is the wing fuselage join.

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986216-148-airfix-new-tool-hurricane-mki-p3039-from-no229-squadron-completed-on-31-10-at-1150-pm/&do=findComment&comment=2059044

great build by Basilisk as well.

Not insurmountable but not right either.   it has beter fabric than the hase,  but the has has better, finer panel lines, and crisper plastic.

And it's a Mk.I

A lot of what I'm on about  most folks won't know,  and neither would you if you hadn't asked :banghead:

As for the Aluminiun dope,  you must be able to ind out when your dad returned to the UK,   and  even if he didn't serve when they got  repainted,  you can be pretty darn certain he'd have worked on them before,   they didn't build  that many Mk.IV's,  and production stopped in July 44.

They retained the rocket rails post war IIRC.

PS found one :)

hawker-hurricane-kz609-squadron-raf_360_

How  much of rush are you in to do this?   If no rush, sit back, enjoy the ride.   

You like classic cars and  engineering I believe? 

in an article called Hurricane Veracity,  the author describes them 'as a real engineers aeroplane',   I think you'll  like the Hurricane the more you  know of them, have a read here for a taster.

http://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/a-complex-structure/

a real bridge between classic 30's biplanes and the modern monocoque Spitfire.

And, even though warplanes are not your  thing,  it  can be argued that the Hurricane  was one of the most important aircraft in history,  without it  the Battle of  Britain would have  been lost,   and that sucess alone kept 'The West' involved in the fight againts fascism,  and eventually meant only half of Europe was 'liberated' by the Soviet Union and all that entailed.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

That's another huge lot of info.!

Special thanks for the rocket rack details.

The Sea Hurricane wing appears to be rivetted, so is metal, yet I understood Sea Hurricanes were early birds.  

I'm in no rush at all to do this as I have my scratchbuilt Hornet Moth, first ever flight Spitfire and foiled Lightning F1 to do. I'm only doing those because my normal stuff seems to have gone away in Summer and my model yacht needs a fin and bulb keel which my son is doing for me in his home furnace.  So, I find myself at something of a loss for projects.  I keep scenery and slot cars for the Winter days.   But I find research only interesting up to a point.  I can no longer afford to travel around the land looking at real stuff. I wish I could, then I wouldn't have to trouble you good folks for details.

Having said that I am a rivet counter (for real, not an armchair type) and have various tools for making them too!

As my Dad died in 1973 and his brothers not long after and my Mum died a few years ago, there is nobody left who can tell me when Dad actually left the RAF, but as a plumber, he was very quickly pushed into War restoration of damaged houses and involved in the new builds in the Essex area.  The Police would overlook the fact he ran his Austin 7 Special on paraffin if they wanted their new houses plumbed so they could move in quickly!  Thanks to his notebooks I could tell you exactly how that silver doped was applied, but I don't think he was around when they were done. He did however tell me how they used to watch the odd Beaufort (was it?) fly into the Yugoslav hills as they couldn't lift the load they were carrying, so he was definitely with the Squadron when they moved to the Baltic. Just not for long I guess. He also described how the squadron drove all up Italy and that was when he learned to drive, by just sitting up front and watching the driver.  He never did take a driving test in civvy street.

I'll put an ad in the Wanted section for a Hasegawa IId kit and we'll take it from there.

I will try to get my head round all the little differences on the wings with panels deleted, changed, etc. 

The photos you sent help a lot.  The upended one showing blast plates....is that a later metal wing on one of the early Sea Hurricanes?

And what's the story behind the American markings on the Belgrade kite?  That wing looks in a right old state! Especially around the wing joint cover strip.

There's a Hurricane being restored at Little Gransden, which is fairly near us. I might see if I can gain access to it.  I don't know what version it is. I think they said it was a Hurribomber.

Once again, thanks for all the info and help.

I'll let you know how I get on with obtaining the Hasegawa kit.

Cheers,

Martin

The Sea Hurricane wing appears to be rivetted, so is metal, yet I understood Sea Hurricanes were early birds.  

Sea Hurricanes exist in a variety of  flavours,  only 600 Hurricanes had fabric  wings,  out of over 14,000 built....and I've  never heard  of fabric  winged Sea Hurricane. 

You get  Sea Hurricane I,  and Sea Hurricane II.   For what you want you  don't need to  know about them,   but  they are  part from somenaval equipemt, the  same airframe,andhe  pic is  the only one i know of showing said detail.

The  crashed one is  a Sea Hurri IIC,  on a used for training Firefly pilots  with rockets BTW.

He did however tell me how they used to watch the odd Beaufort (was it?) fly into the Yugoslav hills as they couldn't lift the load they were carrying, so he was definitely with the Squadron when they moved to the Baltic.

Beaufighter I'd  think.

And what's the story behind the American markings on the Belgrade kite?  That wing looks in a right old state! Especially around the wing joint cover strip.

Yugoslav star,   there were a couple  of  Yugoslav sq  in  the RAF, and  the planes were  later handed over,  used till 1948  or so,  hence the  one in Belgrade.

the  only Mk.IV in th UK  is in Birmingham, hanging up, painted  as  a BoB plane.... :fraidnot:

There's a Hurricane being restored at Little Gransden, which is fairly near us. I might see if I can gain access to it.  I don't know what version it is. I think they said it was a Hurribomber.

Very early  Mk.I with fabric  wings,  but  as they have seen fit to  do  all the interioir  in grey-green when all eveidence shows aluminum dope I'm not  sure how  much they know..

I'm being overly cynical,   the  basic  shapes are the same.

I'll put an ad in the Wanted section for a Hasegawa IId kit

the II D is  a rare kit,   the  IIc is the  commonest.

Martin, if you know your Dad's service number (or even if you don't, I believe), you should be able to request his service records. Which will (should) give you all you want to know about the wheres and whens.

Hopefully one of the other denizens here will know chapter and verse on the exact process.

10 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Martin, if you know your Dad's service number (or even if you don't, I believe), you should be able to request his service records. Which will (should) give you all you want to know about the wheres and whens.

Hopefully one of the other denizens here will know chapter and verse on the exact process.

funnily enough  I just emailed Martin this

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

The Police would overlook the fact he ran his Austin 7 Special on paraffin if they wanted their new houses plumbed so they could move in quickly! 

Your dad was spinning you a tale there.

I own 4 1930s Austin 7s, including an Ulster and a racing special, and its impossible to run an Austin 7 engine on paraffin.

Paraffin is a heavy oil; like a light diesel oil. Its a heating oil. Its ignition point is very different to petrol

A7s can only run on petrol

I can assure you that having grown up round Austin 7s I know they certainly can be run on Paraffin if they have a low enough (wartime) compression ratio and a bronze carburettor, much as I had on my Morris sidevalved boat engine of similar age.  Two tanks, one petrol, on which you start and warm up. One paraffin, which you switch over to, once the engine is warm.  And I am old enough to recall him doing it shortly before he bought the bigger Ford (ex PO ) van that became our family transport.

He built 3 A7 specials, my uncle built one, I had all the parts for my own. My grandad had 2 saloons when I was tiny. I helped start the Essex A7 Club and was its editor for a while, I had a Chummy, Nippy and Ruby at various times.

The suggestion my father "spun me a line" is bloody offensive, btw.  Especially as my mother and grandmother had at various times confirmed it.  Maybe if your experience went back as far as mine and my family's you could speak with more authority.

Martin

• Like 2