Pocher 1/8 Aventador

I've decided.....

The Aventador won, simply because I think it will be (hopefully) less of a challenge than the Alfa Spider.

I think the Alfa will be another one of those Pocher's that requires extensive 'fiddling and twiddling' just to get the bits to fit whereas the Aventador - although apparently not without its own problems - should be less of a struggle.

Also, there's already a Pocher Classic being built on the Forum, so two of them at once might be a tad overkill.

I've ordered the Aventador DVD from Paul Koo and there will be (as usual) a ton of enhancements and (hopefully) improvements.

I've downloaded a genuine Aventador workshop manual and parts catalogue to help as well as trawling the web for over 100 close up and detail pictures so far.

This build will very likely be going in tandem with another big car project - more about that one shortly I hope - so it might be quite a long road before completion.

Let the fun begin.....

Roy.

P1010072_zps5671de0d.jpg

P1010074_zps018e7c1f.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Looking forward to this for 2 reasons, first because it's pochers newest car and second is i know that you will do it some proper justice as some other attempts i have seen have looked a tad half arsed

Shaun

First instalment……

OK. I’ve opened the box.
First problem – where do I put the lid?

The kit box isn’t just big, it’s HUGE. Standing on end, it isn’t much smaller than a dishwasher or fridge. The lid is one of these ‘drop-over’ kind of lids that are a pain to get off. You need to lift it completely vertically and straight upwards, or it won’t come off. Coupled with that, there’s the ‘vacuum’ effect which wants to suck the lid closed again!
Once off though, you effectively have two dishwashers next to your bench…..

Then there’s the astronomical number of sprue bags and other parts. I gave up any idea of an accurate count once I got lost at around 40. No kidding.
That’s not including the separate ginormous box of umpteen die-cast and large plastic parts – or the etch bits – or the metal components – or the decals - or the screws/nuts/bolts……..
You can GUARANTEE that the part wanted is always at the bottom of the box.

First – the seats.
These are moulded in a soft vinyl material that looks quite ‘leathery’ but the stitching really wants picking out in orange to match some of my reference pics.
This will be done using orange acrylics and a magnifying glass !!!
The vinyl has been soapy-scrubbed and dried in prep.

There are about 400 stitches per seat so it might take a bit of time.
Here’s hoping…..

Roy.

P1010001_zpsd28a42b5.jpg

• Like 5

If the Aston and the Rolls are any indication of how you will handle this one,everyone looking in on this will not be surprised....best of luck with the kit and the work involved to get it to where you want it.

Edited by bball23

Many thanks for your kindness everyone.

I hope my build lives up to your expectations.

Right.

The method I tried for stitch painting came from an idea on another forum.
Paint about 10 or so stitches, and wipe/scrape off any surplus paint with a cloth before moving on…..

After painting one seam of stitches in this way, I was unhappy with the result.
Too messy, colour ‘bleed’ into the vinyl hard to remove, and bits of cloth/fluff in the paint.

The only solution was to use a much finer brush, take a deep breath and paint each stich very carefully one at a time, without any over-splodge.
Very slow, VERY boring, extremely eyeball-straining, but far, far neater and a more even result.
I have no intention of sitting for hours painting two seats though. These will be done ‘bit at a time’ as other parts progress.

Almost as tedious as spoking the wheels on the Rolls Torpedo!

BTW.... The odd 'streaky' look on the seat back is completely invisible on the actual seat. It's a peculiarity of the camera flash, and the vinyl surface.

Roy.

P1010002_zps9ab9bd91.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks again guys.

In between (seemingly) miles of orange stitching, I started on the interior floor.

This part was scrubbed, primed and then sprayed satin black.
The seat shells were also de-seamed, primed and painted, with details on the seat controls picked out in BMF.
Surprisingly for a kit of this size and cost, there are no carpets of any kind provided.
As my interior is going to match a Googled orange Aventador, I have to fit grey carpets with orange trim around the floor mats.

Paper templates of the carpet parts were made and test fitted before the carpet pieces were cut from self-adhesive dolls house carpet. I’ve used this stuff on several large scale care builds as it’s easy to use, inexpensive, available in umpteen colours and is just about the correct scale.
The tunnel sides were fitted first, then the sections underneath the seats. After that, the floor foot wells.
The foot well over-mats (to be fitted later) have to have orange binding and this will done by wrapping sticky-back orange vinyl around very fine wire and forcing the vinyl into a tight creased edge. The ‘piping’ will be fitted underneath the floor mat sections with only the thin bead showing. Hopefully a nice result when I get to that bit.

In the meantime, I’ve looked at the three main parts that form the upper transmission tunnel.
I’m happy to say that these parts have confirmed for me that this kit is a REAL Pocher…..
Huge sprue attachments, and thick seam lines in all the places you don’t want them.
After sawing the parts from the tree, the stubs and seams were all filed and sanded off.
Then the centre section was primed and painted satin black and the other two parts were primed and painted orange.
I originally painted the centre parts grey – as in the pictures – but decided to go back to my original plan.
The Aventador I’m using as reference – remember?

Once dry, all manner of little fiddly bits need BMF’ing and umpteen minute decals have to be applied.

Roy.

P1010004_zpsda621e19.jpg

P1010008_zps8d0a21e5.jpg

P1010009_zps5e6c0619.jpg

P1010010_zps652a7280.jpg

P1010011_zpsd7e514d2.jpg

P1010012_zps31f17f82.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Paper templates of the carpet parts were made and test fitted before the carpet pieces were cut from self-adhesive dolls house carpet. I’ve used this stuff on several large scale care builds as it’s easy to use, inexpensive, available in umpteen colours and is just about the correct scale.

Ahh, great minds...

I discovered this resource about a month ago. I ordered doll house carpet for the Rolls and love its scale look. Not ready by a long shot, but glad I have it on hand.

Your usual off-the-charts skills are evident. Keep entertaining us....

I will be watching this, not a kit I will ever build (for one thing I could never afford to buy one and another my skills pale into insignificance when compared to yours) but I still love to watch a master at work.