New Revell Tornado: Tail issue?

Adats-Coyote

I mention this in the thread for the nose issue:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962808-new-revell-148th-tornado-nose-issue/page-2?hl=tornado

So since we were on the topic of major corrections of the Revell Tornado, I wanted to point this out and decided to start a new thread to ask if this can be confirmed:

Have you noticed the large deformation on the leading edge of the base of the fin? As if someone crushed it with their thumb? revell10.jpg

Here are some pics to illustrate what I mean:

tornad10.jpg

tornad11.jpg

tornta10.jpg

tornta11.jpg

tornta12.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess we might have to slap on some epoxy putty...

I am not slamming the Revell kit,which is by far the best 1/48 Tornado, but Italeri also got this section wrong and Paragon sold a resin correction.

I think the same is needed for this kit.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Edited by Adats-Coyote

I've not had a chance to look at mine yet, but the photo's do suggest that the kit has a problem in that area. I have a paragon correction set at home, so I'll compare when I get back to blighty on Saturday....thanks for pointing it out, looks like everyone may have missed it.

Well, has anybody confirmed this yet?

Seems to me this "error" is worst than the same error in that area on the Italeri kit, which if I recall, stirred up quite a "Tornado" in a drinking glass. (pun intended)

Can anyone check their paragon correction and compare it with the Revell kit please?

I unfortunately don't own this so cannot confirm exept with photos.

Alley Cat might "step up" or any other resin manufacturer. I myself will use milliput and rescribe and also add the missing panel lines.

I had a look at this today and took a few pics, don't really think it's that bad, take a look...........

006-6.jpg

004-13.jpg005-11.jpg008-2.jpg

I've checked the "offending" part against Paragon's part (installed on my Italeri GR1) and it is far too pinched at the front as spotted by A-C in his first post - indeed as described as being "crushed by ones thumb'. The Paragon part is pretty accurate, well certainly comparing the photo's posted by A-C anyway. Nowt that a dollop of Milliput won't sort out......

Thank you Bill for confirming that the part needs beefing up with Milliput. :worthy:

I guess I wasn't dreaming...

It looks like the person who cut the molds misinterpreted the CADs.

These things happen, unfortunately...

The rest of this kit is amazing!

Worth more than I paid, in my honest opinion!

This incident is just a speed bump to overcome in the building process of this kit, that's all!

Off to work I go! :pilot:

Are you all aware there are 2 types of pre coolers and exhausts, the narrow type fitted to the GR1 and the wider type fitted to the F3, GR4 and probably the ECR? Accordingly all the panels in this area are differently shaped. I only found this out by accident when trying to fit post mod pre cooler exhausts and panels from our GR4 onto our GR1, subsequent research revealed the answer.

I'd suggest that the model is based upon a GR1/IDS but it is being compared to a GR4.

Are you all aware there are 2 types of pre coolers and exhausts, the narrow type fitted to the GR1 and the wider type fitted to the F3, GR4 and probably the ECR? Accordingly all the panels in this area are differently shaped. I only found this out by accident when trying to fit post mod pre cooler exhausts and panels from our GR4 onto our GR1, subsequent research revealed the answer.

I'd suggest that the model is based upon a GR1/IDS but it is being compared to a GR4.

The photo's posted above all seem to show identical shapes, which are at odds with the kits part. Those photo's show both GR1 AND GR4 airframes......

EDIT: We'll I've just trawled through dozens of walks rounds - including those on here which are rather excellent- and can see what m3bobby means - I think. The panel in front of the metal exchange part is bulkier and wider on the GR4, though not by much. A swipe with wet n'dry should deal with that for a GR1, but seems to be right for the GR4' and

I assume the IDS in the kit. The nib fairing in front is however too pinched and would to benefit from some milliput.

Edited by Bill Clark

The modified precooler and exhaust is about ½” wider on each side which doesn’t sound a lot but it fixed the problem of overheating in that area that the GR1/IDS suffered with. Below are some comparison photos of a GR1 and GR4. I’ve badly circled in green all the panels on the GR4 which are now wider to accommodate the extra width of the ducting. Circled in Red is the giveaway to the modified precooler, a small straight edge panel which overlaps 2 panels, the GR1/IDS doesn’t have this as the 2 panels are curved.

copy5_zps291a32d6.jpg

4132827_orig_zps95477f4e.jpg

copy1_zps539f499c.jpg

• Like 1

Quote m3bobby:

The modified precooler and exhaust is about ½” wider on each side which doesn’t sound a lot but it fixed the problem of overheating in that area that the GR1/IDS suffered with. Below are some comparison photos of a GR1 and GR4. I’ve badly circled in green all the panels on the GR4 which are now wider to accommodate the extra width of the ducting. Circled in Red is the giveaway to the modified precooler, a small straight edge panel which overlaps 2 panels, the GR1/IDS doesn’t have this as the 2 panels are curved.

copy5_zps291a32d6.jpg

copy1_zps539f499c.jpg

Thanks for the info!

Yes, looks like the area is more appropriate for a GR4 with the modified precooler and exhaust that is about ½” wider on each side, not for an early GR1. You can clearly see the transition fron front to back changes because of the extra width which seems to match the one on the kit

But it doesn't explain the offending "depression" above the transition I mention on the kit which is not present on any pics, may it be GR1 or GR4... IMHO.

Here's your pic which I added the affected area in green:

torn_g10.jpg

Here's a modified pic from Muzz (thanks Muzz)

I put the offending areas in red and dark red for a better visual undertanding... Check this on the kit:

008-2a10.jpg

So I guess there's a little fixing/milliput required for a GR4 and alot of fixing for an early GR1 (I would imagine this was retrofitted to later birds)

Alley Cat-Barracudacast-Quickbost or anybody could step-up...

Resin correction needed for at least an early GR1 since the fix for late GR1/GR4 is easy.

What do you guy's think?

Thanks everyone for chiming in! Very appreciated!

Edited by Adats-Coyote
  • Like 1

Another modified pic from Muzz to better understand what I mean by "offending depression":

005-1111.jpg

Just my interpretations/analysis of all the pics above and others on the net...

And my proposed fix.

Hope this helps to understand what I mean!

Edited by Adats-Coyote

Another modified pic from Muzz to better understand what I mean by "offending depression":

005-1111.jpg

Just my interpretations/analysis of all the pics above and others on the net...

And my proposed fix.

Hope this helps to understand what I mean!

Yep! Fully understood. I've already added Milliput to mine and filed down one side. Looks a lot better.

I see what you mean. Is there any photo's I can get from any angle that may help? I have access to our GR4 all the time but now our regular GR1 has gone I only have access to the other GR1 at the week ends.

I see what you mean. Is there any photo's I can get from any angle that may help? I have access to our GR4 all the time but now our regular GR1 has gone I only have access to the other GR1 at the week ends.

Thanks for the offer! I'd certainly never noticed the difference until A-C mentioned it, and you explained the whys! So thanks to both of you!

Revell have got the wider unit quite right, for a GR4 it seems, the front part, not so much! A half inch either side may not seem much, on a model BUT the difference in shape, especially on a glossy paint job..IS noticeable...now how about some radome measurements PLEASE!?

Is there the possibility of German and UK upgrades diverging, resulting in differently- shaped solutions for the same problem ?

It seems that early Tornado's including the GR1 had the earlier fit, and the posts on this thread suggest the GR4, ECR and F3's had the later wider fit. It probably follows that there was a standard upgrade fits all approach. That said some Luftwaffe aircraft that a totally different, bulkier RWR fit.......

I cannot compare to the kit parts (as I obviously have not bought it yet) but here are some pics of the Paragon part which is intended for the Italeri kit:

tonka_zps8efd1856.jpg

It looks certainly different from the Revell parts.

Rene

I cannot compare to the kit parts (as I obviously have not bought it yet) but here are some pics of the Paragon part which is intended for the Italeri kit:

tonka_zps8efd1856.jpg

It looks certainly different from the Revell parts.

Rene

Thanks Caerbannog! It Certainly confirms our concerns! That part looks good!

This picture may suggest that the base line of the forward fin root (on German ECRs) is slightly concave. One other photo suggests there may be a sharper forward "corner" on the heat exchanger of German ECRs (see what looks like a circular highlight directly under the leading edge intake). Even if that's the case, Revell would seem to have overemphasized it a bit.

Edited by tempestfan

And they corrected the mirror imaged instrument panel on the recent 1/32 Spitfire.

Nick

Yes - but that was before the first production. Anyway - we will see and if they do not it will not make the model unbuildable :-)

Rene