Flying Legends 2014

Sundown

Hey guys,

I've been in a bit of a quandry recently about which air show to attend. I would normally visit the RIAT but a combination of ticket price and so-so line up left me reluctant to part with the cash. As a result I have just booked my tickets for the Flying Legends show on the Saturday and I must say I'm really looking forward to it. However, I've never been to Duxford so my question is:

What tips/advice can you offer for getting the most out of the day?

I would really appreciate any input so thanks in advance for any contributions..

Cheers,

Sean

Spend some time beyond the Land War building - there's a bank where you get some excellent views of aircraft turning on for their display. Down the other end, paying the extra for the static line is worthwhile. Don't forget to look in every hangar.

Otherwise it's much like every large airshow - walking shoes, suncream, rain poncho, credit card.

Hi, Sean.

Get there as early as you can (traffic queues to get into Duxford airshows can get a bit silly at times). There is more than days's worth of stuff to see in the museum, so getting there early is very useful from that point of view.

If you don't want to use the "tank bank" behind the Land Warfare Hall, then large sections of the primary crowd-line are pretty much full up by about 8:15 (a pain if you want to take photos, but not such a big deal if you're there to watch the great aircraft do their thing). The flying starts at 2:00 pm and finishes at about 5:30 (doesn't sound like much, but there will be something in the air for every second of that). Strangely, I've seen them let aircraft take off when there are other planes displaying overhead (seems a bit dodgy, but they wouldn't do it if they thought it carried any risk).

It's worth staying to the end of the show as they get as many ships up in the air as they can and have they fly over in groups (it's called a "Balbo").

Hope you enjoy it thoroughly, mate. I would really love to see the Super Connie flying, but RIAT has won out on this occasion.

Cheers.

Chris.

I'll be there on Saturday, meeting up with another BMer.

Not been for years but my advice is to get there early. Get a good car parking slot, claim a spot on the crowd line and take it in turns to visit as much as you can. Duxford being just down the road for me I get to see the museum a fair bit so will be concentration of the flying display.

Thanks for the advice so far, all really useful stuff. The one constant seems to be the need to get there early. So should I aim to be there for 8 or are we talking earlier than that? I estimate the drive from here under normal conditions would be just under 2 hrs.

Also try and approach from the M11. They tend to let cars in earlier to avoid traffic jams developing down the slip way and onto the M11.

Anybody going on Sunday? My lovely wife is taking me as a 6th anniversary prezzie!

Christian the Married

Thanks for the advice so far, all really useful stuff. The one constant seems to be the need to get there early. So should I aim to be there for 8 or are we talking earlier than that? I estimate the drive from here under normal conditions would be just under 2 hrs.

I am a Friend of Duxford and attend most shows (I'm going to RIAT this year, though) and would suggest that if you are approaching from the M11, ignore the North Side car park which is on the right hand side (past the Museum main entrance) and involves paying on foot and then crossing the main road via the Bailey Bridge. If you proceed another 1/2 to 3/4 mile (past a Citroen garage) you will see another car park on the left hand side which takes you onto the airfield. If you get there around 08:30, you should be able to park between the American Air Museum and the Land Warfare Hall without queueing.

Enjoy!

Chaps,

First of all, with my apologies to our Moderators, if I have put this in the wrong area, please would you kindly move it to where it should be? Thank you.

Now, who’s going to Flying Legends? I’ll be there on the Saturday, at around 08:30, traffic and road works permitting. It’s 4 hours each way for me, so it’ll be a pre dawn start I think…

What I’d like to know is what model traders might be there? Can anyone tell us please?

Like most, I’ve got a finite amount of slowly smouldering cash in my pocket and a rough n ready shopping list that includes an element of ‘either / or’ alternatives, so it would be useful to trawl the various traders beforehand to see who has what, in anticipation of a lightning dash around the marquees and gazeebos prior to claiming a pitch ready for the flying…

Could those of you who are seasoned veterans of airshows please advise if it’s possible to pre order kits beforehand with attending traders for collection ‘on the day’ ?

Thanks everyone,

Tim

From going there a good few times, I would recommend the following to anyone attending Flying Legends. If you can afford it, get there by lunchtime Friday and have a look round all the museum exhibits while it's less crowded and while there isn't the flight line to look at or the air show itself! We found there isn't enough time to look round all the normal museum parts, flightline, traders etc and find a good spot to watch the air show before the flying starts. We do the museum Friday, stay overnight nearby and get to Duxford by 8 on Saturday.

On the air show day, get there as early as you can - by 8 is good. Approach from the Royston end and park in between the Land Warfare Hall and the US Air Museum. If you don't you might be in a field on the other side of the road and it can be a bit of a trek if you have lots of gear with you! If you park where I suggest, it's easy to leave chairs, food, drinks etc in the car and come back for them, likewise if you buy something, you can stash it in the car without dragging stuff around.

We usually have a wander on the flight line when it opens and then find a spot to sit down, Because we've parked on site, it's easy enough to car back and forward to the car prior to the flying and when we pack up, we're close to the car (and toilets!).

thanks

Mike

I live about half an hour away from duxford. I usually get the duxford airshow shuttle bus from the Park and Ride at trumpington (10 -15 mins from Duxford) and have never had a problem getting in (2010 was a bit close due to the 16 spits) and I usually get to the park and ride between 10-10:30. I am going on Sunday hopefully.

Been twice; going again this year :D

My top tips are as follow;

• Go on both days - one day to look around the hangars, the other to watch the show,
  • Get in early - there can be quite big queues,
  • Book in advance - ditto above,
  • Go on the flight line - great chance to get up close the aircraft
  • Sit either, on the grass away from the large tents, or, under the wings of one of the airliners. This means you aren't squished up at the front and have some room and shade.

Ben

I will be there Saturday - taking my disabled father so no parking issues. We live fairly close, so are there often. We don't bother with the museum, but if you have not been for a while there is always something worth seeing. The best thing about Duxford is it is never precisely the same - there is usually something going on.

Others have said the main things. However, down by Airspace (where the disabled park) there are usually fewer people and you can still get good photos of the displays if you stand back from the crowd (rather than get squashed up by the Land Warfare mound). The main problem is you do not get such good shots of them taking off/landing.

The flight line walk is well worth it IMHO, as you can spend time getting fairly close and getting some good static shots. If you start early enough you can take your time. If you are a Friend of The Fighter Collection you get the flight line walk free.

For Friends of Duxford there is a marquee with refreshments and a viewing area and Friends can take one person in I believe. Find a Friend without a 'friend' and tag along :)

There are usually several retailers of second hand and new kits and bits and bobs. I usually wander around the stalls between the flight line walk and the display starting.

If the weather is hot there is not much shade so take protection (cream, hat, etc.).

Should be a good show.

As there seem to be a few of us going, perhaps we may bump into each other.