Short cut to a dead end! Canberra U.10

After much dithering I've made my mind up as to what I'm building next, and it’s WD929 the very first production Canberra, this aircraft was named “Canberra” by the Australian Prim Minister The Hon, R.G.Menzies on January 19th 1951 at RAF Biggin Hill. Why the cryptic title? In the good tradition of the MoD’s total disregard for history WD929 was sent off to Shorts in Belfast for conversion to U.10 pilotless target drone. The work was completed and WD929 flew out to WRE Woomera Southern Australia, where she was destroyed on the 15th October 1959.

Anyway, on with the Kit. I’ll be using the 1/72 High Planes B.2 kit. This is the first of the British Canberra’s I've built from this manufacturer, the only other on I’ve built was the RB.57D. The B.2 is very much the same in it’s “quality”, that is to say it is very much a limited run product, but like the B.57 it dose have some nice detail which is quite restrained and in a lot of ways much better than the Airfix kit, like the Airfix kit the detail is a compromise between the different Mk’s that can be built from the basic mould. In this case it is more like an RAAF Mk.20 than an RAF B.2 but there is nothing that can’t be sorted out with a bit of filler and a scriber. There are also B(I)8 details depicted on the fuselage that will need filling.

The plastic parts have a lot of flash as do some of the resin bits, but nothing too bad. The resin is quite good there is only one seat but that is looks like a good Canberra seat. I’ll go in to more detail with the other parts as the build progresses. The transparencies are vac-form.

SAM_1187_zps754bc173.jpg

SAM_1186_zps8d44c0aa.jpg

and how she should look when finished.

WH860_zps66c5e4ea.jpg

John

• Like 3

So hows this one compared to the Airfix effort ?

It's hared to compare Rob, the over all detail is in a lot of ways better than the new Airfix kits, the overall shape is very good, much better than the old Airfix B(I)6 but it's a tough build! Like the RB.57D http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8436639-operation-pigs-ear-or-how-to-build-the-high-planes-rb-57d I did it's very much a limited run kit with all the fun that entails! :)

John

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
After a short hiatus in production I’m back to it! Time to start some re-scribing by way of a change, HP have had to compromise with the detailing on the Canberra to facilitate as many marks as they can from the one mould, a very sensible approach, but this means that the modeller needs to be aware of the differences between the Mk’s, not and easy task with the Canberra! The wings have been produced to represent the wet wing as used on the GAF Mk.20 again being an Australian company a good choice, but like the Airfix wing not so good if you want to make a bog standard B.2.

The first photo shows the wing as it comes with the two tank filler caps the underside should be a mirror of the top but with out the filler caps as you can see they are not quite the same.

SAM_1190_zps527640e3.jpg

The second photo shows the detail applicable to the B.2 wing. The keen eyed amongst you may have spotted a small amount a flash that will also need to be addressed!

SAM_1191_zps36f2e5ea.jpg

John

• Like 3

Looking good John. Odd choice of plastic colour light blue. find certain colours hard to work with and see what you are doing and light blue is one of them along with white,

I bet that makes this Kit harder still.

• Like 1

Looking good John. Odd choice of plastic colour light blue. find certain colours hard to work with and see what you are doing and light blue is one of them along with white,

I bet that makes this Kit harder still.

You're right Rob the colour dose make it harder to see what's going on, just what you need in a kit like this :)

John

• Like 1

You talk about destroyed Canberra's, I was at Wyton when the ex-100 Sqn jets were being taken apart, watching a big crane just lifting them up and dropping them until they came apart was awful.

Sorry off thread.

You talk about destroyed Canberra's, I was at Wyton when the ex-100 Sqn jets were being taken apart, watching a big crane just lifting them up and dropping them until they came apart was awful.

Sorry off thread.

And I was feeling happy today, thanks mate! :(

John :)

Sorry off thread.

Your comment does prove one thing though. That love does find its way everywhere even onto metal aircraft. As reading your comments and imagining the drop made my guts wrench.

If I ever were to see someone scrapping something like a Canberra or Vulcan I would not be able to stop myself yelling abuse in their direction despite knowing its their job I find its something I could not do.

• Like 1

Honestly mate, bloody awful few days watching that...

But it is weird how a lump of metal can bring forward affection

Edited by PLC1966
  • Like 2

Honestly mate, bloody awful few days watching that...

But it is weird how a lump of metal can bring forward affection

Indeed it is. I believe everything has soul, For if you break everything down be it human beings, wood, metal, plastic, animals, grass bricks, space dust, whatever the one thing they all have within them is energy and that is universal, It also technically means that everything is one and the same thing and that everything is connected though time past present and future, There for we are all that Canberra as much as Johns current plastic Canberra is the same as we here talking, Technically we are all one and the chemical bonds that hold structure be it chemical bonds or DNA give an illusion or temporary perception of individuality and separation. I suppose technically it also prove that there is a physical world and energetic world that are linked but not connected in every way.

So yes Lumps of metal matter too. Man that was deep must be good coffee I am on or I have been indulging in the glorious smell of MrSurfacer again ,mmmmm :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Indeed it is. I believe everything has soul, For if you break everything down be it human beings, wood, metal, plastic, animals, grass bricks, space dust, whatever the one thing they all have within them is energy and that is universal, It also technically means that everything is one and the same thing and that everything is connected though time past present and future, There for we are all that Canberra as much as Johns current plastic Canberra is the same as we here talking, Technically we are all one and the chemical bonds that hold structure be it chemical bonds or DNA give an illusion or temporary perception of individuality and separation. I suppose technically it also prove that there is a physical world and energetic world that are linked but not connected in every way.

So yes Lumps of metal matter too. Man that was deep must be good coffee I am on or I have been indulging in the glorious smell of MrSurfacer again ,mmmmm :rolleyes:

Rob you need to put the glue down and go outside for some air .

• Like 3

Rob you need to put the glue down and go outside for some air .

Hahahaha. I think your right looking back at that now.. I have been using a lot of very fumy stuff today and that with the heat is not a good mix.

Looks like something that should be posted on a spiritualist forum ahahaha.

• Like 2

The plastic is very soft and thin in places, it felt like it was engraving well but it’s very hard to see what you've done with the light blue colour, so I won’t know for sure until I give it a going over with the grey primer. Today's job as been to tackle the flash ridden parts. The first was the wings, I have removed the worst of the flash but not all I will do the finer work when the parts are fixed together so I can get every thing lined up and smooth.

As you will see from the get photo there is quite a lot of flash on the undercarriage doors, luckily with the plastic being as soft as it is cleaning up is an easy if not a wee bit tedious job and it was completed in a relatively short time. The way the kit parts are produced means there is a duplicate of the on the U/C doors which will de useful for future Italeri B.57 builds. The secondary “D” doors are very much like the ones in the old Airfix B6 kit, no bad thing as they are the best representation of these doors in any kit so far.

SAM_1192_zpsb6e4dfd8.jpg

The parts after cleaning up, the wings are in the jigs. One problem which is affecting this kit as it did in the RB.57D the engine nacelles aren't round, how much of a problem this will be I cant tell yet but I reckon most of the nice detail will disappear in the proses of putting things right.

SAM_1195_zps520f38f8.jpg

John

• Like 3

Good job John.

White awkward colour plastic I usually take he entire sprue and give it a light mist coat of Humbrol 27 grey direct from can.

It goes on super fine levels and enables you to see exactly what the score is (pun intended) ;)