Iraq 'receives Russian fighter jets' to fight rebels

thomastmcc

Iraq says it has received the first batch of fighter jets it ordered from Russia to help it as it fights an offensive by Sunni rebels.

Iraqi security officials said five second-hand Sukhoi attack aircraft would enter service within a few days, and that more were on their way.

The insurgents control large swathes of the north and west after a string of attacks over the past three weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28077462

and how much did they pay for second hand...

• Like 1

Talk about an urgent operational requirement! I'd assume some IrAF pilots who have flown them in the past will be basically told to get on with it, wouldn't like to be them!

Article says:

"The deals are reportedly worth up to $500m (£293m)."

Almost choked on the Earl Grey. £293m for a bunch of ragged looking Su-25's and whatever is needed to keep them running and fighting for a while. The wing joints alone look to be in a in a poor state... I don't see these fairing too well against some of the up-to-date weapons ISIS, etc. seem to have no trouble obtaining.

I wonder what this will do with regards to the new, soon to be delivered F-16IQ Block 52's Iraq have bought, could they be 'embargoed' pending a 'desirable' outcome?

They're built like tanks,(russian accent)"russian aircraft are strong aircraft, very good at bouncing off anti-aircarft missiles and bullets!"

I'm sure they'll be fine for a short period as it is a bit of an emergency for them, personally I would have thought that they would have paid to lease them rather than outright buy them. I can't imagine they have too many flying hours left, but then in combat conditions I thought they extend flying hours on airframes and engines so who knows. Probably cheaper than trying to get their hands on some A-10's!

Rich

If I remember rightly, doesn't the air arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard use Su-25's?

We know that Iran's sent elements of the IRGC to support the Iraqi government, so it might be reasonable to speculate that they might be doing the support, plus providing pilots?

Mike. :hmmm:

If I remember rightly, doesn't the air arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard use Su-25's?

We know that Iran's sent elements of the IRGC to support the Iraqi government, so it might be reasonable to speculate that they might be doing the support, plus providing pilots?

Mike. :hmmm:

They do/did... Iran didn't buy them though, their 'complement' was the result of Iraqi AF Su-25's flying into Iran during the 1990/1991 Gulf War. Of course, they never gave them back to their long standing adversary... There is some talk that these Su-25's came from Iran but that is highly debatable, the battered camouflage is more similar to the Bulgarian AF Su-25's for starters.

The Iraqi AF have new equipment bought from Russia in the process of delivery, I guess some of the £293m will pay for some guided missiles for their Mi-24/Mi-35 'choppers, removing a bit more of 'our' involvement...

As some US General said dismissively about light attack aircraft (with due respect to the Super Tucano)

"You don't want to attack anyone lightly"

Su-25 don't do 'light'

Trevor

• Like 4

Russia and Belarus must have been rubbing their hands together with this deal, although i imagine anything is better than nothing!

Does this mean the US F16 deal has fallen through or is this merely an interim given the current state of affairs?

Does this mean the US F16 deal has fallen through or is this merely an interim given the current state of affairs?

Probably not. As posted above Iraq does have ex Su-25 pilots, but then again Iran may send 'advisors' to fly and/or waive spanners at them.

F-16's are an order of magnitude more complicated, so even if they got them tomorrow, it would be a long time before they were operational, unless the USA send 'advisors' too and I can't see that happening.

The US may be a tad twitchy about giving high tech kit to a country that may turn rogue again. They delayed delivery of Block 50/52 Vipers to Egypt, though I believe they eventually went ahead.

Iraq needs the kit operational now and former Soviet bloc is the way to go.

Trevor

Probably not. As posted above Iraq does have ex Su-25 pilots, but then again Iran may send 'advisors' to fly and/or waive spanners at them.

Iraq hasn't operated the Su-25 for 10 years and only sporadically for 10 years before that. So if even if any of the original Su-25 cadre have survived both Gulf Wars, Saddam's routine purges and de-Baathification they wouldn't be capable of operating it now. If these things are ever capable of flying I assume it will be with Russian or Iranian crews.

It's still (probably) better than the Sunni insurgents have. Which would you rather face?

'Our' logic doesn't apply to this situation... Unfortunately ISIS and Co. are very well funded and well armed, as if their ideology and propaganda wasn't powerful enough.

The insurgents probably won't be much too bothered about a few Su-25's trying to attack them, whilst they blend into the local population. Besides, they have weapons that are capable of countering decent CAS aircraft, all without the need for an established base that can be identified and attacked. I wouldn't be surprised if these Su-25's were destroyed inside their own base by a 'covert attack'...

• Like 1

'Our' logic doesn't apply to this situation... Unfortunately ISIS and Co. are very well funded and well armed, as if their ideology and propaganda wasn't powerful enough.

The insurgents probably won't be much too bothered about a few Su-25's trying to attack them, whilst they blend into the local population. Besides, they have weapons that are capable of countering decent CAS aircraft, all without the need for an established base that can be identified and attacked. I wouldn't be surprised if these Su-25's were destroyed inside their own base by a 'covert attack'...

All valid points, and I agree with you. My points was, however, that although they may be old, worn-out, decrepit aircraft, they still throw rounds, and if they're airbourne, they're dangerous. Not dangerous in the way an up-to-date, well-maintained A-10C is dangerous, but still scary enough.

None of it will help, of course...

• Like 1

All valid points, and I agree with you. My points was, however, that although they may be old, worn-out, decrepit aircraft, they still throw rounds, and if they're airbourne, they're dangerous. Not dangerous in the way an up-to-date, well-maintained A-10C is dangerous, but still scary enough.

None of it will help, of course...

Very true, like wiley old vultures on the prowl...

I guess these rather old and weary aircraft will have some effect, fighting on the Iraqi governments terms outside Baghdad, rather than in urban complexes on ISIS's terms. Can't help but think the current Mi-24/35's with Ka-50/52's coming later as the better CAS/COIN platforms, they're pretty powerful flying tanks too... As ever though, it's the forces on foot, wheels and tracks that will be the decisive factor and they don't seem to be doing too well where it counts...

On a tangent, the Su-25 looks quite similar to the hideous YA-9... Makes the A-10 look pretty... :shutup:.

• Like 1