P2V-7 Neptune Blue, Blue and Blue; Finished

Or, If I have dodgy decals....

Dip briefly into the water.

Leave on desk to soak.

Try to move gently on the paper.

Use spit on the model.

Use spit on the decal.

This should help to slide it into place.

Of course if they then break up, just...

Well, Spit!

• Like 1

George, having built quite a few Eastern Front models, I've also used a lot of decals made by East European companies (I think Print & Scale are Russian, but I may be wrong). What I've found is that they may have excellent register and be well-printed (they usually are), but they are fragile (Authentic Decals come to mind). What I do to deal with the fragility, and it works for me, is to strengthen them with a couple of coats of a good gloss coat. I use Testors Sealer for Metalizer, as it works for me, but any good clear coat should do the trick. Of course, try this on some of the decals you don't intend to use.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the tip and I will try this.

You need some of this wondrous stuff

msliqdecalfilm.jpg

I do have some of this and I will try this on a few decals also.

Or, If I have dodgy decals....

Dip briefly into the water.

Leave on desk to soak.

Try to move gently on the paper.

Use spit on the model.

Use spit on the decal.

This should help to slide it into place.

Of course if they then break up, just...

Well, Spit!

I am already doing this Pete. Not only spitting, but swearing and almost throwing things.

• Like 1

I've not needed to use the decal film but apparently if you put it on the dry decal on sheet and let it dry when you come to use the decal it won't break up. Ideal for novo kits as their decals break up.

If I were you I would go after market and save yourself the pain .

Ere you go £7.99 !

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72106

• Like 1

An excited little update. While I was entertaining Mr. Nigel Heath by my lack of utter control to curb my plastic addiction (we were looking at my secret stash) I spied the Revell reissue of the Hasegawa kit. Imagine my pleasant surprise as it had a set of very useable decals. Not entirely accurate, but I believe they can be cobbled together to form a suitable scheme. And who says addictions always have to be detrimental!

• Like 1

Hello George, I have been following your trials and tribulations and was sorry to see the problems with those decals. I have that sheet as I think you know, and was looking forward to using it. If you do try some Microscale liquid decal film, please let me know how you get on, I will probably go down that route myself.

Work on my Neptune is progressing slowly, and I have a way to go yet.

Good luck with the new Revell decals.

Update decal war has ended; a truce is made; nothing is perfect. As I mentioned above, when I was graced with a visit by the esteemed Mr. Nigel Heath he wanted to see my stash. I showed him the one in my office, but on the last day of his visit, I showed him the true nature of my plastic addiction and took him to the storage unit. While he was lurking about looking at kits, I found I had another Neptune, one reissued by Revell, with newer useable decals. So, a compromise was made. If you are a purist by nature and insist on all your builds be historically accurate, please stop reading as the rest of this, along with the pictures will only irritate you. I combined decals from the Print Scale sheet with the sheet in the Revell reboxing. Neither sheet had a set for an early post war aircraft, Navy Blue with a top turrent. I figured if I can’t be historically accurate, why not make it interesting looking. Now, to anyone who is not a Neptune expert, they will never be able to tell this is not proper markings for a Navy Neptune. I have combined 3 different, maybe 4 come to think of it, schemes to get the one for this kit. Anyway, here are the results.

decals1.jpg

decals2.jpg

decals3.jpg

decals4.jpg

Okay, if you have been able to make it this far without getting too irritated about my mongrel scheme, on to the next step, get some legs on this puppy. I inserted the nose and main wheel landing gear. Of course, through the painting process and getting to this point I broke off the center struts for the main landing gear as you can see in the photo below.

fixwheels1.jpg

The next day when I put the kit on its wheels, this happened.

fixwheels2.jpg

Obviously, the bracing strut for the main landing gear is not just for show. Finding a suitable diameter of brass rod, I cut a piece to fit for either side and installed it.

fixwheels3.jpg

And look Maw, no hands! It sits correctly without falling and the nose is even on the ground.

fixwheels4.jpg

So since the front nose wheel is sitting on the ground, I can glue back the bomb bay section I cut out earlier in the build when I forgot to add weight to the front end.

bombbay1.jpg

Next up the wheel bay covers are put in place.

wheelcovers1.jpg

The next step is to work on the propellers and then attach the various little photo etch nubbins and doo dads and this will be a finished kit. I have begun work on the propellers and hubs

paintedpropellerparts.jpg

If you have made it this far, again, I apologize to the purists out there as the scheme just fictional with no basis in reality other than it kinda looks like a scheme a Navy Neptune might have just after WWII. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 4

Rob,

Don't worry about it. Your heart was in the right place as you went out of your way to find some aftermarket decals for me. I appreciate that.

Cool , I am sorry about that I do read alot on here but I'm not a good reader and when busy I scan through.

Having seen the decals perform so bad I assumed they must be kit ones as I've never had trouble with and AM set so I'm surprised to see this happen to you.

I tried.

I really fancy a crack at a Neptune myself I love the look of the thing and the name is cool.

I wonder if the Raf AM decal sheet is still available ,

Cheers Rob ;)

Small update; propellers. The propeller section took longer than I thought as I spent the better part of a day painting and assembling them. I really like one piece propellers. I have never been a fan of the individual blades to be fastened to the hub. It leaves all sorts of chances for misalignment. Each propeller blade had to be painted with 4 colors and some striping. Masking tape became my friend. So for a whole day’s effort, here is the tiny update. Propellers.

propellerdone1.jpg

propellerdone2.jpg

propellerdone3.jpg

And, after looking at the photos, I still need to fiddle with the port propeller to fix the alignment; again. Sheesh. Next up, I have to decide how much and how exactly to weather this plane. As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 5

I stand corrected Pete, thanks. I think you will be amused at the Urban Dictionary definition of "turrent":

A common misspelling of the word "turret," usually made by people with a fourth-grade education.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Final update. I have the plane all weathered as much as I want to go; a veteran, but not all used up. Next step is to fix the turret and then glue all the little fiddly parts that are left.

bits1.jpg

bits2.jpg

bits3.jpg

I wasn’t real happy with the turret and since I broke off one of the barrels, I thought this was a sign I should at least try some improvement. Some metal tubing (1/16”) was called into play. Two pieces were cut to the same length.

turret1.jpg

Then I broke off the remaining barrel on the kit supplied item

turret2.jpg

I didn’t bother with the injection marks as this is the underside and will not be seen. Holes were drilled into the kit part so pieces of wire could be inserted. I will glue the tubing to these wires and this will allow me to have a tiny bit of adjustment to get the barrels aligned as I figured my unsteady hands could not drill out two holes parallel to each other and to the exact same depth.

turret3.jpg

After the superglue had set on the wires, I inserted each tube section and when once aligned superglue was added.

turret4.jpg

Not a whole lot done, but I think it will improve the appearance. Now all I have to do is glue all of the various antennae, etc. and this puppy will be finished. And here are the pictures.

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

I will post a RFI tomorrow when there is better light. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 4

Nice job!

I really like the weathering on this one - I think this could be your best weathering so far. Very impressive.

I also like the fact that you did a little scratch building - I think you underestimate your talents in this area

• Like 1

Nice work George. Good to see it finished.

We will have to think of a way to try and get all the finished Neptune's on the same RFI.

Hopefully you have inspired some of us to get cracking with our builds.

Now you have finished, don't forget to stop by and check out the other Neptune's as they come together.

All the best.

• Like 1