T3 CAMPERVAN

Revell 1:25 Scale Volkswagen T3 Camper

first model I have made in about 35 years finally made a start & spending a small fortune on tools, paint & brushes after being given the kit at xmas
I am trying to replicate our own campervan, although is 34 years old is very original so other than paint there are no other modifications I have different wheels to the models but i'm not going to worry about that

here is my progress after a couple of weeks building, only done the underside & the engine & will make a start on the interior shortly

14402984552_83f7f37e1e_z.jpg14400941601_86dc99277c_z.jpg14424485593_8a0174bfc2_z.jpg

here his is in a sunnier location, the Isle of Wight last weekend,

just got to find the right paint for the bodywork, I have a tin of touch up paint that I tried to use, I tested it on a wheel & the plastic didn't like it and melted it for some reason, unfortunately I am not in a position to airbrush it brushes only for me so i'm looking at a matt cream acrylic brush finish them finishing it off with humbrol gloss ant tips would be most welcome

14510085071_6b358e8e91.jpg

• Like 1

Good progress so far, I love a T3 and you have a very nice spec club joker I see. Would love one of these (I miss my bus), although would also love the twin square light type a last Limited edition would be nice.

Keep up the good work and welcome back to modelling.

All the best
Chris

Go down Halfords with the VW paint code and they will make you a spray can up if its not in the stock range

is car paint ok, I tried some of the touch up paint I have with a brush and it didn't like it, (i'm sure it is mixed with a cellulose lacquer), it appeared to melt the plastic, I was inpatient & tried it without a primer perhaps that's why?

I used halfords VW orange to paint my VW's. I also have a revell T3 kit that I started to build several months ago, I'm just building mine as an "white van man" will leave the camper interior for another kit conversion.

imagejpg6_zps9ee374ad.jpg

Edited by ste1

• 5 weeks later...

slowly getting there, I've sort of finished the inside (pics to follow) so making a start on the outside, I have my car paint & primer from Halfords but need some advice on finishing the pop up canvas, whats the best method to finish this so it looks like canvas material, done a quick search but cannot find anything, any advice guys

Try a practice at this first, Not difficult though.

Prime your plastic. Take your chosen top coat

and brush on about an inch square fairly roughly.

Now take a piece of foam (The squishy stuff as

used to do the washing up, But denser if possible)

Gently Dab (Stipple) the fresh paint a couple of times

before it has a chance to start drying.

This will give it a surface texture.

Repeat until your chosen plastic is covered.

I just did this to a Speederbike seat & got a decent result.

Or, Use white glue to stick tissue to the plastic.

Again, when it's dry you have texture and can then paint it.

Good luck.

14828362093_f2a290b9d0.jpg

14621815569_2433a041b0.jpg

14621829159_bcf7019a6b.jpg

well its slowly getting there, no where near as good as the majority on here I just look at that Rolls Royce thread and think why bother lol... but for a first timer i'm pleased, here's a photo of the real interior

14621882428_2eb60da161.jpg

quite pleased with the Wear on the seats, I tried to get the brown trim around the doors looks ok on the rear door but made such a mess on the others had to start over again so left it, can't believe how many faults the camera pick up on, i don't notice them until I look at the pics!!

enjoy

Edited by smartiepants
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

getting quite frustrated with this little project now, I got the nearest colour i could find at Halfords, it is a Ford Ivory colour, not a perfect match but near enough as they couldn't find a code for my van & with it having 34 years of patina the right coded paint wouldn't of matched anyway

all primered & sprayed as you can see

14809002834_7f263aeaa9.jpg

having trouble with the window rubbers, i found black was to dark, sounds stupid but it didn't look right so I am trying to do them with a Humbrol dark grey enamel wash and was also having a go at the panel lines with the wash but everytime I go to clean the access wash off with Humbrol thinners my Halfords paint becomes soft & starts to take on some of the dark grey colour,been messing around with it for several weekends now and everytime I am having to get the car paint out to spray it again & im in danger of losing my panel lines, i tried a magic marker for the rubbers but again looked to dark

is it me being inpatient or am i doing anything wrong, do I need a coat of Humbrol gloss over the top of the ivory before attempting the pin wash, could it be me not leaving the wash to dry enough before cleaning it off with a cotton bud, it looks fine with just the ivory but as soon as I start detailing it all goes pear shaped

Use the magic marker to get the edges right.

Then overpaint with the grey almost to the edge.

Don't thin it down too much. Maybe 25%.

That should do it.

The alternative is, Lots of masking.

Spray the Halfords Ivory.

This will seal the gaps in the masking.

Paint the grey. Peel off the masking tape.

Either be amazed or curse me and the model!

Use the magic marker to get the edges right.

Then overpaint with the grey almost to the edge.

Don't thin it down too much. Maybe 25%.

That should do it.

The alternative is, Lots of masking.

Spray the Halfords Ivory.

This will seal the gaps in the masking.

Paint the grey. Peel off the masking tape.

Either be amazed or curse me and the model!

thank you, so you're saying mask around the windows, but instead of just painting the masked off areas black, spray with the ivory first then paint over what I have sprayed with the black (when its dry obviously), I think that's how I read your advice

I'm still on my first can of spray & at £8 a pop do not wish to buy more, I feel "get an airbrush" comment heading my way :winkgrin:

at the moment i am cursing the model as soon as I muck it up I try and put it right but end up having to respray the ivory & then I can't touch it for a couple of days or more so making no progress at all, if not going backwards, i have promised myself not to start another model before this has been finished but at this rate who knows LOL

The first way might be easier & quicker.

But, If you want to spray, yes, That is how to do it.

Use Tamiya tape or an equivalent.

Buff down well. Use a new scalpel blade to cut any

odd bits (like rounded corners).

Make sure you've masked ALL the bits you don't want to paint,

and give it a light spray.

This SHOULD seal the edges of the tape. Allow to dry (48 hrs)

Your grey now shouldn't bleed under the tape. (Only thin 25%)

Leave to dry until you are itching to unmask it!

remove the tape carefully. Usually I peel it back over itself,

Slowly does it.

good luck.

Will do, what about the idea of a top gloss coat over my Halfords paint to help with the pinwashing/weathering as that seems to be where its mainly going wrong for me, the window seals issue is me being impatient but will mask that now