United States Marine Corps M4A3 on Iwo Jima

I am first and foremost a former US Marine Infantryman, but that doesn't prevent me from loving all things forest green. What these crews had to do to their tanks was definately improvising, adapting and overcoming what they knew they would face as they marched ever closer to the Japanese homeland.

Heavy oak planks bolted 2 inches from the hull sides with the gap filled with concrete. Wire mesh hatch covers, spare track links and sandbags galore. These tanks looked for all the world like circus wagons come to town.

I started with the ancient Tamiya M4A3 as any innacurracies will be well and truly covered by the build. I used some .030 sheet for the wood planks, I scribed the grain pattern into it by using a razor saw blade. I scratchbuilt the wading trunk adapter from .015 sheet eyeballing the basic shape.

DSCF5089_zpsd2f078ef.jpg

DSCF5090_zpsb8bc7847.jpg

DSCF5091_zps76f7f73d.jpg

DSCF5092_zps502cafce.jpg

DSCF5093_zps7413af5b.jpg

Some Bronco track spares made for some great turret armor.

001_zpsae96174d.jpg

Milliput makes sandbags easy.

002_zps6e92a4ff.jpg

003_zpsffa16b00.jpg

005_zpsfec7f4a9.jpg

006_zps4a16ed2c.jpg

It took all day but I was able to scratchbuild the rearmost wading trunk.

The lower section:

001_zps6d2d52fd.jpg

002_zpsfc6014f1.jpg

The mid section: (this was left on the tank to protect the radiators from shell fragments)

.004_zpse1efbddb.jpg

009_zps800d56b5.jpg

G

• Like 6

Hi G,

What can one say? It's great!

The sandbags are really impressive.

Kind regards and looking forward to more,

Adam

That is great. I am planning to build one myself, so this will provide a lot of inspiration. The sandbags are spot on. I would love to know how did you make them. Is it just sculpturing?

I'll be watching this one for sure. There are wayyy too many models of European theatre tanks and not enough of these IMHO, especially considering the amount of different modifications and additions they made to their tanks.

Odd.

Thank you gentlemen, Mark, Steve your comments are much appreciated. Steve if your learning from me I'm thrilled as I don't know what the ferk I'm doing..........

Oddball I'm with you on that, how can you not like a Sherman with camo and more mods than any ETO "funny"?

Hamden, here's a bit more then. cool.png

Primered the trunk and fixed some rough spots.

001_zps7f1c692e.jpg

002_zpsd924995f.jpg

003_zpsd81121cb.jpg

004_zps6263bde7.jpg

005_zps68c67586.jpg

First primer coat.

007_zps15fae8ad.jpg

008_zpse5abc934.jpg

009_zpsc7653b78.jpg

010_zpseb9fd654.jpg

G

• Like 5

Thank you all!

Three tank battalions fought on Iwo Jima.

The 3rd Battalion used M4A2 "early" small hatch tanks with little or no add ons besides wading trunks. They did have non standard applique steel plates welded on the hulls.

The 4th Battalion had the full monty, wire cages on the hatches, heavy oak planks backed by concrete and in some platoons, the most vivid camo ever seen on a Sherman.

The 5th Battalion had nails welded to the hatches in most platoons.They had oak planks bolted to the sides but reportedly ran out of nails and lumber before all the platoons were taken care of. That's why you will see Shermans with a mix of all the above features.

My build most closely replicates a 4th Battalion tank. I have some fine Eschelon decals for the markings.

Remember, their appearance changed almost daily due to new threats. The tanks themselves lagered on the landing beach and sortied out from there to handle issues as needed. Sometimes the entire day's mission was travelling 100 yards, flaming or shooting at an emplacement, then heading back. No external stowage, machine gun or tools. Nothing a Japanese infantryman could take advantage of. Each tanks always had a wingman that could and frequently did, shoot marauding Japanese troops off the companion tank. Imagine leaving your gear outside and it becomes ventilated by friendly fire..........

It wasn't until Okinawa that the Jarhead tankers got a taste of what their ETO cousins encountered. Long marches to new positions every night and stowing everything aboard.

G

Now that I have a few days off it's time for paint. I made the decision to spray the basecoat of Olive Drab, then brush paint the camo pattern. The real tanks were painted that way plus this model has way to many fragile parts. I was afraid of masking over them.

DSCF5130_zpsb8b88406.jpg

DSCF5131_zps608d375e.jpg

DSCF5132_zps00de5b29.jpg

That's Tamiya OD lightened a bit with Tamiya "Desert Yellow" It'll have a faded appearence when weathered. I'm going to use Vallejo for the brush painting.

G

• Like 2

Here's some more paint. This is where I will leave this for the evening.

DSCF5133_zps31011399.jpg

DSCF5134_zps111d67b8.jpg

DSCF5135_zps28a00865.jpg

DSCF5136_zps08c054c7.jpg

DSCF5137_zpsde8cbd3a.jpg

For the camouflage pattern I used Vallejo "Yellow Tan", "Mahogany Brown" and "Black Gray" . The sandbags are basecoated in Vallejo "Dark Sand".

• Like 3

I did one of these years ago as a Flame Tank firing the flame, I'll have to dig it out of storage and tidy it up

I'll then have to research the Flame part for the right colours

You've got my creative juices flowing

I weathered the piece based on period photos. There is no paint chipping and minimal rust. These M4A3's were collected from the supply point, modified and painted just before the invasion. They were on the island a month or two at most. The last thing I will do is dust the whole thing up. Vehicles on Iwo Jima became covered with a grayish pumice dust in no time.

DSCF5138_zps15331b09.jpg

DSCF5139_zpsa15362ad.jpg

DSCF5140_zps66d69018.jpg

DSCF5141_zps92f6c47a.jpg

DSCF5142_zpsec33e293.jpg

G

• Like 3