airfix quad bike and trailer

Ok so this is going to be my first wip on here. Ive completed a few plane kits and one or two small afv's but hopefully this will end in a diarama. After following alpha deltas thread of the same kit i had to have a go at these little beauty's. I apologise now for being incredibly slow and look forward to hearing what you all think.

I started the first quad with the plan to do a simple oob build but i got a load of evergreen stuff off of the web and have been fascinated by what some of you can do with scratch building and being creative so i couldn't help myself. I warn you now it will not be accurate to the real thing but a practice board for me to learn with, so far i have built the trailer adding some brakes and lighting cables also wire handles and some nuts and bolts. Also ive scratch built a new exhaust. Ok ill sort some pics out ythank you Joe.

Ok heres some pictures of progress so far, before that i have to thank the chap on here who posted the reference photos there amazing and a real help.

WP_20140623_21_20_29_Pro_zpsa15405d3.jpg

Edited by joethornton

Sorry for the naff photos, as can almost be seen ive removed the molded exhaust and made a replacement out of plastic tubing and aluminium tube, thankyou albion alloys and evergreen. Also ive added nuts on the tow hitch, brake cabeling and system even though i believe the actual trailers dont have brakes ha ha.

Added a few wire handles as better than the molded on ones and tried to hollow out the air vents on the side plastic which im not happy with yet but its early days.

More pics, thank you for any interest and any advice would be greately appreciated thank you

joe

WP_20140618_19_32_54_Pro_zps2425869c.jpg

Thank you Parabet, well a wee bit more progress with the trailer. Just spent a good two hours fiddeling with tiny bits of wire to replicate the tie down hooks and handles(not sure why but hay i got into it). Again im rather over scale with some of them but hey ho.

WP_20140624_14_49_15_Pro_zps388266af.jpg

This was my method, i got it from Alex Clarks amazing book about small scale armour modelling, how he does what he does ill never know.

Then two hours later.......WP_20140624_16_17_11_Pro_zps4ba6c426.jpgWP_20140624_16_17_30_Pro_zps77c23a7c.jpg

The handles were made out of 0.4 aluminium tubing and the tie down hooks out of 6amp fuse wire.

Any how im off for a brew and a rest i found that hard work ha ha, i hope to actually get onto the bike one day but i keep getting distracted by tiny little things on the trailer :banghead: till next time folks happy days

joe

ive just noticed about the poor quality of photos, i apologise about that im using a nokia lumia 1020 with the 41 mp camera and no idea how to use it!!! ill try improving as i go

cheers joe

Thank you Alpha Delta thats very kind of you, well the next exciting instalment of this monumentally slow build is not really much, i spent about an hour tonight trying to build the automatic breaking mechanism (yes i have now found out that yes these logic trailers do have brakes :banghead: ) out of plastic strip and aluminium rod. It was all going rather well i was very pleased with it then ping out of my tweezers and that was the last i saw of it. Ho hum i made another but there much larger and out of scale. Any how ill show you what i mean,,,,,WP_20140625_23_47_51_Pro_zps2de9281e.jpg

Ill be the first to admit that its not very impressive for an hour and a halfs work and if this was my work rate at work i think my boss would be a wee bit disapointed :thumbsup:

Any how ive also learnt how to zoom in a wee bit with my camera yay, so here you are you lucky devils with some more pics of my build so far,,,,,,

WP_20140625_23_48_11_Pro_zps5f15637f.jpgWP_20140625_23_48_30_Pro_zps6a6ad2d8.jpgWP_20140625_23_48_43_Pro_zps844aae3c.jpgWP_20140625_23_48_57_Pro_zps9ac594cb.jpgWP_20140625_23_49_07_Pro_zpsba7f734d.jpg

Heres one with the wheels stuck on with blu tack just for the craic!WP_20140625_23_51_38_Pro_zpsd274f9bf.jpg

Is it just me or do the wheels sit to far towards the rear? hmm i dunno if i should bother doing anything about it, what do you guys think?

Okies then merry modelers ill wish you all a very good night and happy days

joe

• Like 1

Fantastic detailing considering the scale! With what you have done to the trailer i can't wait to see what you do on the quad itself.

Why thank you Sean very kind words, im absolutely flabergasted when i see what some people can do with 1/72 scale stuff never mind 1/48, as for the quad itself i was looking at reference pictures last night and there is so much possibility and opportunity to play around with it a just hope my skills and creativity can keep up! I don't want anybody to think i dislike this kit, the exact opposite i reckon there a peach and when you see them built oob on here they look stunning, but for some reason this kit has got me sctratching ha ha.

i was also pondering late into the night last night about the diarama, ive never undertaken one before but im thinking maybe a medivac situation, possibly crossing a burn using the supplied bridge? I have no idea if the soldiers doing medivacs have different uniforms or not (to be honest im clueless about the uniforms) so any wisdom out there would be very welcome

happy days joe

Well after a lovely weekend camping in Durness with friends in beautiful sunshine i did a wee bit more to the quad and trailer today, I improved the braking mechanism on the trailer and went about fitting the new exhaust to the actual quad. I fashioned the exhaust out of a piece of 2.4 mm evergreen tube trimmed to the correct length and a length of 1mm albion aloys aluminiom tube, Now the question is i used pliers to form the bends on the pipe, this worked ok however it produced flat spots on the bends if any one has a handy tip for bending the pipe without this happening that would be magic. I thought about using plastic rod inside the aluminium tube while bending or using heat but not sure either will work.

any hoe pics for you allWP_20140629_13_55_36_Pro_zps504424b3.jpgWP_20140629_13_55_23_Pro_zps2fe33767.jpgWP_20140626_21_36_02_Pro_zps69f4666e.jpg

You can see the automatic breaking in this pic it is very over scale but im happy with it just now

happy days

joe

• Like 1

Argh ive been trying to replicate the gear stick on the left hand front fender of the quad using tube and plastic and milliput for the first time to get the ribbed rubber suround, bloomin imposible but heres my effort so far. Its a bit of a mess :banghead:

WP_20140630_16_51_42_Pro_zps2adc5e4c.jpgWP_20140630_16_51_26_Pro_zps0893aa14.jpg

What i did was shape a tiny bit of plastic scrap into the shape of the gear nob and glue it onto a length of aluminium tube then removed the plastic lump molded onto the fender, drill a 0.6 mm hole and insert the rod, All going well then i decided that it was time to try milliput for the first time, oops i thought it would be a case of just slapping it around the rod and using a tamiya paint stirer and my sclapul shape it to look like the rubber surround hmm. More practice needed

thank you all

happy days joe

how do chaps, well ive spent a very enjoyable couple of hours playing around with the quad, my girlfriend thinks im mental but ive done a suspension bit (only one yet!!!!) for the front of the quad and im actually quite pleased and proud of it ha ha. heres the components.......WP_20140703_20_22_15_Pro_zpsffbc9f5c.jpg

I started by cutting two lengths of aluminium tubing one 1mm diameter and one 0.8 mm diameter not worrying about length just yet, i test fitted to make sure the smaller easily slid inside the larger then set about making the spring. Im really sorry but i remember reading about this technique from somebody on the forum but i cant remember who and ive looked and found nothing. Any way i used a 1.4mm micro drill bit as a former and experimented with different wires to see what was best. Heres a tip get hold of old guitar strings they are smashing for lots of things, however not this ha ha. i ended up using 5 amp fuse wire as it held its shape and had spring yet was easy to work with. So i twisted the wire around the drill bit producing a length of spring. Next i made the plastic stops for the spring by drilling holes the same size as the two different sized tubes and used the holes as a guide to sand them into washers, not perfect but at this scale works a treat ( i dont yet own a punch set) i then slid the stoppers onto there respective tubes and glued into position using super glu. Also i use a wee bit of guitar string for applying the glu as you will see in a later picture. Where was i.... ah yes then using the molded spring as a guide i trimmed my spring to length, slightly longer than needed and slid it over the thinner tube up to the stopper. Then the fatter tube onto the thinner tube and boom one shock absorbing spring ^_^WP_20140703_20_43_03_Pro_zps4cfecf7c.jpg

As you can see from the picture the spring is slightly too big for the stoppers so im going to use a 1.2 drill bit for forming the other three springs.

Well now was time to fit the suspension to the thingy m jig, so i drilled a hole at the bottom fixing point at 0.8mm diameter and used my trumpy razor saw to cut a notch at the top like so....WP_20140703_20_43_14_Pro_zps59661d83.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures then it was a simple case of push into the bottom hole and crimp the top end of the tube to slot into the slit at the top. Glu hold my breath and ta da done,,,,, only three more to go :o .

WP_20140703_20_43_21_Pro_zpsd628df69.jpg

better picture

WP_20140703_20_50_00_Pro_zps948c5326.jpgWP_20140703_20_50_18_Pro_zpsc10fd540.jpg

you can just make out my guitar string glu applicator at the top of the last picture, i believe its a number 36 from a pack of regular slinky's by ernie ball for the rivet counters :D any how works a treat.

Sorry if ive dragged out the hole suspension bit out but i was kinda chuffed :P

any way a group shot of whats been done,,,WP_20140703_20_56_55_Pro_zpscd8c066b.jpg

im currently pondering how to replace the pully system at the front of the quad but thats a different day, any how drilled out the lights to take a tinfoil disc and krystal clear lens, addedd a gear stick and replaced the small black box (im guessing its an electrical box on the front fenders opened up the air vents on the side plastics and addedd a wee bit of detail to the pully motor :unsure:

WP_20140703_20_57_12_Pro_zpsf2ddd1cf.jpg

drilled out lights,

WP_20140703_20_57_25_Pro_zpsf165d8c2.jpg

not sure what that bit is

WP_20140703_20_57_46_Pro_zps3b5b04e7.jpg

Cant really make it out but i believe its the motor shaft for the electric winch :P

WP_20140703_20_58_00_Pro_zps3d8ea896.jpg

Im calling the gear stick done but the electrical box needs work

WP_20140630_18_31_15_Pro_zpsd47e59cd.jpg

And this is my wee pal one eyed Oscar who has been consistently nocking things every where and generally being a kitten. Although he is dour today as i had him at the vets for his final course of vaccines.

Any way i hope anybody looking is finding my ramblings interesting next i have to try having one of the front wheels pushed up as if its climbing over a rock for the diarama if i ever get there. Good night to you all and happy days

joe

Speaking to an army pal of mine, he informed me that in practice the quads are rarely if ever used for medivac situations as there to unstable, ho hum better think of a different situation to place my quad, any suggestions would be fantastic cheers

happy days

joe

Lovely small scale work there - it all looks very professional.

For the Milliput, you can smooth it and clean it with water. Water also stops your tools sticking (and spit works even better) which helps avoiding tearing the surface.

I find that whatever I do it tends to end up messy, but at least you can sand it afterwards :D

Will

Yup Sean im thinking along those lines as well but seem to remember seeing a picture somewhere of two soldiers using a quad for cover, oo decisions. Excellent advice Will ill definitely try that. Think i need more practice and patience lol. Thank you all for the kind comments hope to get a bit more done this weekend

happy days

joe

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, i started a new job on Monday and its my better half's birthday this weekend so busy busy. I started on building replacement handlebars with brake cables and what not, so very very small so ill post some pictures when ive some progress happy days

joe