Airfix new tool 1/72 Mk.1B Typhoon, Dragon's 1/72 Zimmeritted Panther Ausf G and Tiger I Diorama - Finished

If it's okay with the mods I'd like to start another project alongside my Jerry Billing's Spitfire build?

Just recently I seem to be mostly making Spitfires but since joining this GB I have been very impressed by the Typhoons and many of the armour kits.

I decided I'd like to try the Airfix new tool 1/72 Mk.1B Typhoon and managed to get one from the toy shop, that's local to where I work, for £6.99. I have to say, for that money, I was well impressed by the amount of parts and detail you get. Having done a little reading up on the other Typhoon builds on here I realised I was going to have to order some decals - a first for me! They arrived yesterday. As I'm relatively new at this I've always used the decals that come with the kits I've made.

I've also been impressed for a while now with the dioramas people make and, having seen Kallisti's base for his Typhoon I decided I'd give a diorama a go. I decided I'd like to try something with the Typhoon in flight and a German tank of some kind. The flying Typhoon will be a first for me too - I've always made my plane kits wheels down.

Thanks must go to Shermaniac, Procopius and especially Brews for helping me try to decide what tank kit to purchase and build - as I mentioned - I know very little at all about armour - but I'm now learning more. I haven't quite decided yet but, unfortunately, the list of possibles keeps increasing!

Well I have got the Typhoon kit and the decals so here are some photos:

Box and Xtradecals:
14285347270_3bf4ae86b5_c.jpg

Sprues:
14468594861_66560fb858_c.jpg

14285344890_2cb5683dd5_c.jpg

14492103403_bbb2003a10_c.jpg

14492101783_850f114978_c.jpg

14470632942_13e1c43ddb_c.jpg

Kit decals:
14285341140_ab447d3996_c.jpg

Closer view of Xtradecals:
14285339610_58032a6227_c.jpg

Sample of the instruction sheets:
14468588931_8696eb64ac_c.jpg

Some of the details I was impressed with in the kit, especially for £6.99:
14470777624_e081ac466e_c.jpg

14470635182_4e9474f5c6_c.jpg

14492094073_d290c4c8bf_c.jpg

With regards the detail the only thing I'm disappointed with is the fact that, for the most part, it won't be seen on this kit because I'm going to display it in flight! Reason to by another one and build it with all the details on display. I've heard you can get a couple of Eduard PE sets to detail it even further.............

As soon as I make a decision about what tank to make I will post it on here.

I might not get much done on this to start with as I'm making the Eduard Spitfire as well and I'm in the middle of building the cockpit. Once I'm at stages where I'm waiting for things to dry I'll get stuck into this project. Still got some bits to finish on my Mk.XVI Spitfire too!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Regarding dioramas, howabout recreating the scene of the boxart from the forthcomeing Airfix 1/24 :)

71FCNgZCBL_SL1000_.jpg

Errrrr........................... not yet! Got do a bit of practicing first! It may be a while.............

Hi Anthony, sorry your copy wasn't so good. Apart from some small area with flash this one seems in pretty good nick. And thanks.

Hi Wolwe - I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find. I'd like to see what you'd do with it.

Cheers chaps,

Kind regards,

Stix

This should be interesting Stix, it is a lovely little kit looking forward to see your choice of armour or even a soft skin vehicle did you know the Germans had flying trucks? make a great scene!

opel_zps3e289dd5.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Thanks Steve and Gregg.

This should be interesting Stix, it is a lovely little kit looking forward to see your choice of armour or even a soft skin vehicle did you know the Germans had flying trucks? make a great scene!

opel_zps3e289dd5.jpg

What a great picture! I wonder if Kallisti would be able to represent the sand with cotton wool? I'm sure he would and it would probably look good too!

I'm hoping to do mine based somewhere in Europe so trees, hedges, dirt tracks............if all goes to plan! I'm leaning towards a tank for my first armour build.

Gregg - I've made a couple of Airfix's new tool 1/72 Spitfires and they were impressive too. There's even more parts in this and they seem well detailed. It is just a shame I'm going to hide most of them on this one. I am seriously thinking of getting another and the Eduard PE sets to go with it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice choiceand welcome to the GB. I like the Typhoon. I have seen the model with a friend and was quite impressed with it.

I am not a 1/72 modeller, but I am getting tempted more and more.

Cheers,

• Like 1

A stripy Typhoon and a German vehicle you say.....Now this really sounds like my sort of thread! :thumbsup:

Intrigued to see what vehicle you go for (although I may have an inkling already)..... My spares box and decals bank are at your disposal if needed and if you have any difficulties getting the kit you want give me a shout (if it's what I think it is, I have several in my stash). :coolio:

Some of Roden's 1/72 AFV artwork is great.....Check these out:

146-rod708.jpeg

RODEN_72_715_OPEL_MAULTIER.JPG

The Maultier in particular is just surreal! :hypnotised:

• Like 1

A stripy Typhoon and a German vehicle you say.....Now this really sounds like my sort of thread! :thumbsup:

Intrigued to see what vehicle you go for (although I may have an inkling already)..... My spares box and decals bank are at your disposal if needed and if you have any difficulties getting the kit you want give me a shout (if it's what I think it is, I have several in my stash). :coolio:

Some of Roden's 1/72 AFV artwork is great.....Check these out:

The Maultier in particular is just surreal! :hypnotised:

Thank you for your comments Sarge.

I think you probably think correctly - I'm just having to wait to see if I get it at the moment! ....and thank you for your kind offer.

I agree that Roden's artwork is brilliant - and I have no idea what's going on in the Maultier picture - looks exciting though!!

Hmmm sand coloured cotton wool, what an interesting idea ;)

I'll be watching this since I seem be being "blamed" for some of the inspiration :)

Thanks Kallisti. I shall be interested to watch your diorama develop.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Richard,

Nothing wrong (as far as I know) with the kits's decals apart from Airfix saying they're from Squadrons in the Netherlands in December 1944 and February 1945, which are outside this GB's time frame of June 1st 1944 to August 20th 1944.

The Xtradecals have two which are within the GB times.

Hope this helps.

Are you going to build yours for this GB?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Thanks Stix. No. After the 111 and then the failed mustang my thirst for modeling dropped right off and nothing in the stash inspired me. I made a start on an Eduard La-7 but I just couldn't get interested.

Anyway, yesterday I came onto BM because I was thinking about starting to sell the stash off and while browsing I found someone selling a revell B25J in my scale. So on the spur of the moment I bought it and can feel myself getting really enthusiastic about it. I'm off to the Flying Legends show in July (I actually won the tickets via AMW magazine) and they have a Mitchell there so I'm going to get a load of etch and get some good pictures and hopefully start getting some pleasure from the hobby again.

It's a rebox of the hasegawa kit and after the pleasure of the heinkel I'm hoping it should be a nice build. I'll start a wip and let you know how I get on.

Richard

• Like 2

That sounds like a good project to get the modelling back on track - the Mitchell is a cracking looking aircraft. I always get more interested in modelling after having seen the actual planes in action. Where we live we're quite lucky - we're about a mile or so from where the Victory Show takes place in September - so for two days we get a fair range of aircraft flying over our house including quite a few Spitfires which may be relevant to my usual modelling choices at the moment............... (For this diorama I'm trying to build something different!!!)

I hope you enjoy the Flying Legends show and I look forward to following the progress of your B25.

Kind regards,

Stix

Later today I'll post some pictures here of the kit that arrived!!

Well I had a delivery yesterday and I'm now the proud owner of a tank kit - the first since I was a child! And I am really excited about it.

First I need to thank Shermaniac, Procopius, Brews and Sgt.Squarehead for helping a novice like me make an informed decision as to what tank to get. I was eventually inspired by one of Brews' builds - Dragon's 1/72 Zimmeritted Panther Ausf G and I managed to get one - and I'm very, very pleased with it. I know Brews has displayed photos of the box and sprues but I'm going to as well because I'm really impressed with it! Sorry but there's lots of photos - skip ahead if need be!

Box first - nice cover artwork:

14501136546_89049fa704_c.jpg

Open the lid:

14520848151_88b88b81e4_c.jpg

Seems like quite a lot of parts to me!:

14544360733_03947abb18_c.jpg

14522795924_63a23c7f7f_c.jpg

14524226175_26a464e231_c.jpg

14544358173_fffa76a749_c.jpg

14337630399_0907ec4c83_c.jpg

14337783687_f4b3f3d46e_c.jpg

As Brews mentioned - nice engine detail:

14524223645_cbf652f599_c.jpg

Lots of wheels!:

14522791024_8302c1bb49_c.jpg

PE, tracks, cable and decals:

14337583400_9821067088_c.jpg

The instructions:

14524219705_5eed6887f6_c.jpg

Like Brews I'm going to do this version - not quite sure how I'm going to do the camo by hairy stick but we'll see:

14522786774_b8b6c8f7a8_c.jpg

The two kits:

14522785714_cd21784904_c.jpg

I've also got some clear Perspex rod to support the Typhoon.

I can't wait to start this project but, as I mentioned before, I need to get to a stage with my Spitfire where I'm waiting for stuff to dry.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

That looks great Stix.

If I may, I have a suggestion about the mottling. As a fellow brush painter I was wondering about mottling myself and then I came across this:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/ar/t2969.htm

Not sure I have the patience for it, but it looks like it might be worth a try if you have.

Good luck.

Richard

Great choice.....It's a really nice kit, probably the best Panther G available right now, although their Steel-Wheeler is decent too.

You don't have to do that scheme.....12.SS Pz 'Hitler Jugend' also had the Ausf G: http://ww2images.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/12-ss-panzer-division-hitlerjugend.html

PS - PM me your address.....I'll sort 'Eric' out for you! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

That looks great Stix.

If I may, I have a suggestion about the mottling. As a fellow brush painter I was wondering about mottling myself and then I came across this:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/ar/t2969.htm

Not sure I have the patience for it, but it looks like it might be worth a try if you have.

Good luck.

Richard

Hi Richard, it does look a good kit.

Thank you for the link - I've now got it bookmarked. I haven't got any pastels but I might get some and give it a try. Like you I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do an entire kit like that but, if I can't find another suitable way I may end up doing so.

http://ww2images.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/12-ss-panzer-division-hitlerjugend.html

Thank you Sarge. I'll give the instructions' camo scheme a try on some scrap - perhaps using the technique Richard suggested above, but if it doesn't work I may try that.

Nice idea - I'm doing the same kit.

Also constructing a Typhoon diorama at JetAgeMuseum.

Hi plasticsurgeon - it is a good kit, isn't it. I'd be interested to see some photos of your diorama at some point if you have any.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Looking forward to following along, i'm currently helping my 8 year old lad construct a diorama using the Typhoon and a Tiger tank. He has built the plane and ive helped him build a base for it, just got to build the tank next.

Anyway, good luck and i'll enjoy following along!

Nick

• Like 1

Looking forward to following along, i'm currently helping my 8 year old lad construct a diorama using the Typhoon and a Tiger tank. He has built the plane and ive helped him build a base for it, just got to build the tank next.

Anyway, good luck and i'll enjoy following along!

Nick

That sounds like a great Father/Son project. I hope you are both enjoying it. You'll have to post some photos on here when it's done.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edit: I was just thinking - I will try and make start on this project next weekend because this thread has now had 25 posts and there's nothing happening!! I'm a slow builder but I'll try and get something underway.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1