Hi folks with the mustang well on the way I wanted to do another entry but get out of my aircraft comfort zone,I picked up the Hanomag

a while ago dirt cheap but popped into my LMS today wanting to get Dragons British infantry Normandy set to do a little scene on a

base,sadly not in stock but he has just started selling Mini art kits and when I saw this I loved the scene,so my thoughts are the half

track shot up and the figures posed with it.I am not a figure modeller so that,s a good start! but I love the late war German armour,s

colour scheme and It will be a good challenge to see how I can re-create the damaged vehicle.I won,t get a start for a week or two

as I wan,t to finish the Mustang and I am also Fighting with an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane,now someone go and spoil it by telling me these

vehicles were not used in Normandy!!!SDC11642_zps781b3747.jpg

• Like 1

I'm reminded of a scene from 'Saving Private Ryan'....But if you are going for that one you'll need some Rangers too! :winkgrin:

I'd expected to find plenty of pictures of 251/1 Ausf C's in Normandy (the D was much more common).....But my references so far show only variants like the 251/16 flamethrower vehicle. I'll keep looking though. :nerd:

• Like 1

After much searching, I've discovered that Panzer Lehr had at least some Ausf Cs:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/571595/thread/1197680761/last-1197680761/Panzer-Lehr-Division+SdKfz+251+markings

Which is good news. :D

Superb find thanks for that,excellent references there,s a lot of great ideas for vehicle damage and colour schemes,on a different note I have never in all

the years of interest in the period seen US servicemen in camouflage uniforms in Europe.You live and learn!

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,with the Mustang nearing completion I thought I would make a start on this project.For a kit stamped 1975 this is still a masterpiece of

moulding. Here,s the main components with the base coat sprayed as I want to detail and weather the interior before attaching the top half of the

vehicle.The link sent by Sgt Squarehead has given me a few good ideas for vehicle damage I would have loved to show the stowage locker doors

opened as in the first picture but they are moulded shut on the kit and I hav,nt even thought how to produce the camouflage yet with my bog

standard airbrush!SDC11680_zps437a9a22.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks,here,s the latest: Hanomag mainly complete in it,s base coat,thanks to sarge,s link I have reproduced the damage to rear door front

mudguards etc and the holes caused by the weapon that finally stopped it in it,s tracks.Once finished I will scatter some equipment around the

interior.I just got a small corner building for the finished scene.SDC11690_zps2c08e649.jpgSDC11687_zps703e31cc.jpgSDC11685_zpsd04f27c6.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

That is a good looking kit and it's progressing well. Can I please ask what colour you've used for your base coat? There seems to be lots of variations of the colour used on German armour.

Kind regards,

Stix

Blam.....But where did the shells wind up? :hmmm:

I'd be inclined to consider taking a substantial chunk out of the armour plate opposite. :nerd:

Vehice damage is very hard to simulate.....I may have some useful pictures from Panzerwrecks, will have a look. :pipe:

Hi Steve,

That is a good looking kit and it's progressing well. Can I please ask what colour you've used for your base coat? There seems to be lots of variations of the colour used on German armour.

Kind regards,

Stix

can-of-worms.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge has said it all Stix! I just mixed desert yellow with a bit of khaki then a touch of pure yellow till I got something looking like color pics profiles etc.

and Sarge I am going to do something at the opposite side of the entry points as I only weathered the floor before joining top and bottom halves.

• Like 1

Thanks to sarge,s correct observation that the shells would have put a few scratches on the interior I had to put my thinking cap on and so out came the

black and decker(other makes are available),I accidentally(ham fistedly) caught the top edge of the vehicle but it might actually worked in my favour,so

not perfect but by the time the painting is done and "charring" added it might look good.next job is to give the upper exit hole a more jagged look and then how to do the camouflage effects.

SDC11697_zpsf15f7242.jpgSDC11700_zps14680230.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Last bit of work for a couple of days,tried to give a charred effect caused by whatever hit it! Now how do I do that camouflage?SDC11701_zps1500d456.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

NUTS! two attempts at camouflage today first off a plastic sheet with different size holes drilled at random. Result: Hanomag with measles! re-sprayed

and second attempt cardboard with different size and shaped holes punched in.Result: Hanomag with flower power on it,s way to Woodstock!

so tried a sponge cut into slivers on an old kit and if dabbed lightly with just a touch of paint on looks OK,so once I have been to get more base paint

I will try this method.

• Like 1

Another modeller with the right idea, I shall follow this build with interest.

Looks like it's been clobbered with a couple of 155mm AP shells by direct fire - that'll do it!

• Like 1

Hmmm,not overly struck on how it looks but better than hand mottling the camouflage,still a bit of blending in to do and once decalled it should be

OK. three attempts to get it here this being the best of three,Thanks for looking in.SDC11707_zpsffee9b4c.jpgSDC11709_zpsf57acfb8.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Greg, here,s the fully weathered vehicle just the tracks( one will be hanging off) to add and a couple of very minor items to drop in the interior

after it,s on the base. Apologies to the purists about the vehicle plates and numbers but they are all I,ve got!SDC11717_zps63935479.jpgSDC11716_zpsc0ff1ae0.jpgSDC11714_zpscfbd8c7a.jpg

• Like 3

Hi folks,here,s the last couple of days progress,not much changed just got the tracks fitted and tools fitted to the vehicle,also the interior bits and

pieces added so she will go in a box while I attempt the figures and decide on a base.Thanks for looking.SDC11733_zps02c9ba9a.jpgSDC11734_zps4d4370d2.jpgSDC11731_zps480acb3e.jpgSDC11732_zps66e8f73d.jpg

• Like 5