New Revell 1/32 Spitfire

grayh

my apologies Ailerons...was just putting a differnt view on things, just seems a bit strange critisising a kit when the modellers intentions were unknown,but thats people perogative!:-)

I didn't criticise the Revell kit. I observed that the modeller had glued the ailerons in an impossible configuration in an otherwise beautifully executed model. I don't think the modeller intended to make such an elementary mistake.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I'm a Spitfire fan, especially in large scale. Overall dimensions and shapes are OK ? It is a early Merlin powered Spit from BoB period and not caricature as Trumpy Mk. Vb ? "Price is nice" and i'm a little lazy model builder and 1/32 with 115 pieces is for me ideal kit...

You know what

I'm going to buy one, have fun building whilst whistling the BoB theme and then it shall sully

forth to thwart any nazi swine that dare foul the skies of Ballina and then I shall most likely take it to the pub

and drink my own body weight in Spitfire ale!

You know what

I'm going to buy one, have fun building whilst whistling the BoB theme and then it shall sully

forth to thwart any nazi swine that dare foul the skies of Ballina and then I shall most likely take it to the pub

and drink my own body weight in Spitfire ale!

That is a plan with absolutely no flaws. Except possibly a headache the next day...

No, the flaps are definitely down.

Argh! Yes, the flaps are down, which is something very seldom seen on real Spitfires. But the point was that the ailerons are also both "drooping", which you would not see EVER on a real Spitfire.

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Just a thought- having bought the kit and being a bit miffed about the mk v oil cooler, and slightly unconvinced by the prop boss, I have been casting about for an aftermarket replacement. As it happens, I saw reference to a set by model design construction that has all this plus a radiator and exhausts. Am sure lots of people are aware of this source, but for those, like me, who weren't....

Can't wait to get stuck in to this... or might save it fir the BoB group build next year!

best regards, Paul

Barracuda Studio is bringing stuff out for it and I am sure Aries as well. I am just waiting to see who actually does and who doesn't

Just a thought- having bought the kit and being a bit miffed about the mk v oil cooler, and slightly unconvinced by the prop boss, I have been casting about for an aftermarket replacement. As it happens, I saw reference to a set by model design construction that has all this plus a radiator and exhausts. Am sure lots of people are aware of this source, but for those, like me, who weren't....

Can't wait to get stuck in to this... or might save it fir the BoB group build next year!

best regards, Paul

The twin ganged oil cooler in this kit is correct for a MkII Spitfire

the Battle of Britain memorial flight MkII can be seen with it, here is a pic of an original Mk II on static display with the ganged cooler

136-13_zps82590d58.jpg

SpitfiremkII_zpsf58004c4.jpg

- the cooler is in fact just two of the same oil cooler matrices used in MkIs and early MkIIs with different hose take off [generating different part numbers] so they can be plumbed in line, the fairing was then designed to get out of the airflow boundary flow which makes the cooler look different.

the cooler was a hand me down from the 1938 Speed Spitfire, but was deemed necessary on the Merlin XII fitted to the Mk II Spitfire, many MkIIs were converted MkIs and retained the single element cooler, however to think this cooler is related to the Merlin 45 or the Mk V Spitfire is absolutely not correct.

- there are many many serious problems with this kit though

- the nose is much too narrow above the exhausts, the fuel tank Armour has three planes in it, - it should be a simple curve, the fuselage is far far too wide [about 3mm] around the cockpit, and the wing fuselage fairing does not follow the curve of the fuselage section giving the kit a clumsy feeling where a Spitfire is truly graceful.

I have learnt that Revell subcontracted the CAd design of this kit out to an Italian designer who has no interest in modeling, or aircraft, and that clearly shows to me - the authorship is different from Revell's He111 and Ju88 in 1/32 and that is a great loss I feel.

Edited by KingK_series

Perhaps is it Fly By Wire equipped, which would explain both deflected ailerons ;-) ?

Muahhahahaha ;-) !

Of course it is - what do you think connects the control column to the flying controls - string?

Peter

the cooler was a hand me down from the 1938 Speed Spitfire, but was deemed necessary on the Merlin XII fitted to the Mk II Spitfire, many MkIIs were converted MkIs and retained the single element cooler, however to think this cooler is related to the Merlin 45 or the Mk V Spitfire is absolutely not correct.

It did not originate with the Merlin 45/ Mk.V, but it most definitely IS "related" to it. The Mk.I and II shared the same oil cooler, and aside from testbeds, Mk.IIs were built as such, at Castle Bromwich, even if they did start with some "donated" Supermarine-manufactured components. (Supermarine had borrowed parts from CB, also.)

Improved cooling was, as you say, explored on the HSD (Speed Spitfire), but the new oil cooler was referred to as the "Mk.III type", which is the Mark (Merlin XX) it was designed (planned for production) for. It was soon recognized that the Merlin 45 would require the new cooler, but production was not yet available, so some Mk.Vs (a/b) were built with the existing type. In the summer months of 1941 (starting from April or so) those Mk.Vs were retrofitted with the new oil cooler installation. Supermarine did have a Modification on the books for installing this cooler on Mk.IIs, but that does not mean that it was generally done. To suggest that the kit's oil cooler is "correct" for a Mk.II is really not right, even though SOME examples can be found.

bob

…..the fuselage is far far too wide [about 3mm] around the cockpit,

Mine isn't. I have just taken a pair of callipers to the Revell, Trumpeter and Tamiya kits, there is less than 1mm external difference in width between the 3 of them, the cockpit opening is within .5mm :suicide:

It did not originate with the Merlin 45/ Mk.V, but it most definitely IS "related" to it. The Mk.I and II shared the same oil cooler, and aside from testbeds, Mk.IIs were built as such, at Castle Bromwich, even if they did start with some "donated" Supermarine-manufactured components. (Supermarine had borrowed parts from CB, also.)

Improved cooling was, as you say, explored on the HSD (Speed Spitfire), but the new oil cooler was referred to as the "Mk.III type", which is the Mark (Merlin XX) it was designed (planned for production) for. It was soon recognized that the Merlin 45 would require the new cooler, but production was not yet available, so some Mk.Vs (a/b) were built with the existing type. In the summer months of 1941 (starting from April or so) those Mk.Vs were retrofitted with the new oil cooler installation. Supermarine did have a Modification on the books for installing this cooler on Mk.IIs, but that does not mean that it was generally done. To suggest that the kit's oil cooler is "correct" for a Mk.II is really not right, even though SOME examples can be found.

bob

The MkII was fitted with the ganged cooler from april 1941 on the CB production line, this was done because the Merlin XII was marginal on oil temps, and it was from that date that production MkVs with Merlin 45s were equipped with the ganged cooler -

there is evidence that the last production MkIs were fitted with it too, though these aircraft went straight to OTUs.

Mine isn't. I have just taken a pair of callipers to the Revell, Trumpeter and Tamiya kits, there is less than 1mm external difference in width between the 3 of them, the cockpit opening is within .5mm :suicide:

you are right! ... it's not as bad as 3mm.

P1060850_zps31b02c18.jpg

and here is the Revell

P1060853_zpsb23232bb.jpg

taken at the front of the door, thats just 1.7mm too wide in the Revell at the widest point, but the trouble is that the Revell doesnt narrow below this, which means the kit loses that beautiful gull wing shape around the wings and fuselage, AND the Revell is too narrow in the nose around the Merlin's cam covers - so the Revell kit looks porky in the middle.

All in all it has nothing of the delicacy of the Spitfire's elegant lines -

Edited by KingK_series

I think he means electric wire not fencing wire :tease:

Got it, FBW controls ! Since there were no smiley in his reply, I assume he didn't get the tone of my message.

Anyway, aileron & crow bar issue aside, this is a damn nice built Spit !

you are right! ... it's not as bad as 3mm.

P1060850_zps31b02c18.jpg

and here is the Revell

P1060853_zpsb23232bb.jpg

taken at the front of the door, thats just 1.7mm too wide in the Revell at the widest point, but the trouble is that the Revell doesnt narrow below this, which means the kit loses that beautiful gull wing shape around the wings and fuselage, AND the Revell is too narrow in the nose around the Merlin's cam covers - so the Revell kit looks porky in the middle.

All in all it has nothing of the delicacy of the Spitfire's elegant lines -

…..and then measure the Tamiya kit with the fuselage formers fitted…….. ;)

…..and then measure the Tamiya kit with the fuselage formers fitted…….. ;)

NO NEED

- can you not see the Revell kit just looks really wrong?

the fuselage does not take the shape of the real aircraft as it narrows below the midline, and while it is too wide at the cockpit, it is much too narrow over the top of the engine, all in all the shape does not reflect the shape of a Spitfire, it looks crude and clumsy -

- note also the three planes in the fuel tank armour on the Revell kit, which are completely out of character from a Spitfire, and the flats undr the wing leading edge at the wing root,

- I find it very strange some have identified the oil cooler as an issue, when it is not - and have not picked up on the basic shape of the main parts -

Hi all, I would like to thank everyone for the input on this subject as it has helped me enormously in deciding that I must have one of these! One point no one seems to have thought about is, as the kit is based on aircraft currently in museums or flying warbirds it is accurate to to these particular aircraft. I know everyone has been wanting a "perfect" Mk1 or Mk2 for many a year, though we now with this kit an opportunity to actually model one of the few aircraft which are left. Is there no one else who would like a kit of one of our prized possessions P7350? I know when ever I see her flying over head ( as she did last weekend over Harrogate) it makes me want to make a replica of her even more! From what I have read on this site and a particular larger scale site, this kit would be perfect as a starting point to building this aircraft.