New Revell 1/48th Tornado - Nose issue?

AnonymousAA72

Finally got round to getting hold of this kit today, thought about making a start but see Eduard are bringing out a rather nice looking set of wheels for it in August as well as undercarriage legs. Think I'll hold off!

Agreed the guns are a little bit too far back.

But keep in mind the peculiar way Revell has moulded their windscreen: The transparant part is much larger than what needs to remain clear. A big part needs to be blent in and painted with the fuselage. When the windscreen is not placed, or just dry fitted in place (see Shaun's post), you would almost think the guns and the windscreen's datum line coincide... This is however not the case.

I'm just trying to point out things are not easy to judge if the model is not completed/painted yet!

I hope I make sense!!!

Best regards,

Guillaume

Not to hijack this thread...

On the topic of major corrections of the Revell Tornado, have you noticed the large deformation on the leading edge of the base of the fin? As if someone crushed it with their thumb? revell10.jpg

Should look like this:

tornad10.jpg

tornad11.jpg

Guess we have to slap on some epoxy putty...

I started a new thread concerning this issue:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963392-new-revell-tornado-tail-issue/?p=1670612

Edited by Adats-Coyote

Hi. My take on the gun port area is that it's the trough itself that's too far back. Ie the insert itself. I'd either move it forward a tad or extend the gun trough forward so it's tip is underneath that hinge point. The pics linked to show this really well.

Bill, can't decide on nose, which means I'll have to and buy one now! Lol

Has anyone measured model length vs real? That might give a clue, assuming all other areas are OK?

Jonners

Hi. My take on the gun port area is that it's the trough itself that's too far back. Ie the insert itself. I'd either move it forward a tad

Jonners

I think it the size of the trough thats wrong the area is fine, look at photo's and you can see the trough is too small and to short.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I'm in Southern France at the moment , away from my models but have been following the thread on here and on ARC. Re. The gun troughs, I think that they are more or less in the right position, but the front of the trough needs extending forward, as Jonners says above. Good shout on the fin base! Regarding the radome, I have chopped out the offending section - rightly or wrongly, but if wrong I may use the nose off of my never to be finished Trumpeter kit...

another look - and i think you are right mate.

Jonners

Look at the shape of the port in this photo, it you look were the painted horizontal line is on the front of the panel you can see the trough is too short.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/301-400/walk386_Tornado/images_Avinash_Sosale/03_gunranger.JPG

Shaun.

No matter how much we knock this kit, it's still leagues ahead of any of the other kit ever produced of the Tornado. Well done Revell

• Like 1

Well I suppose it will depend on the variation you go for, on our GR1 the flexane covers the seam, on our GR4 the flexane ends short so you can see the seam. It would appear German aircraft are like the GR1.

I believe that the radome does not end at the black or dark grey edge. I think it extends back to the next panel line. If you look at pics of the radome, it has 3 metal strips, one each side and one on top. These are not (as I have seen described) lightning conducting strips, but protective stripes for when the nose radome cover is fitted. The strips on both sides extend back past the black/grey edge. The radome can be opened, hinging to the right (with your back to the jet) as does the skirt, the next panel behind radome. Buggered if I can find a pic to show this though !!

Hope you can get what I'm on about !!!

These may help.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/smeders/histor21_zpsbf33d1f7.jpg

This pic shows what I believe is the entire radome. Note green painted aft section.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/smeders/walk_001_zps9df0a437.jpg

Radome with skirt attached. Different to above pic - without skirt attached.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/smeders/tornado20maintenance_zps1aa0b50a.jpg

Credit to owners of photo's. Used to get my point across.

Edited by smeds

The seam in question is the join between the resin material that is the radome and the ally skin that is attached to the material which supports the entire radome and attaches to the maxi skirt. If it wasn't reinforced with the ally skin, the resin material would just split. If I remember I'll get a photo tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...