Pz.Kpfw.IV ausf H, 12th SS Panzer Div

Can't manage D-day ( they received orders on the 6th, but didn't arrive until late in they day - However they did counterattack the Canandians on D+1).

This is the Dragon kit with the full skirts and molded zimmerit, which makes life easier

P1000162_zpsf3a82676.jpg

Work commences as it normal for clanky things with loads of wheels

P1000164_zpsd70d3926.jpg

Then adding the bolt ons to the hull. The Dragon instructions are being honest absolutely terrible - being one of their 'bag of sprues' kits from various previous issues there are loads of alternative parts. In addition there are parts missing from the instructions, and where they are marked it's by sprue and number - that would be fine if there weren't duplicate / alternative sprues. For example there are 5 different 'T' sprues, 2 'D' sprues, 4 'A' sprues. Makes it less fun to do than i'd have liked.

Anyway the hull

P1000165_zps5c1b49d2.jpg

Then finally for the day, built up the exhaust, still loads more bits to add to the rear hull plate.

P1000166_zpsffd104c6.jpg

Peter

• Like 3

Well more done today - first finished off the rear hull plate

P1000167_zps4fa096bb.jpg

Then put on the running gear, and the idler wheels

P1000168_zpsd67d0776.jpg

Now time for another rant - this kit is terrible. The instructions are truly terrible, referring to sprues that aren't in this boxing, and with multiple sprues with the same letter you are left to guess which of the 6 almost identical parts to use. Really winds me up this as it's simply sloppy. I have spent more time today 'part hunting' than anything else.

Anyway hull mostly done though the fit of the vents was very poor - had to resort to CA to get the back to fit at all.

P1000170_zps891430c4.jpg

P1000169_zpsca30bc7f.jpg

Peter

• Like 3

I'm sure I'll enjoy this more once the main construction is finished. I've built a dragon Pzr IV before, it seems to be this particular boxing that is the problem. They seem to have taken the instructions for one version, then added additional sprues from other kits with Zimmerit molded on, without updating the instructions. Even the sprue list on the instructions doesn't match what's in the box ( e.g. Sprue S from a Brummbar isn't mentioned but is actually referred to as sprue Z in the instructions, apart from when it's Sprue T ).

Just leads to lots of part hunting, where you have to rely on the pictures than any part numbers, and given the huge number of almost identical parts it's a nightmare.

Anyhow rant over - just wanting to let anyone else who get's this particular boxing know what they are in for -).

Peter

• Like 2

Peter, that is typical Dragon. I have got a few half build models lying around to be finished, but I lost interest because it takes to long before you see some result. I think I need to invest more in the good old Tamiya kits.

But don't let my words discourage you from this build. Please go on.I want to see it finished.

Cheers,

More work today - got the brackets for the skirts on, and the skirts. No idea what the metal the skirts is, but it seems incredibly CA resistant, so the mounting brackets keep sheering off.

Anyhow skirts just slotted in-place to check the fit, Then sprayed with a coat Vallejo Dunkelgelb primer.

P1000175_zps7ef649d9.jpg

P1000174_zps7217ba62.jpg

P1000176_zpsb76b3fa6.jpg

Peter

• Like 2

Today, finally some fun :D, Painting the cammo

P1000177_zps94ee8bec.jpg

P1000178_zpsf5dee199.jpg

P1000179_zps700db68f.jpg

Then painted all the wheel rims and added the tracks - the DS tracks were really nice, glued with no problems and took a coat of paint nicely.

P1000180_zps6a2b48e4.jpg

Then finally for the weekend, a coat of klear over the top

P1000182_zpse79f5ba2.jpg

Peter

• Like 3