Bye-bye Sabre

Just read this on the Key Publishing forum:

Duxford based Golden Apple Operations Ltd has today suspended flying of their North American F-86A Sabre (48-178). Subject to completion of contract the aircraft will be returning to the United States in the very near future.

We are extremely grateful to all who have supported us and for the enthusiastic following by many over the last 22 years. It has been an enormous challenge yet an immense privilege to operate the world’s oldest jet powered aircraft, the only airworthy F-86A and the only Sabre flying in Europe. We have been fortunate to have had the backing of many committed individuals over the years and we are all saddened that our involvement in this particular chapter of 48-178’s history is now drawing to an end.

We will be fully supporting the transition to operations in the USA and we wish the new owner the very best of luck.

What a bummer. One of my favourite jet displays :weep: .

• 3 weeks later...

Very Sad! Last time I saw it display was at Shoreham last year, Always loved seeing it fly and my most favourite cold war jet of the 50s era. Missng it already!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

did you get any photos.... ?

Sabreultralow_zpsf122a589.jpg

No Zoom but this gives you an idea just how low she was :wow:

Fantastic seven minute display on arrival at Baldonnel for flighfest September last year sorry for delay just found out how to upload pics

Sabrelow3_zps867580f8.jpg

SabreBal_zpsd7b217a7.jpg

Edited by Team Aer Lingus
  • Like 1

Sabreultralow_zpsf122a589.jpg

No Zoom but this gives you an idea just how low she was :wow:

Fantastic seven minute display on arrival at Baldonnel for flighfest September last year sorry for delay just found out how to upload pics

Sabrelow3_zps867580f8.jpg

SabreBal_zpsd7b217a7.jpg

Eamonn...... :wow: those are BRILLIANT.....Thank you.

Oh SHE LOOKS AWESOME in the last shot. .

AMAZING .....THANK YOU.

:heart::wub:

Houston

Many thanks for your kind words have to admit we nearly missed her just about to leave Baldonnel when we heard her call sign on the radio approaching runway 23 reckon she went between tower & hangars wonder if any Air Corps personnel captured her from the other side of the fence lol

It was a joy watching her go through her paces that Saturday a lot tamer during Flighfest sadly (High winds didn't help any of the Aircraft performing to be fair).

Eamonn

Having seen her a number of times over the years, I'm sad to hear she's going, but these things happen. I can remember being sad when the Tigercat went too, and that we weren't being treated to a season of the new Mossie over here, but what can ya do? Make an effort to see them before they go, and that's about it :shrug:

• Like 1

I had a closer look at the Sabre in Duxford and there's one detail about the wings I never noticed before: because of the presence of the wing fence I always assumed it had been retrofitted with the 6-3 hard wing. But actually, that doesn't seem to be the case. It has the original short-chord, slatted wing, but the slats are fixed in the closed position and the wing fence is added on top of them... I wonder when this mod had been done and if this was done on other slatted wing Sabres as well.

Really gutted to see her go, and all the other US type planes as well (F7F, P-47, P-40B, F6F...).

• 2 weeks later...

she's still at Duxford - i was there today. in the same place as team air lingus' photo, but with a cover over the cockpit. airbrakes open.

I had a closer look at the Sabre in Duxford and there's one detail about the wings I never noticed before: because of the presence of the wing fence I always assumed it had been retrofitted with the 6-3 hard wing. But actually, that doesn't seem to be the case. It has the original short-chord, slatted wing, but the slats are fixed in the closed position and the wing fence is added on top of them... I wonder when this mod had been done and if this was done on other slatted wing Sabres as well.

Really gutted to see her go, and all the other US type planes as well (F7F, P-47, P-40B, F6F...).

It was done by the original restorer Ben Hall in the 70s. There was problems in the slat mechanism during the restoration and to eliminate a bunch of headaches, he decided to lock them closed and add the fence of the 6-3 wing. It is one-of-a-kind.

Tony

• Like 1

It was done by the original restorer Ben Hall in the 70s. There was problems in the slat mechanism during the restoration and to eliminate a bunch of headaches, he decided to lock them closed and add the fence of the 6-3 wing. It is one-of-a-kind.

Tony

Thanks very much for the info!

Best regards

Jeffrey

• Like 1