Airfix C-47 from Upottery Over Dropzone

Stepping out of my comfort zone of Axis and into the world of the Allies i hve chosen the new tool Airfix Douglas C-47 Skytrain for my entry in the D Day G/B . I start with very little refrence material and probably not one of the paints needed (may have black).

The kit arrived on the 6th from jadlamracing and was quickly opend to see what could be in such a large box. I do like the Airfix boxes as they are sturdy and look to be crush resistant and of course top opening.

P1000252.jpg

On examining the marking options i was happily suprised to find the exact markings of the machine i had planed to do . I had almos spent around £10.00 on some aftermarket decals FCM sheet #72-28

lucky inever got around to buying them.

P1000259.jpg

The Airfield at Upottery is only a few miles from my home and i have visited before on the Anual D Day event .

The New airfix kit looks fantastic and the panel lines look to be spot on . I could not see one bit of flash anywhere.

P1000253.jpg

P1000254.jpg

P1000255.jpg

P1000256.jpg

P1000257.jpg

P1000258.jpg

A quick dry fix shows that the fit looks to be excellent and i am thinking this could be a putty free build :)

P1000262.jpg

P1000260-Copy.jpg

P1000261.jpg

I intend to build this aircraft in flight and in the progress of droping its cargo of U.S Airbourne over the dropzone

During my reserch i came across this imaginative build

CA_C-47_02.jpg

I intend to do this scene but in a slightly different way .

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 8

Will be watching this with eager anticipation. Thanks for publishing the sprue shots. They're the first ones I've seen.

I've recently done this aircraft in 1/48 and got some details of the aircraft below - be careful if you are filling her full of troops, as she may have been full of materiel.

"Kilroy is Here" of the 92nd TCS of the 439th TCG and delivered part of the 377th PFA (Parachute Field Artillery) Battalion of the 101st AB Division on the Dawn of D-Day

She was ship #38 of serial #10 and flown by 1st Lt. William K. Watson

*corrected*

Edited by Phil Podmore
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil for your intresting info. I hadn't even considerd that the cargo could have been cargo . Am i right in thinking that a field artillery gun would be parashooted down in parts ? I found this pic

step1.jpg

A crew pushing out a cargo would also make an intresting story. Does anyone have any idea how large the crew would be to push out the cargo and did they when finished jump as well?

Hi Alistair

Really like your idea, this should look great when it's done, I'm not going to be that adventurous with mine!

Can I ask a question, what does the Airfix instructions say that the interior colour should be? I'm assuming its interior green but the Trumpeter instructions are somewhat confusing and keep making references to "sky" as they colour??

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Alistair

Really like your idea, this should look great when it's done, I'm not going to be that adventurous with mine!

Can I ask a question, what does the Airfix instructions say that the interior colour should be? I'm assuming its interior green but the Trumpeter instructions are somewhat confusing and keep making references to "sky" as they colour??

Richard

Hi Richard

Airfix instructions simply say 226 which i think is Humbrol interior green . I have no idea weather that is U.S or British. As i have no interior green myself i was thinking of useing paints from the Gunze range as lots of people seem to rave about them .Anybody any thoughts on the best place to buy them from ?

Had a look at your build Phil and it has given me loads of ideas to transfer to my build .Many thanks.

Good looking project. Having seen yours on here I checked out the kit in Derby market hall today. Took a lot to leave it on the shelf.........this time! Will watch your progress with interest.

• Like 1

Good looking project. Having seen yours on here I checked out the kit in Derby market hall today. Took a lot to leave it on the shelf.........this time! Will watch your progress with interest.

Congratulations on exersising your willpower today ,it will make it all the more exciting when you succome and sneek one back into the house (beware its a large box) :pirate: . I will do my utmost to make you rush out and get one.

• Like 1

Have carried out some major surgery and im now commited to the cutaway.

Marking out the area to remove took many attempts to get looking how i wanted it and avoiding bulkheads and keeping above the floor height. Had to glue the wing Gusset on as my cut whent into this part.

P1000267.jpg

I decided to open up the side oposite the door so that the view from the back would show the door and the view of the jumper looking out through the door..

After marking out i chain drilled the surround which was the longest chaindrill run i have done ,infact i had to do it in 4 takes due to drill cramp.

P1000269.jpg

After the area was removed an hour with sanding sticks and file

P1000273.jpg

P1000272.jpg

A dry run with the floor in and its looking good and my reservations on cutting up an expensive kit have left me .

• Like 8

Hi Richard

Airfix instructions simply say 226 which i think is Humbrol interior green . I have no idea weather that is U.S or British. As i have no interior green myself i was thinking of useing paints from the Gunze range as lots of people seem to rave about them .Anybody any thoughts on the best place to buy them from ?

Had a look at your build Phil and it has given me loads of ideas to transfer to my build .Many thanks.

You can buy Gunze paints from Model Design Construction on the web. Bob from MDC is great and will offer any advice you need.

Tom.

• Like 1

You can buy Gunze paints from Model Design Construction on the web. Bob from MDC is great and will offer any advice you need.

Tom.

Thanks Tom i will have a look at MDC at lunch and hope to get an order off.

I've got the kit here to review which I'm hoping to get done this weekend. Your build is a great inspiration to follow on and build it, love the idea of the cutaway :)

I look forward to your review and will ne intrested in your views on the pannel lines . I think that they are some of Airfixes best . I am going to stick my neck out and give them a big 10/10. The pilots on the other hand sitting there with hands on laps look rather an after thought. I would have thought that it would have been worth the time investment to come up with some top notch dynamic crew who could be used over a range of the new Airfix kits .Pilots 4/10

Have just spent a most productive weekend in a caravan by the coast in North Cornwall, the wife doing a jigsaw puzzle and while not takeing our dog for long walks plenty of time for myself to crack on with the C-47 . The caravan belongs to the inlaws and one of the rules is no painting . No problem as there was plenty of work not involving paint .

P1000265.jpg

These two extra strong magnets have been attached to lower wing with some Araldite.

P1000270.jpg

This will form part of the anti gravity levitation system :)

• Like 1