Tamiya Chieftain converted into a MK11

Thank you chaps for the comments,

Matthew, it's a good fast build, some small things that are annoying for an expensive bit of kit but a few basic skills can easily put right.

It's a complete conversion and only really uses the lower hull from the base kit, the only criticisim is the lack of decals for the MK11.

I have enough to put something together from old decal sheets but for over 60 quid it would of been nice to have some in the box.

Regards

Dan

I must admit I find AA stuff lovely but very expensive. Their decal sets for modern armour are a tenner a pop! I'm waiting for some from Kingfisher which were about £2.50!

A few more pictures of progress, rear bins added, first aid box and a few other bits.

The front as mentioned before was blended with Magic sculpt, it had a slight step where the plastic joined the resin upper hull.

CIMG3661_zps8413cf1f.jpg

CIMG3660_zps83f1a206.jpg

CIMG3659_zps318e04c0.jpg

CIMG3658_zpsed33423e.jpg

CIMG3657_zps71a8a288.jpg

CIMG3656_zps2d025c5e.jpg

CIMG3655_zps12a92dec.jpg

CIMG3654_zps7e3249f6.jpg

CIMG3653_zps7cf8a286.jpg

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Roger, it will be a while I think before we see paint.

I've started on the side skirts, soldering up the bottle openers on the sides, i'm using liquid solder for this.

CIMG3663_zps08421ec0.jpg

CIMG3662_zps785fe9ed.jpg

Its quite fiddly to do !

Regards

Dan

Nice work so far.

I'm planning to get the Berlin camo version from accurate armour.

Is the extra-Ed PE set still needed with this conversion?

I thought you did already get everything with accurate's set?

Nice work so far.

I'm planning to get the Berlin camo version from accurate armour.

Is the extra-Ed PE set still needed with this conversion?

I thought you did already get everything with accurate's set?

It's not really required but I already had the Eduard set in the stash, some areas of the AA conversion like the comanders machine gun fittings are just a copy of the kit parts complete with sink marks. I'm also going to use the tie downs for the turret from the Eduard set as these are better than just leaving the moulded on AA ones in place.

Just so you know the MK 11's never served in Berlin, they were considered to valuable to give to a unit who's time in war would of been measured in seconds.

Regards

Dan

How long did Berlin Cam last? The Thermal Observation & Gunnery Sight only came in in the late '80s and reference pictures I have of my Regiment when they provided the Berlin Squadron in '87 or '88 show the panzers in green...

I came to Berlin in 1989 and 1991, and this second time we did make a visit to the British armoured unit.

All the tanks I saw did wear the urban camo.

I even had the chance to drive one.

Can check when back at home in France, where I have the pics.

HI Dan

Lovely looking build. Just an observation, and I am happy to be told I'm wrong, but the pics with the tracks fitted on Page 2 - aren't the tracks on 'back to front'? The pics of actual Chieftains I have show the "V" going down at the front and up at the rear. I'll be first to admit to NOT being an expert but I have some photos which I've been using for the Berlin Camo version I'm doing at present. Mind you - me being a tight Scotsman, I haven't updated the version appropriately - I'm just building the Tamiya OOB with the camo scheme cos I love the colours (how 'girlie' is that?"!!! LOL! ;) ).

Kev

• Like 1

HI Dan

Lovely looking build. Just an observation, and I am happy to be told I'm wrong, but the pics with the tracks fitted on Page 2 - aren't the tracks on 'back to front'? The pics of actual Chieftains I have show the "V" going down at the front and up at the rear. I'll be first to admit to NOT being an expert but I have some photos which I've been using for the Berlin Camo version I'm doing at present. Mind you - me being a tight Scotsman, I haven't updated the version appropriately - I'm just building the Tamiya OOB with the camo scheme cos I love the colours (how 'girlie' is that?"!!! LOL! ;) ).

Kev

Hi Kev,

Tracks are on just to check the fit and the sag so you are probably right fella :-) They have several processes

to go through before I fit them for good. It would be good to see more Chieftains being built on the forum so what every way

you plan on building is fine and I'll be watching :evil_laugh: .

The Tamiya kit oob is not too bad as a MK 3,you still need to do a few tweaks but considering it's age I think its still a nice kit.

Here is a link to chap who knows more than me about the various MK's

http://www.onepointed.com/dan/model/ChieftainTweaks/

Cheers

Dan

More progress pictures,

Side skirts are half done, one side to do now, TOGS door added, some padlocks and the smoke grenade dis-chargers added to the turret.

Some smaller PE bits done to the drivers hatch and the front fender supports.

Enjoy.

CIMG3673_zpsd769b225.jpg

CIMG3672_zpsec7c1877.jpg

CIMG3671_zps88ec5e12.jpg

CIMG3670_zpsbcd604cb.jpg

CIMG3669_zps5a933faa.jpg

CIMG3668_zps040c4dda.jpg

CIMG3667_zpsed0c216c.jpg

CIMG3666_zps71295afb.jpg

back later.

Dan

• Like 3

Those skirt plates look excellent. They're almost the kind of thing I'd be tempted to knock up myself from plasticard, or alternatively see if the design master could help me make from sheet metal...

The rest looks pretty impressive, too. The little brackets down at the front of the hull by the trackguards are one of those annoying little bits that one forgets about then notices too much when they're missing!

Interesting about the Berlin cam Derbyeomanry. I must dig out my copy of my Regiment's journal from when we were there late '80s (just before I joined) as I am certain the panzers were conventionally coloured. It could, though, be old age & forgetfulness or of course that The Skins did things their own way...

Interesting handle, by the way. I worked with the TA in the East Midlands & East Anglia so had dealings with the Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry. I had some very convivial afternoons at the races watching the LDY Chase with the Regimental Association...

Thanks for the kind comments Chaps, It will be a day or two before I get the chance to do anything more on the build, the folks are coming up from Cornwall for a few days so I'll see you all next week.

Kev, always knew you love a bit or skirt fella !

Dan