DC-6 into a DC-4

I want to build a DC-4 in 1/72 scale, is it possible to convert a Heller DC-6?, if so, what needs to be done? I also want to build an ATL-98 Carvair to the same scale. I know the Carvair is available in 1/144, but I would like bigger, and I think that Heritage Aviation Models could make a conversion set.

There was a two part article in Scale Aircraft Modelling a long time ago. But Its going to be a hard slog! Itw as bad enough building my Mach 2 kit and finishing it as a Buffalo Airways one. You may have seen it here.

From a -6 to a -4 will entail shortening the fuselage, altering the fin, changing the engines.......

Rumour has it there may well be a new injected kit coming ....

Hi Gumbie.

As Paul said, SAM did a 12 page 2 part article in the 'Ian Huntley Column' series on converting the Heller/Humbrol 1/72 DC6b, in Vol 7 No 9 (June 1985) and Vol 8 No 10 (July 1985), these articles included scale plans by Ian Huntley.

Robin.

In the meantime you can always build a 1/144 DC-4 by Minicraft. A very nice kit. And a DC-6 to go with it to give you an idea of how much there is between the two types.

Red Roo do a conversion set, which gives you all you need - https://www.redroomodels.com/conversions.php?manufacturer=1. This only shows the update set for the Mach 2 kit, but Gary will be able to fill you in on the Heller set.

Also search down through this page - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before ...

You need this

https://www.redroomodels.com/conversions.php?conversion=1618

and reasonably good modelling skills

or, if you buy a Mach 2 kit, you definitely need this

https://www.redroomodels.com/conversions.php?conversion=1619

This is perhaps easier than the Heller route but, arguably, will not give you quite as accurate a kit, unless you lengthen the Mach 2 fuselage.

I have it on pretty good authority that the Uncle Tom Cobley Modellwerken 1/72 injection DC-4 will be very good indeed with fully detailed l interior (including toilets) and is slated for 2019 or 2021 as they are high resolution 3D scanning the entire aircraft including the interior. It will be their very first injection model and they are doing it in collaboration with Eduard MA. It is hoped it will retail for under three hundred pounds although this doesn't take future inflation into account.

The Carvair you perhaps should wait for as we have a joint project with some other company to do a decent conversion for one - it's still a 'feasibilty study' at the moment. A combination of the existing vacform and the Red Roo parts will give you a pretty decent one - I know of two guys building them at the moment.

• Like 1

Sorry, but, although I appreciate the efforts, the high quality DC 4 sounds like something containing many part most modellers will not want or need at a price few will be able to afford.

Some of us won't even live that long and that is the generation that will most want it.

Things are getting too complicated.

Guys ---

If you still want to do the conversion in 1/72, I did one a while back for a Canadair North Star. Check out the build in the 72nd Galleries on the IPMS 'Buzz" Buerling site*. There's also a link to the full build article within the gallery entry for the North Star. Whether you're building a DC-4 or a Canadair North Star/Argonaut straight from the Heller kit or x-kitting, the build article should shed some light on your project.

*sorry, but it wouldn't allow me to copy n' paste the direct link.

Scott

http://agapemodels.com/2011/02/14/aftermarket-sets-dana-kophers-dc-4c-54-resin-conversion-set/

Don't know if these is still available.

I'm in the middle of converting a Heller DC-6 to a C-54 from scratch using only modified kit parts and parts from the spare box. Its not the easiest conversion to do. But I'm confident it will turn out okay.

The fuselage has been cut just forward of the wing and have a 32,6mm plug removed, Directly aft of the wing root another cut and a further 17mm plug was removed. I chose to use my razor saw and remove the kit windows row entirely, inserted and super glued a 3mm thick clear acrylic strip, which was then sanded to shape and flush with the rest of the fuselage. Polished with micro mesh 3600-12000 grid wet and dry abrasive cloths, awaiting a final coat of clear.

Backside of this method is that all those crystal clear oval windows is acting as small magnifiers. Still debating if I have to scratch a simple interior for it, just in case. I'm leaning toward not to do it.

Chose this method for the oval windows row because I'm building this aircraft http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/4/8/4/0827484.jpg

Have the decals for it and is going to use the decals as a template for masking the windows to ensure a 100% fit with the decals.

The vertical stabilizer have been shortened a little and cut very roughly to shape. Final shaping is planned when the fuselage is glued together.

The horizontal stabilizers is shortened and sanded to shape, still need to glue a small plug where the wing root joins the fuselage.

The trickiest part of the conversion in my book is the engines, propellers and nacelles. Especially, when I have decided only to use modified kit parts or spare box items. Had four engines in my spare box from two scrapped Italeri C-47's these has been cut aft of the cooling flaps 14mm long and is going to be be joined to the wing nacelles via a 5mm plastic card plug. Since these engines is smaller in diameter than the DC-6 engines some sanding will occur.

The propellers is another culprit, the propellers from the scrapped C-47 have the right shape but is looking a tad small. Took the plunge and sanded the DC-6 props into shape instead, when the model is finished I'll decide which of the 2 sets is looking best.

I don't claim this conversion I'm doing is a 100% measurement correct model. But does it look like a C-54 when finished? If it do I'm happy.

Edited by hgbn

No it isn't but you can get the Red Roo versions which are the same but have a few extra parts - links above. These would have made your conversion job substantially easier. However you have addressed nearly all of the areas needing work and I look forward to seeing your effort in pictures. You need to modify the exhausts and astrodome and check whether a radar nose is appropriate or not. The underside profile of the fuselage needs a little work but our conversion does not provide more than a drawing for this.

I'll see if I can get a few shots of the current progress in the next couple of days. Hopefully tomorrow. Been filing and sanding the nacelles most the day, just need to smooth out the areas, so I can add exhausts, carburetor intakes and the oil cooler or whatever the intakes under the engines are for.

You're quite right. A lot of time and tedious work could have been saved by using above said parts. Oh well I wasn't aware of these sets before I already had started cutting and sanding. Now its just to prove it to myself that it can be done. I like the challenge. However its more than likely that in the future when converting another C-54 I might invest in these parts.. Unless of course that a mainstream producer in the meantime offers a better kit of this subject in 1/72 scale... ( I'll need at least 6 C-54D/G total just to cover the Royal Danish Air Force variations) plus a couple of DC-4 for a SAS and a DDL aircraft.

The radar nose, exhausts and other small items is on my list of to do. I'm considering to file and sand the radar nose out of a lump of solid lead, a notorious tail sitter like this bird need all the ballast it can carry as close to the nose as possible. I might add the support rod located in the tail hump as well. Looks like its present on all aircrafts when on Terra firma in all those available photos I have seen.

Not the right one for my aircraft it seems. the Heller kit got the one with a even smooth curve. Ours had a slightly bulkier radome as seen here http://www.thunderstreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/c-54-skymaster-n-625-deense-lm-melsbroek-brussel-24-6-1967-coll-engels.jpg

or here http://www.stall.dk/media/110524/skymaster.jpg

Edited by hgbn

• 4 weeks later...