Any Garden Railer's here?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get him a starter set (with a circle of track and controller) and put it up as a temporary layout in the garden. That normally gets people started :-)

Hmmm...food for thought. We built a large 00 indoor layout together when I was a kid and I don't think he's ever got over the 'playing with trains' thing...he has a GREAT garden for G-Rail (so I keep telling him)

• Like 1

Hmmm...food for thought. We built a large 00 indoor layout together when I was a kid and I don't think he's ever got over the 'playing with trains' thing...he has a GREAT garden for G-Rail (so I keep telling him)

LGB (Lehman Gross Bann or Lehman's Big Trains) is one of the traditional garden railway brands. They do a lot of continental-style trains. The locos and rolling stock are very solid and good quality. They do new starter sets for about £200 upwards or you can pick up second hand stuff a lot cheaper. The costs can be a bit high compared to smaller scales (the sheer volume of material in a 1/19th-1/29th scale item, and costs of moulds, etc become significant). The "Toy Trains" sets by LGB are very good for children/grandchildren as they are built to take punishment. You can also work up to very sophisticated live steam, fine scale locos that costs £1000's. Like plastic modelling, it is a very broad hobby!

A starter set is worth getting to see if the bug "bites". If your dad wants to take this more seriously, watch out for scale vs track gauge. For example, 45mm track can be used to run 1/19th scale stuff right through to 1/32nd. Track style and sleeper spacing are significant if you want to build accurate models to a specific scale. Power supplies need to be quite large if you get beyond the starter set - 5A-10A power supplies are not unusual requirements for some brands of locos.

I can recommend Kent Garden Railways (http://kentgardenrailways.com/) as a good place to shop - they have been around for ages and offer excellent advice. If you search the web for "garden railways" you will find quite a few places selling these kinds of trains. A word of caution about web searches - a search for "LGB" will not take you to anything to do with model trains. Also take a look at the G Scale Society - the group are full of helpful people who will happily offer help and advice (I am a member - but don't let put you off :-) )

Have fun!

anthony

LGB (Lehman Gross Bann or Lehman's Big Trains) is one of the traditional garden railway brands. They do a lot of continental-style trains. The locos and rolling stock are very solid and good quality. They do new starter sets for about £200 upwards or you can pick up second hand stuff a lot cheaper. The costs can be a bit high compared to smaller scales (the sheer volume of material in a 1/19th-1/29th scale item, and costs of moulds, etc become significant). The "Toy Trains" sets by LGB are very good for children/grandchildren as they are built to take punishment. You can also work up to very sophisticated live steam, fine scale locos that costs £1000's. Like plastic modelling, it is a very broad hobby!

A starter set is worth getting to see if the bug "bites". If your dad wants to take this more seriously, watch out for scale vs track gauge. For example, 45mm track can be used to run 1/19th scale stuff right through to 1/32nd. Track style and sleeper spacing are significant if you want to build accurate models to a specific scale. Power supplies need to be quite large if you get beyond the starter set - 5A-10A power supplies are not unusual requirements for some brands of locos.

I can recommend Kent Garden Railways (http://kentgardenrailways.com/) as a good place to shop - they have been around for ages and offer excellent advice. If you search the web for "garden railways" you will find quite a few places selling these kinds of trains. A word of caution about web searches - a search for "LGB" will not take you to anything to do with model trains. Also take a look at the G Scale Society - the group are full of helpful people who will happily offer help and advice (I am a member - but don't let put you off :-) )

Have fun!

anthony

I will encourage him to have a look! If it ever happened, I'll update! Thanks for that