RLM74/75. Help needed!

Mark

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building Eduard's Bf 109G and the final camouflage colours are given as RLM76 undersurfaces with the usual splinter/mottle of RLM74/75 on the upper surfaces.

I've got the complete range of Gunze Mr. Colour paints and the code given for the above colours is H417 for RLM76 and H68 and H69 for RLM74 and 75 respectively. But on testing these out on a scrap of plasticard, the Gunze colours come out way too green when I was expecting a two tone grey finish. Any thoughts? Any suggestions as which really is the best RLM74/75 combination?

Or maybe the artwork is wrong and it is actually a greener finish??

Anyway, HELP!!

They shouldn't be green. There was some confusion with the name Greengrau given to 74 - NOT by the Germans - and Squadron Signal took to presenting their Bf109s and Fw190s in colours like the RAF scheme of the time. But a green 75 appear to be original to Gunze... There are lots of other paint ranges with 74/75 - Xtracolours and WEM Colourcoats are the ranges I'm most familiar with. From the sound of it any combination of dark and medium greys would be better than what you've got.

Mmm...

RLM 74 is greygren, RLM 75 greyviolet and RLM 76 lightblue (but more light grey in my eyes).

So the 74/75 indeed is an two toon green/grey finish, not an two toon grey finish.

This is the colours that Tamiya has for RLM 74/75/76.

86503.gif
â–  ITEM 86503
AS3 Gray Green RLM 74

86504.gif
â–  ITEM 86504
AS4 Gray Violet RLM 75

86505.gif
â–  ITEM 86505
AS5 Light Blue RLM 76

Humbrol also have the RLM colours nowdays...

Edited by Andre B

RLM 74/75 IS two tone grey. I have used them recently and they didn't come out green. You may have a dodgy jar.

I'd personally listen to Michael Ullmann over Tamiya and Humbrol :-)

Adam

That's the same paints I used on my ME410

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949393-me-410-b-1-hornissecommander-iizg-26-koenigsberg-feb-1944/

What I will say is some of the Gunze's now need a really good stir before you use them, particularly the lighter greys - the 311 for the bottom of my current toom was white until stirred well.

But other than that I won't comment on colours - that's one of those 'here be dragons' topics

Don't compare them to other paints, that's how errors are multiplied and become established. Compare them to the original references, as much as is possible. Merrick's paint chips were prepared by the original paint manufacturers using their records.

• Like 1

Hi Gents, thank you all so much for your inout. I've tried other ranges and they all differ in shade and the suggestion of seeking out Michael Ullman's research has been really useful! Thanks again.