Injection moulding

melvyn hiscock

This may be the wrong place to post this, and it certainly is the wrong type of forum, but I am trying to find small volume injection moulding companies who may be able to help with some guitar parts. See, guitars!, I said it was wrong forum. However, seeing as most plastic models start with injection moulding then this may be the best place to pick brains.

I know nothing of the process so need handholding and advice on how to go about the whole thing. Any leads grafeully received

Melvyn Hiscock

If you post pics or explain what it is you require it would help, there are other alternatives that may lend themselves to what you require without going the injection moulding route which i think you will find surprisigly expensive.

Im not saying this will be the case and injection moulding may well be required but lets have a look at the parts first..

Mark

We use Protolabs for our prototype injection parts. Typical charges are around $5000+ for the mold then depending upon the part, around $5 - $10 per. If you are only looking at hundreds, then the piece part cost will be higher. That mold cost is for a basic short run mold. If you need more volume then the mold cost will be higher. There are a few companies on line which offer those type of services but their prices are all comparible. Also, your material cost can vary the piece part cost considerably.

once we go to production parts, the mold cost is then in the $40K - $50K region

You could probably buy a "hobby" type single shot injection press off ebay for less and have a very simple aluminum mold made for around $1000 or so, but you'd be limited to producing one part every couple of minutes

Depending upon the shape, it may be a cheaper option to have the plastic machined. A small shop with a CNC machine could churn them out at a reasonable rate (of course, that's dependent upon your selling cost and profit margin)