Lakenheath F-111F - Green Tail

This is the excellent Hasegawa 1/72 F-111F with unit markings from an Xtradecal F-4 sheet.

These pictures were not taken at the Chelsea flower show but I am experimenting with trying to recapture memories of slogging around the outside of various USAFE bases getting the occasional glimpse of something fantastic through the trees !

f111f018_zpsb5c0cc5f.jpg

f111f015_zpsda2cbb05.jpg

f111f010_zps2168e494.jpg

f111f009_zps503e6e78.jpg

f111f007_zps2d74e9d8.jpg

f111f006_zpsc1534557.jpg

f111f005_zps33713341.jpg

f111f004_zps2921d892.jpg

f111f002_zps765fdba5.jpg

f111f001_zps914e4acd.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

• Like 19

Very nice! I think you have captured the look and feel of the "vark" well, and the colours look just right. The scenario brings back memories of visits with a second hard camera and grainy bw film.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

Great looking Vark and the diorama looks really cool, how much room have you got for additional aircraft?

Mate, that is really is what Lakenheath looked like from the road.......I guess you never found the dirt track round the back that at least gave you a bit of an overview :winkgrin:

Apologies for the late response and thanks for the kind words chaps !

Excellent diorama. The only thing missing is the young chap in an anorak and binoculars lurking in the greenery.

That would be me then :D

That's a great build and I love the diorama! Did you make those trees yourself? They're very realistic.

The trees are straight out of boxes - mainly manufactured by a company called Heki. I keep an eye on model railway retailers for offers !

Great looking Vark and the diorama looks really cool, how much room have you got for additional aircraft?

The models were posed on this board which we used at the Cosford show...

cosford2014028_zps7ebb8ec3.jpg

Mate, that is really is what Lakenheath looked like from the road.......I guess you never found the dirt track round the back that at least gave you a bit of an overview :winkgrin:

Thanks PLC - that's just what I was after ! I certainly did find the track behind the base - great view from the top - is it still accessible ???

Cheers,

Haydn.

• Like 1