1/48 Airfix Jackal

I was after a simple quick build to get the mojo back. I figured this might fit the bill ....

Jackal-01.jpg

I really should have read the instructions first., and deciding to use the Blackdog PE set...... What was I thinking. But after some basic construction, I was committed.

The kit is quite complex in it's breakdown, get one thing wrong and throws the rest of the kit out (ask me how I know)

Anyway, here's the Kit .50 Cal

Jackal-02.jpg

And the nearly finished product with the RB barrel and Blackdog PE. I know the handle is wrong, I might try and change with piece of rod. I also hollowed out the ejection port - because I was bored

Jackal-03.jpg

Edited by Calum

• 7 months later...

This has been languishing in the box for quite a while. I got a bit further along before it got shelved so heres where it's at.

Next was the stowage nets on the side of the hull, I got a bit carried away and removed all the structure - I blame the poor Blackdog instructions

Jackal-04.jpg

This photo shows the bow in the rear sun cover . This may be due to my hamfistedness assembling the various sub assembly.

Jackal-05.jpg

I didn't like it so I cut it in half, and reglued it, it's not perfect, but it's better (the photo doesn't really show it). I used the same method on the long vertical struts ,as they were also bowed when they were located in their holes (sorry no photos). Again this is probably my fault

Jackal-06.jpg

Here's another shot of the .50 cal and the doors with their SA-80's

Jackal-07.jpg

I've got some of Pauls (http://www.redzebramodels.co.uk/) Stowage and equipment to integrate into the build

Edited by Calum

• 2 weeks later...

Paint on.

This is the Airfix Acrylic (237) called out in the instructions. I'd heard these paint's were hard (impossible) to airbrush. I found it no trouble at all.

Jackal-15.jpg

Details picked with Vallejo Acrylics. This took an age.

Jackal-16.jpg

Ammo boxes, resin boxes and jerricans are Paul Wades (http://www.redzebramodels.co.uk) Cardboard boxes from from J's modelworks,

Jackal-17.jpg

Jackal-18.jpg

Jackal-19.jpg

• Like 7

Great job, really pleased it turned out so well.

Cam I ask what would the basic kit turn out like ?

Cheers Pat

Pat

The basic kit looks pretty good but it's quite a complicated build, not like your normal Tamiya 48 scale armour kit. The ease of build of the Tamiya kits is one of the attractions of them IMHO.

And whilst all this PE looks great I'm not sure how much it really adds considering the amount of time and effort it takes to assemble and attach it. The basic kit does lack equipment stowage etc.

• Like 1

I noticed on many of the vehicles in Afghan there was a vinyl cover over the winch and covers over the headlights. The headlight ones were often rolled up. I used Tamiya tape to cover the winch and little rolls of Tamiya tape for the headlight cover.

The kit decals went down well.

Jackal-20.jpg

A wash of Tamiya brown enamel and AK Interactive OIF/OEF wash for modern US vehicles was applied over the gloss coat.

Jackal-21.jpg

Also on this side is Paul Wades stowage ( http://www.redzebramodels.co.uk)which I've used to replace the Black box PE (as is on the other side) .

I've tried to paint the Bergen the new MTP Camo pattern but I'm not convinced (it looks worse in the image because it's twice the actual size). Thoughts?

Jackal-22.jpg

• Like 3

Nearly done. I figure these would get a bit dirty/dusty in Afghan. I weathered all the surfaces with oil paint to try and simulate this. I've started the "dust" process using AK interactive enamel dust.

Jackal-23.jpg

I received from advice that the storage rack on the left hand rear was wrongly configured.

So I pulled it off and put it back the same as the other side. it still needs some weathering to match the rest of the vehicle.

I've re-arranged the stowage to fit. And put the SA-80's on the doors

Jackal-24.jpg

Also was told the seats were wrong, After checking some online photos I repainted them. They need weathering now as I doubt these would be "clean" in theatre

Jackal-25.jpg

Attached the PSP on the front with strops made of Tamiya tape and PE buckles

Jackal-26.jpg

Jackal-27.jpg

Thinking of putting some of Pauls stowage lying on the floor. The idea is that the guys have stopped for a break or resupply. I wish I had some modern figures just lounging around

Jackal-28.jpg

Added a tarp from the spares box to the rear and thrown some boxes in there. Not sure if this will be the final configuration

Jackal-29.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was after a simple quick build to get the mojo back. I figured this might fit the bill ....

I would hate to see how log a slow complicated build would take! ;)

But seriously that is looking fantastic. Love all the detail you have added and the painting & weathering are spot on. Kudos to you Sir

• 2 weeks later...