Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter/Tiger II STGB

As usual I have been a bit bored on shift and was playing on the internet and found some really cool photos of Vietnam era F-5A Freedom Fighters…which got me thinking of cause……. Northrop F-5 STGB???

I’m sure someone will tell me if it has already been done!

But I would like to throw it out there for a STGB for the Northrop F-5. Now this should include the F-5A/B/C Freedom Fighter’s, F-5E/F Tiger II’s, plus to be fair to those who like their trainers the T-38 Talon plus the unusual the F-20 Tigershark and X-29.

There you go, there are heaps of different users of this wonderful little aircraft so we should be able to get a good spread of variations, plus lots of good models in various scales available as well.

Plus our resident Guru on all things Middle Eastern (MiG’s etc) has a new book out on the Iranian F-5 Tigers! :thumbsup:

--------------

de list....

1, trickyrich - de host

2, Jabba

3, SaintsPhil

4, Vingtor

5, Paul J

6, chockhead

7, Arniec

8, Dazzio

9, Wes

10, Giorgio N

11, AndyC

12, depressed lemur

13, nimrod54

14, Lex77

15, swat11

Very much so!! I have one of those Airlife colour album books full of F-5s! In my stash I have 3 ESCI kits one being a two seater, so I can see them being deployed to the GB pile. ..AND... I can do them as RCAF using those fine Leading Edge decals!!!

Re the F-20, not being too pedantic and finicky over all the differences, I don't think its that different. Just the single engine mainly, the rest being very much like the F-5E Tiger. But I don't have any kits of th F-20 and the only one I've got is built and in "what might have been" RCAF colours!!

But there are lots of operators and appropriate decals for the type so my support for this GB proposal is given!

I've been planning my own personal F-5 collection for longer than I care to admit to. I've got the kits and loads of decals.

I would definitely be interested. It would give me a bit of a kick start!

Ok that’s great to see that there's some enthusiastic support for this idea, have started the list. :thumbsup:

The more I think about it I’m a bit surprised that this GB hasn’t been done before.

I’m happy for the F-20 Tigershark to be included, ever though there were only three built…..no great colour scheme options there…..no Wiffy’s sorry! I just wanted to gauge other member’s opinion on it first….we all know how some people can be…. :whistle:

I did build two Airfix ones years ago, F-5E’s I think, but what happened to them I don’t know, never finished but not in the box of doom? :shrug:

With my 1/48 I have going at the moment mine would probably be a Kinetic F-5A in South Vietnamese scheme…….maybe :hmmm:

You are trying to trick me again with your good ideas. Hmmm, maybee a NF-5A in a special dutch scheme.

OK now I have done it again. I am in. Although this will be in 2016?!?!

Cheers,

Oo count me in, personally I would count the F-20 also. Being an even bigger pain in the backside, what about the X-29 or even the HESA Saeqeh?? Could be fun trying to scratch build that. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Go on then!

Wez

so count you in then??

You are trying to trick me again with your good ideas. Hmmm, maybee a NF-5A in a special dutch scheme.

OK now I have done it again. I am in. Although this will be in 2016?!?!

Cheers,

you love it Arnold, yeah I reckon it'll be early 2016ish, may have cleared my projects backlog by then!! :whistle:

Oo count me in, personally I would count the F-20 also. Being an even bigger pain in the backside, what about the X-29 or even the HESA Saeqeh?? Could be fun trying to scratch build that. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

you're added.........I had forgotten about those, I have built a X-29, nice looking aircraft, don't know the HESA Saeqeh (looks nice in photo), but just because it'd have to be scratch built I'd like to see one!

• Like 1

The F-20 was applied with several countries' national insignia for sales promotion back in the 1980s. I can remember seing photos of the F-20 with Pakistani and Philliphines markings, and there were more.

Nils

Go on then!

Wez

so count you in then??

Yes please, count me in, a far more interesting aircraft with many,many more users and colour schemes than plenty of other aircraft that have had STGB I could think of...

...and it should include the T-38, F-20 and X-29 too!

Wez

Edited by Wez

I'm another with a long term plan of building a number of F-5s and will happily take part in a similar STGB !

Regarding the eligibility of variants, I personally would happily see included both the T-38 and the F-20 as really they are the first and last of the family.

welcome aboard, I have added the F-20 and X-29 to the list approved list, but they will have to be authentic liveries!

I have to agree with Giorgio and Wes, there certainly is a great choice of operators and colour schemes available, so we'll certainly have some interesting builds!

Sure, I'd be interested. Let's see, that's P-40 GB, P-38 GB, P-51 GB, F-86 (and Sabre) GB, F-5 GB... I love Britmodeller! :winkgrin: But, I'm sorry, I really have trouble getting all fired up about a Group participation event that's being planned for two years from now! Not your fault, Rich.

bob

p.s. Guess I'll have to turn back to my F-20B project in the meantime!

Off the top of my head I have 14 different decal sets for this aircraft. The Saeqeh I will try and bodge together over the summer. I have a few PM kits sitting around I have ear-marked for this. I'm more worried about getting that gloss blue that actually building it!!

As Vingtor has pointed out, I remember seeing the F-20 in different operator schemes as well... Can't for the life of me remember where tho. I know there was a black and medium grey versions.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Off the top of my head I have 14 different decal sets for this aircraft. The Saeqeh I will try and bodge together over the summer. I have a few PM kits sitting around I have ear-marked for this. I'm more worried about getting that gloss blue that actually building it!!

As Vingtor has pointed out, I remember seeing the F-20 in different operator schemes as well... Can't for the life of me remember where tho. I know there was a black and medium grey versions.

Kind Regards

Dazz

As long as you have a photo of the F-20 in one of those schemes it'll be fine. Not sure of the point of the Saegeh having twin tails??? I can't remember ever hearing that the F-5 had any handling issues, in fact from what I can gather it was a excellent performing aircraft. Maybe they had some extra tails left over that they didn't know what to do with?

Sign me up for this as well Rich, I think I might be around in 2016. I would probably do a nice 1/72nd Swiss Air Force version.

Nice, I think we'll all be around then.....though some maybe a bit "rounder" than some! :rofl:

• Like 1

Nice, I think we'll all be around then.....though some maybe a bit "rounder" than some! :rofl:

I wasn't planning on going anywhere Rich. When I signed up for the P-47 STGB I remember you saying that the slots for next year had been filled. I just hope that I have not reached a state of senility by then otherwise I won't recollect signing up. :winkgrin:

Who are you again? :confused:

Having checked my old dias, I can confirm that F-20 82-0062 had Turkish, Philliphines and Pakistani markings applied, at Edwards back in February 1983. I will attempt to scan these with my new (but still unused) dia scanner.

Nils