A BIG Rolls Royce

I like the low sleek line of the whole car especially the roof and rear window, and since it's British it's a proper villains car now!

Instead of villains, I like to think of it as chic transportation for 'chicks' - I mean 'starlets'....

Down on the ground...

A much clearer view of the final look. Almost all elements in place except running boards and beltline. All temporary; must be blown apart for the fabricating and assembly. But this is the main 'architecture' of look and stance. Finishes and textures of paint, chrome, glass and fabric will make a huge difference and (I hope) improvement.

537M.thumb.jpg.95358aafe500065059c49171f

538M.thumb.jpg.cd197ca1c4bf656ab33712a6c

539M.thumb.jpg.4ed646061444401efad2aa004

540M.thumb.jpg.b09c1a9ed11a041360f7d62ea

541M.thumb.jpg.6cfb71ff3885a66293cf05563

• Like 2

You mean this old thing??

IMG_0064Medium_zps2d1c9b9c.jpg

No credit for this; it's a 1/10 Exoto. Collectors item now, out of production. I have it new since the '90's. A wonderful model and amazing for a diecast. Fabulous interior, engine and chassis. A pleasure to look at on my desk everyday.

LMedium_zps88fdf8e5.jpg

• Like 1

Down on the ground...

A much clearer view of the final look. Almost all elements in place except running boards and beltline. All temporary; must be blown apart for the fabricating and assembly. But this is the main 'architecture' of look and stance. Finishes and textures of paint, chrome, glass and fabric will make a huge difference and (I hope) improvement.

Very nice indeed Codger,

You can now really see the stance and lines you have been working towards, definitely a more classy look than the original Pocher design.

This is really going to be a stunner with the paint and accessories fitted.

Best regards

Keith.

You mean this old thing??

No credit for this; it's a 1/10 Exoto. Collectors item now, out of production. url]

I believe that Exoto still produce the 1:10 1966 MkII in various liveries,

but at a price of $4500, it might not be out of production but it's certainly out of my price range!

I believe that Exoto still produce the 1:10 1966 MkII in various liveries,

but at a price of $4500, it might not be out of production but it's certainly out of my price range!

The Gulf car and the #2 black car are retired.

Comparison...

Easier to see the changes this way. Here is a well-built out of box example from the Paul Koo DVD. This is what you get when you build straight from the kit parts:

STOCKMedium_zps2cbd1f5c.jpg

After months of changes:

538M_zpsexjzxvwi.jpg

• Like 2

Small potatoes...

Some things just bother me that, in the grand scheme of things, amount to very little. Who besides me would notice? This is one of those.

Seen here in an earlier mock-up is the rear fender and tire relationship. You can see that open space is visible around the tire; you can see clear through to the other side in some places. True, if the rear seat was in place, some would be blocked. But then you see the seat structure and the lower body bits as well. And admittedly when the model is on it's tires on a table, 80% of this is invisible. But I know it's there...

515M_zpsseunuugr.jpg

Here's a fender as Pocher gives it to you. Note that the rear inner portion is molded to the fender and conceals the trunk side. But the front section is open and is on a different plane than the rear:

542M_zpsmj4fah3n.jpg

So the solution is to make a new inner fender panel. It must attach to the rear portion which is part of the fender. But the forward portion must be loose to go behind the brake drum and tire so as to allow clearance for those. The answer is to cut a paper pattern all trimmed to size and clearance. After test fittings, transfer to .015 styrene. Seen here, a .062 styrene rod is added as a stiffner without taking up valuable clearance space:

543M_zpsdtximtay.jpg

Resting in place, the slightly oversized forward section does it's hiding magic and the whole wheel well becomes neater:

544M_zpsc4gz9fgy.jpg

Seen from an angle you'll never see when on display is the reason the front section must be loose. The stiffener and material thickness prevent a loose, flappy look:

545M_zps0dpuyrxr.jpg

Painted dark gray like the front inner fenders, this will virtually all disappear as so little shows around the tire. But it does give a neater finished look to the model that many will never even realize when viewing it. The 'U' shaped opening on this side is for the gas fill pipe to the tank side. Even I am amazed at how much time I spend on minutia...

546M_zpsj8qywiug.jpg

Edited by Codger
  • Like 3

It's interesting that, when you go "off script" with these cars how much one thing leads to another and another and so on. Whenever you make one change it continually leads to others and you are almost afraid to call it done and settle for what you have for fear that you might have missed something that you'll notice later on. I find myself running into the same thing on the Mercedes. However, I have made no where near the changes that you have but, it seems like the model that will never be done.

OK I'll share a little secret...

I too have joined the Bugatti club. But just a tiny bit. I have decided that T-50 tail lamps would compliment my 'flying fenders' and streamlined look. They add another horizontal element and are certainly period correct. So here they are:

PS- The trunk is neither wet sanded or polished yet so no shiny stuff yet. Tail lamps and lenses procured from Peter Doney at PocherParts.com.

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.79b7517c0b756a6b870ff

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.930b2a498c0017843856f

IMG_3148.thumb.JPG.946dfd9bcc6437c51fe82

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.e98f1c823e2d1ac03fe08

IMG_3151.thumb.JPG.20d4172edfebb132a1e7a

Thanks Keith but that's not really progress. Just a style idea that's been brewing a while. Took a few minutes, the hardest being getting the holes in the same place on each fender using a template.

I will post real progress soon because I have been working steadily since the last post. I have hinged and hung the driver's door. Which doesn't sound like much for all that time but I have gone a completely different way of hinging from Pocher's. This so the doors can be fitted perfectly in mock-up, and then the hinges removed for painting so they remain chromed. Pocher has you melt them in place - not a thing you want to do before OR after body paint.

And the door needed stupendous work, hinging, sanding, sizing to the opening and getting warps in AND out. Plus I have altered the door's height and contour for my 'look'.

More soon.

Codger/Chas:

As a Pocher Mercedes 500 K Sport Roadster alumni, I surprised myself (and my spouse) in deciding to take on the Sedanca - with grand plans of painting it in the same color scheme as my 1961 Silver Cloud (the original RR build sheet calls it custom Harland Maroon over Creamy Caramel). As I was combing through MMC's museum of "Under Construction" photos for reference, I discovered Chas that led me down the rabbit hole to finally finding Codger. I have to say - from someone who's in the same trench, but about 400 hours behind you - your details are both amazing and inspiring. Oh, and did I mention that I love your choice of colors! My engine is now mounted on the main frame with the firewall and wire wheels coming next, so I'll be looking forward to watching your body work as it progresses (and picking up some helpful tips). You need good friends living in Pocherville, and I feel like I've found one in you. Onward!

My very first post:

Paul Christy

Rancho Mirage, CA

• Like 2