A BIG Rolls Royce

10 hours ago, Endeavor said:

For what it's worth, I think the number of louvers is less important and less noticeable than the distances between the louvers and the front and rear edges of the bonnet panels.

I would guess that the width of the louvers and the spaces between them are too small so Pocher added additional louvers to make the position of the louvers on the panels and the size of the blank spaces on either end appear reasonably accurate.

A perfect statement of the real problem David.

Nothing I will do about those issues at this late stage. But I can make small adjustments and the result, I will be happy to live with.

I don't think Gurney or Nutting will be displeased with me...

A hoodwink...

Which is a very brief update due to forces beyond my control. Since the above, 8 days ago I've decided to keep the full 35 louvers but move them aft as a true Gurney car would have. So I filled the front of the panel and moved them closer to the cowl. Also added the complete beltline mouldings so this is the final look. Have started the side hinges and they are now holding the top and side panel together. The tape marks are for alignment only. Found these in the camera from few days ago but here's where work stopped. More when time permits.

1018M_zpshdhwddtt.jpg

1019MM_zpskzuqay3b.jpg

A word to my big scale-builder friends.

I have peeked at all your threads and have seen marvelous work continues to pour from you all. I sadly have had near zero time to interact with you and ask questions and compliment your skills and advice. So Jeremy, Ron, Rich, Poul, Thierry, Roy ,Sam, Wayne, Tammy, Dan, Ian - and any I may have forgotten - carry on your excellent projects and thanks to all who have commented here about mine. Nice to come back to a 'normal' home and friends...

• Like 5

The hood is coming out nicely and I can't even tell that you modified it. I do have question about the small gap at the bottom rear of the hood where it meets the cowl; is that supposed to be there? It seems a little out of place with everything else; just an observation. 

I'm glad that you have had a small amount of time to do some personal therapy work on the Rolls and have the time to read our musings. I hope things are improving for you all.

3 hours ago, Codger said:

A word to my big scale-builder friends.

I have peeked at all your threads and have seen marvelous work continues to pour from you all. I sadly have had near zero time to interact with you and ask questions and compliment your skills and advice. So Jeremy, Ron, Rich, Poul, Thierry, Roy ,Sam, Wayne, Tammy, Dan, Ian - and any I may have forgotten - carry on your excellent projects and thanks to all who have commented here about mine. Nice to come back to a 'normal' home and friends...

Glad that us bunch of misfits give you pleasure Mr C....I for one...and I'm sure I'm not alone in this....miss your presence on the forum....and hope your life takes a turn for the better real soon.

Respect

Ron

Thank you guys.

Wayne that gap shows exactly how much the body had to go aft to center the rear wheels - 5 mm. The chassis rail is the dark gray behind it. I didn't realize 2 years ago when I did it that the fender apron would need a filler there.

As an omission, that bothers me less than un-centered rear wheels would have.

But I'm not as sharp as I'd like to be...

I hope you will find the time and have the state of mind to finish this beauty soon. 

Oh you can be certain I will continue with my AR. I just do not have much time for building at the moment. 

Started a new assignment a month ago. 

That's the problem with work, it takes so much of your spare time. ;)

Take good care of yourself and your family, Chas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I did it... went through every single post of this thread. Codger I told you I would (5 months ago.. but still) :)

I will write down some thoughts / stuff later, treating a list of notes I wrote down while studying the thread. Detrimental to your modesty, it will be a lot of praise to consume. Please prepare... :D 

11 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Ha! I did it... went through every single post of this thread. Codger I told you I would (5 months ago.. but still) :)

I will write down some thoughts / stuff later, treating a list of notes I wrote down while studying the thread. Detrimental to your modesty, it will be a lot of praise to consume. Please prepare... :D 

I am deeply flattered by your diligence to follow my twisted path my friend. Surely your own projects underweigh will eclipse this.

That you have compiled a list of notes (for 5 months!) frightens me to death; you will reveal the emperor has no clothes.

But Death seems imminent anyway as I am losing this battle with influenza which has crippled me and my small family these many weeks. We pray it will shake free and give us our lives back.

Thank you Roy.

• Like 1

To start with that last subject, influenza and severe illness... I do hope it will be tempered and brought under control soon. There are few things more frustrating than ongoing inability to do anything worthwhile. I wish you the very, very best; you and your family deserve it.

The hereunder remark are meant as a complement to this post of mine. 

To my joy the second half of the topic kept to the same level of humor and self-wit as the first half did. It's a nice touch and makes for a pleasant read. 

The major critique I had in my previous post was that I feel you're too modest. One of the things you tend to think / write is that whereas you need several attempts to achieve a certain result, 'better modelers' would only need one or two attempts. In July 2015 Roy made clear that, at least to him, that isn't really case. He also uses multiple attempts, only... you don't see them. I could tell you how many attempts I usually need but first I'm not a great modeler and second the amount would just be too ridiculous to mention. I really think you are not at all an exception there. Most modelers just won't show the mistakes they made, perhaps because they don't think they are relevant or useful, perhaps because in their view the trouble to write all of it down doesn't outweigh the advantages, or perhaps because they want to keep up appearances. Talking about that, you're an example of a modeler who isn't afraid to describe his mistakes / misfortunes. I'm convinced that has a great educational value. 

It was a pleasure to see, on the 29th of December, some of your intense modesty wearing off... a little glimpse of pride was showing through. Almost immediately, it had disappeared, but I recognized it when it was there! Please show that pride more often, you're absolutely entitled to it!

A proof of modesty that I much appreciate though, is the crediting of other modelers, for example on thread pages 42 and 48 where you've duly credited David Cox. 

You often distinguish between 'the pros', 'the expert modelers' and yourself. I do think you're not far from pro quality. Honestly. Try to believe me. Of course you don't have a lathe or milling machine or stuff like that, but first of all you don't seem to have a need for them in order to make amazing stuff; second, I'm sure that if you did own those machines, you would be able to use them as a professional model maker. That is.... if you wanted that, which I doubt; because I think modeling is your passion. Professionalizing that passion is not for everyone. On a side note, when I was at Retromobile two months ago I saw a few 1/8 models made by Wespe Models. They are for sale and will set you back a few thousand dollars each. Remarkably, their finishes are, as far as I could see, of considerable inferior quality than the finish you're granting this Rolls Royce. If the people at Wespe Models are to be considered professional modelers, then your ability level can safely be determined to have passed that. 

Regarding your build... very few things I'm not too fond of -in fact, the only thing I wrote down were the use of the Bugatti taillights, although I understand it and although they look nice on the RR- but numerous things I am very fond of indeed. I think the car looks utterly spectacular. I love the two tone paint design, the paint finishes (I'll come back to that), the beautiful work on the aluminium hood (even though it won't be used), the wheels, the exquisite headlights, the major surgery... this build combines so much! 

I adore your method of using black paint to facilitate getting a dead flat smooth finish, described here. Great stuff, and just one example of the immense amount of knowhow that can be found in this very thread. Talking about painting and getting the best of finishes, I'd like to point to page 53 of this thread. To me, your posts on that page unravel any and all secrets about perfect paint finishes. Extremely useful write-up and something I'll use on future glossy paint jobs. 

Not only do you provide a lot of information about the way you work, info that I read through with care because there's a lot to learn, also you are servient enough to, when asked something, provide clear and elaborate explanation and advice (see thread page 44 for example). What more could we, readers and followers of this thread, want? It is impossible not to admire your constant strive to share your broad array of modeling-related knowledge. 

In final, I can only hope that the influenza will pass swiftly and that you will resume this splendid build. I cannot wait to see the end result. It will be a showstopper. 

• Like 5

I don't usually say much on the blog but follow it religiously.

Codger, just so you know you are the BB of RR (big brother of rolls Royce)

You boosted my desires to actually, and finally, purchase one of these great challenges ie: Pocher RR Coupe.

The effort and workmanship you have put into your museum piece is an inspiration.

I have recieved some of my MM parts and am just starting mine.

Your surely someone to look up to with the dedication to this blog and your work.

Surely wish you well and a speedy recovery.

And at the same time a big thank you for getting me into this LOL

I will start adding pictures and comments as I get going on this adventure.

Just finished the crankshaft so far so nothing really exciting yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, detailjunkie said:

Just finished the crankshaft

In my build I just finished the largest part of one of eight spark plugs, which failed to keep my thread from getting a size of already 5 pages and over a hundred photos. 

What I'm trying to say is... c'mon we are desperately waiting for that thread of yours! There's surely plenty to write about already. :) 

• Like 1

Ha ha ha yes there is always something to say about a Pocher I guess.

From what I've read so far my kit I recieved is a rare one.

Parts, so far, seem to be pretty good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Of course that's the whole challenge to one of these I guess.

Just how far will we go????

First, a thank-you to all for the health good wishes. Aside from the pain and suffering, I could not even look at my Rolls these past 13 days - and counting.

One of the results I'd hoped for early on in my project, was the generation of meaningful discussion about the methods and choices  I'd employed. Criticism and other ideas are always excellent perspective on one's work. And I always welcome it.

Roy's intensive scrutiny was never expected but most deeply appreciated. Especially a dissenting opinion on a choice of aestetic. Yes, The Bug tail light was but one in a series of 'controversial' elements I embraced for my 'look'. I thought a color sweep would bring a barrage of negativity, to say nothing of wholesale changes of stance and proportion to nearly every coach panel. All are substantial changes to the conservative look of this Pocher icon. Nothing was done on a lark - I mercilessly second-guessed myself at every turn. But if one trusts one's instincts and presses on, with a willingness to rethink when found lacking, meaningful - and satisfying - change can result.

My deepest thanks to Roy for taking the time from his extensive projects to follow and analyze my work and then to write about it here. He certainly brings an expert eye and articulate pen.

Also having our new friend find my project inspirational to his own imminent Sedanca build is a joy. Sharing and seeing another's interpretation is always exciting.

Thanks all; this three year journey has been enhanced by all of your participation.

C

• Like 6

Hi Codger!

Thanks for taking the time to post while You are going through the health problems that are blighting You at the moment.

It goes without saying that Lisa And I wish You and Your Family a speedy recovery.

Chin Up!

Keep Sticking (as soon as You can)

Cheers,  Pete

22 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Codger!

Thanks for taking the time to post while You are going through the health problems that are blighting You at the moment.

It goes without saying that Lisa And I wish You and Your Family a speedy recovery.

Chin Up!

Keep Sticking (as soon as You can)

Cheers,  Pete

Most kind of you and your Lady! I am finally turning the corner and casting a wary eye on my long-dormant Rolls. Plan to sneak up on the hood - making very soon now.

Thanks for digging us out of obscurity and sending encouragement. :worthy:

C

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 7:29 PM, Codger said:

But if one trusts one's instincts and presses on, with a willingness to rethink when found lacking, meaningful - and satisfying - change can result

Dear Codger,

Great to read about your health improving finally !

Your and our prayers - many of us here - have been answered and "your Rolls is waiting Sir!". 

by the way, what you wrote here above, to me at least, is a beautiful formulation of wisdom applicable to life and not only to our beloved occupation. So please know that your posts are greatly anticipated and so please grace these forums with more of the same my friend. 

dear Codger, winter is behind and spring is ahead !

Sam

A teeny update...

Returning from sick leave and sneaking up on the Rolls. Sam, most appreciated; yes spring is arriving and I've gotten the primer and sanding going.

Here is a comparison of the finished passenger side hood panel and the same one stock from Pocher (darker panel) showing the size and proportion differences. The red line shows how much the louver tops had to come down to match the cowl louver height. Also evident at the bottom edge is how much lower overall the hood sits due to the body channel. The front and rear edges are modified slightly and the louver section has had its angle changed from stock. This to make them visually level from the cowl forward.

1021M_zpswvvz1zj4.jpg

With the door on, the overall look is both lengthened and lowered - just as I hoped.

1020M_zpsghfvofvi.jpg

Now the major trick(s) is to get the opposite side identical and all 4 panels to play nice together.

C

• Like 10

Ditto, glad to have you back! When you show the two hood panels side by side in the picture with the reference line you can really see the difference. It's amazing just how much thought and work is required to get it correct but, as usual you persevere and get it done. Nice work and good solution!

• Like 1