A BIG Rolls Royce

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

OK, OK, i'll continue...but i'm stuck as for now, because I've a lot of uncertainties about "how to build this, how to modify that", by lack of accurate documents, or contradictory informations.

So, no progress, in building, and many hours spent in plans, thoughts, hesitations etc.

Of course, all part of an advanced build. Few of us are gluing part A to part B as instruction sheets might direct. Planning and sketching are vital to realizing the final product. We're making it up as we go and that to me is the thrill of having something unique - and hopefully beautiful.

I think the pajamas are ok for a workman's Volvo but a fine automobile like the roller needs some silk feather pillows or the like. For what it's worth I feel that the small rear window was necessary to shield your '30s starlets from prying eyes...

Edited by rjfk2002

1 hour ago, rjfk2002 said:

I think the pajamas are ok for a workman's Volvo but a fine automobile like the roller needs some silk feather pillows or the like. For what it's worth I feel that the small rear window was necessary to shield your '30s starlets from prying eyes...

I would give this a 'like' but I love it...:devil:

17 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

So how are you going to make the silk pillows Codger? :D

Ian

I have the 1/8 scale edition Bed, Bath and Beyond catalog open right now. B)

Hey - doll house suppliers may carry those!

Here I go again...

I have taken a pretty regular beating around here (especially from a certain California engineer) for my inability to get anything 'right' the first time - leading to multiple attempts at satisfactory. This of course is certainly deserved. So here's another example.

Having completely assembled one whole door panel with windows, I began the second. But I noticed something different apparently brought on by age. As described much earlier in this story, all the wood veneer trim on the car is not wood (making purists and wood crafters cringe and become ill) but photographic paper with the image of a veneer I chose. After adorning the dash and then the doors and rear seat support, I thought it done so I applied clear acrylic gloss to the portion on the doors, first. However just now I see that certain portions had turned the fiery burl more a dark brown walnut - a major change from the uncoated areas. WARNING: The bright lighting makes it all appear very orangy; there are very obvious dark areas of burl in natural light. This shot shows the contrast:

925M_zpsmoki1puj.jpg

So in my typical fashion, I weighed the risks and went ahead anyway stripping the previous application of paper wood. Hell it's only time and nerve-wracking stress plus the ability to ruin previously finished bits, right? What could possibly go wrong as they say.

Here is the result, better in every way; neater smoother and better fastened with d/s tape and CA gel. And NO clear coat this time; the trick is glossier photographic paper. Looks like polished wood in the cabin but not lollipop lacquer gloss. Peeking out below is the newly completed license plate and tail light array. More on that soon.

927M_zpsrvqfv5hp.jpg

926M_zpsv4bl0jye.jpg

928M_zpscbdm09kx.jpg

Here's an earlier photo of all the car's colors and the match is now much better among all the wood bits. I sleep better now...Fire away Mr Engineer...:suicide:

929M_zpszqjvkayc.jpg

• Like 7

Now you're just showing off! Maybe you should just make it your SOP, make it all two or three times and then pick the best of the lot. The first time we make anything it's a bit of crapshoot and it's a learning experience. When you have to do it again you already know what works and what doesn't so, it always seems to come out better than before.

• Like 1

>adopts mock Cockney accent

That's right proppa that is, guv'. Fair reeks 'o class. And the winnders are see fru'n everyfink.

/> stops all the faffing abart.

Every time I visit this thread I am more amazed. Bravo sir, bravo!

>raises monocle in salute

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I don't think anyone else would have noticed, but as you say, the redone bits are better! You could sell this one to RR the quality is so high....

Ian

Thanks Ian but I think they'd shudder at a chopped and channeled alumnus...:nono:

Learning...

I've completed the glass installation by fitting the passenger door frames and glass. All went well if not a bit nervously. The miracle is that it fits the cowl windshield frame in the proper place with the door shut, matches the driver side and has no flaws in it. Will further press my luck getting the upholstery panel onto the inside...

930M_zpsmuvmqgba.jpg

931M_zpsbodpwyhr.jpg

932M_zpsan3kb26y.jpg

• Like 4

Mr C, this is loooking really wonderful. 

I noticed on the first picture of the last post a somewhat wobbly underside of the door. Might be the light or is it because the innards of the door are missing?

My God that's just beautiful.  The instrument panel and "wood" dash are just gorgeous, and as mentioned before, the little vanity window in the back will keep the cameras and paparazzi from viewing the various supermodels that will undoubtedly be traipsing around the cabin on those cold, rainy nights....;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

Mr C, this is loooking really wonderful. 

I noticed on the first picture of the last post a somewhat wobbly underside of the door. Might be the light or is it because the innards of the door are missing?

Yes Poul it appears to be so. When I built the door skin, the bottom brace is bent to match the body curve beneath it. Then CA'd and epoxied to the bottom edge of the door skin, thereby forming it. It's one of those 'you-only-get-one-chance' things because you must adhere the brace to the skin to know if it's right. Since I made 5 whole doors to get these 2 good ones, I will live with it. Also the fit and paint on this one is perfect so it will remain. I know there are far more skilled 1/8 scale coachbuilders than I. More noticeable in photos than in person, I'm relying on the old 'hand made' excuse...:hanging:

Life (finally) imitates art...

933M_zpsc9j7ntqd.jpg

The ancient sketch on the wall has finally spawned it's metal and plastic image. It kept me going through the rough spots...

For some time now I have terrorized myself with the idea that adding the big chunks was increasing the tonnage of my svelte creation. This despite stainless steel springs. Gravity affects busty women and Pochers with plastic springs the same saggy way. After several sleepless nights (dumb huh?) I decided that the remedy used in the rear suspension over a year ago, had to work in the front. So using .250 square styrene cut to exact length, I filled the distance between the upper spring pad between the U-Bolts and the lower channel of the chassis above it. I left them white so I could see but as seen here they are hardly visible, especially when the fenders go on. Presto, solid suspension all around and no need for stands and the like. Besides, who will know besides us??

934M_zpsx9s3khqd.jpg

It's been a long time on the work stands so this little dress rehearsal was a refresher of where this is going and for me, incentive to press on.

935M_zpsfuinqhom.jpg

936M_zpsyikb15ve.jpg

937M_zpskvvfnpxq.jpg

• Like 8

More dress-up...

I cannot overemphasize how pleased I am to have the work of David Cox of Detailed Model Cars on my Rolls. Seen here and out of storage are the right front wing (see Brits? I'm learning !) and the running board. David's brass running board strips dressed in chrome look far better in person than in these pictures. They compliment his custom made landau irons perfectly. I pressed my luck with the windshield, all window frames and the luggage rack. Accessories from Model Motorcars like handles and lights are also substantial improvements over the Pocher kit parts.

I am completely pleased I am that I committed to the hard road to have real chrome throughout the car. I have used all the spray-on substitutes for brightwork in the past and there's simply nothing more 'real' as a feature on classics than chrome. I urge any of you contemplating it to commit to it. You won't regret the results.

939_zpsd3egjgb0.jpg

938M_zpszjlimqg5.jpg

• Like 4

Hmmmm......using 'Brit' speak now Mr C....where will it end one asks!

OK...enough of that....down to the serious business....let's see....where to begin......

Colours....superb

Innovations....masterful

Technique.....simply a pleasure to behold

Presentation....top notch (Brit speak)

Skill levels.....off the chart

All in all....simply sublime my man.....

Regards and respect

Ron

• Like 3