A BIG Rolls Royce

43 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

Looks good! I don't recall but, did you make a brass/chrome frame for around the rear window?

Thanks to all but NO dribbling!

The front windshield's chrome frame is in the box but I haven't made the rear one yet. Coming up soon as is the door glass and frames and then the doors!

Ooops - forgot the dash too soon...

2 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

WOW!!!!!  :worthy: "_____________" , and if You know Anybody that knows Me, that is as rare as Rocking Horse doo-doo.........

Great job Mr. C, keep 'Em comin!

Cheers,  Pete

I don't but I like your (avatar) crank...:lol:

Never satisfied...

I have well proven that I can never get anything 'right' the first time around. To that end, dissatisfaction at the tack strip on the roof caused me to add hours to this saga by trying new techniques to make a more accurate one - or at least more representative. 

Here is the result; narrower - 3mm compared to 4.5 and thinner, one layer instead of two. Compare to GYD-26 again. Also fettled a retainer strap for the roof flap holder thingie...

895M_zpsmfmsij3k.jpg

896M_zpsb3q3axgu.jpg

897M_zpsdt0ezy7p.jpg

898M_zpsohbwslyh.jpg

870M_zps2ndhxcj0.jpg

52 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

Have to say - much nicer...

A superb looking roof.

Roy.

Now I'm going to yell at you. You dear man...

If something I do looks like rubbish, I plead for feedback, especially from those whose work I learn from. You are such a modeler. Tell me! For 2+years I have begged for constructive  dissent and input. Discussion is why I'm here - not to parade my stuff around. I'm a big (and very old) boy and can process well-meaning advice from mockery.

Your work has been a gold mine of learning (because you were a past-life teacher?) and criticism is another form of learning.

Don't let me make a fool of myself...As Larry Talbot once said 'Lock me in my room!!'...:frantic:

• Like 2

Yes, really much nicer and very realistic !

Who has said that perfection is never achieved ?

I love this propensity to never be totally happy with his work, and I let things rest to the present, waiting for a better idea, and then enhance his work, and so on.

You're building a masterpiece, Museum top quality, Chas ...love all your inspiring work :)

Hello Mr C.

I was 'ok' with your first 'roof strip' but I agree with you that the thinner and narrower one looks far better.

Just a thought though...

What about a chrome metal strip, the same width/shape etc as your new fabric one?

It might look nice with all the other chrome work, and the landau bars - once fitted...

You could test it out for visual effect, using a piece of polished thick solder wire.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Gentleman. I give you the work of Cox and Meit. Alas, I am not they. Knowing my limitations, I opted for the matching fabric as the prototype I showed you and many others I studied. In fact, I found no prototypes with chrome tack strips among Gurney cars.

But for Marvin and Dave, having done 30 or so of these over the years, this is a mere parlor trick. Dave is a master a cutting and filing ultra thin strips and linkages on all his cars. Marvin at handling and fitting gaberdine fabric (David prefers leather) .This being my first and only, I let discretion be the better part.

Note that even for them, it is very difficult to cover and hide the needed darts at the compound corners of the roof. But a look at the MMC custom-built gallery will show you several Sedancas beautifully done for customers with this feature.

rear3 CustomM_zpsmizupwef.jpg

Edited by Codger

Righty ho - lets make you work even harder...

The polished metal in the pics you posted looks great. No denying it.

You could actually replicate it with thicker solder wire, polished and the clear coated so it doesn't tarnish.

Then, stick in place with mega-thin double sided tape.

When it's EXACTLY as you want it, drip feed C/A on the end of a craft knife blade very thinly in a few strategic points so it doesn't bleed through your superb fabric.

Then, leave it alone...

Roy (The trouble-maker)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

we are talking of framing the small rear window opening in metal as well ... right?  :oops:

Right. We're not quite done back there yet and it will be a while until it's back from chroming.

1 hour ago, silver911 said:

So...while your waiting....you could have another go at the roof then..........:D

only joking mate....love it as is...first class workmanship.

GRRRRrrrrrrrrh !

I may make it a roadster !!!!!!  :blink::frantic: