A BIG Rolls Royce

Am I dreaming, or ,is the cream of the doors more yellow than the cream on the body, that seems more pink-cream....? a reflection, perhaps ?

However, I cannot wait to see your RR achieved....

You made an incredible work and a very inventiive build...my hats off to you :worthy:

Edited by CrazyCrank
mistaken words

12 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Am I dreaming, or ,is the cream of the doors more yellow than the cream on the body, that seems more pink-cream....? a reflect, perhaps ?

However, I cannot wait to see your RR achieved....

You made an incredible work and a very inventiive build...my hats off to you :worthy:

No my friend, they are the same. Took pains to get them right. Reflections play havoc as doors are highly polished clear and the body is not. Another misleading color is the red on the doors in pic #4 which looks like flat brown almost. Other views show it's the same color red.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Edited by Codger

It's really difficult to gauge colours from pictures on a monitor screen but I'm tending to say the same.

If it was only in one pic, I'd assume reflection, light angle etc but the slight colour difference does appear in several of the pics.

However - cameras are notorious at making things appear different to how 'proper' eyeballs see it.

Very probably (and knowing Mr C's standards) it's all the same colour and nothing more than the very common camera 'obscura' effect.

(BTW - I just filched that term to fit what I'm on about, so don't try Googling it to see if I'm correct...:P)

Oh - forgot to add - blinkin' awesome work.

Roy.

• Like 1

On my Mac it looks identical in tone and color.  The reflection creates strong contrasts but there is no constant on all the pictures.

Therefore my 'dear Watson' this phenomenon is due to reflection.

One can see similar tone variations on 1:1 when the car is very well polished.

Amazing work. part of me says please don't hurry to finish this masterpiece and another part begs to see the four wheels on and bonnet ...

My favorite part is the engine, its incredible beauty and realism at this scale.

forget the debate tonight, just vote for Codger

Edited by sharknose156

The difference you gents are noting is the difference between the clear coated door panel and the fresh coach paint, not yet cleared. In both the cream and the red. As I've noted earlier, part of the reason I chose the Testors Wet Look Clear is that it actually makes the colors more vibrant. It somehow imparts a richness to the colors but doesn't actually change them. It does not yellow the colors. either. The red, after clear becomes deeper - almost like red wine shines through a glass. The cream becomes 'stronger' - I don't know how else to phrase it but I love it. Adds character.

The true color situation will become apparent when shot in outdoor light. But that's a ways off just now...

Hi Roy!

Just a quick hello and well done on a great paint job!

It has also made a decision for Me about whether or not to paint the wire wheels on My K73 (when I get round to it!!),I think it's a yes!

BTW, did You do any special preparation on the wheels before painting?

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

Pete, if you've got the right guy, thanks for the compliment. But Roy is the better-looking, more talented guy that does great paint jobs - not me. I'm just the cranky old Codger...:blink:

To prep the wheels for paint, I wiped the completed wheel (and all the spokes) with swabs of lacquer thinner to get hand oils off. Then lightly primed, the shot the color. The key is 'lightly' - you just want color coverage.

Hi Mr. Codger!

Sorry about the mix -up with the names,I had a 'early' senior moment!:huh:

I think it's because You are both wonderful craftsmen it's easy to get mixed up (:worthy:)

Thanks for the prep tip for the wheels!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,     Phil..............sorry!......Pete!     :blink:

Clearing things up...

Well finally got the good spraying weather and applied three coats of clear. Now let it air out for a day or two before color sand and polish. Just tacked on a few bits to give myself incentive. Door, fender, wheel, seat and running board just placed not fastened.

850M_zpsmjg9o2u0.jpg

851M_zps212n4ihl.jpg

852M_zps511rjnkb.jpg

853M_zpsrq7lztan.jpg

Edited by Codger
  • Like 2

Thank you all gents.

Keith, the four hood panels are all that remain to be painted. They will likely require surgery to get the louvers aligned with the cowl louvers, an important part of the Gurney Nutting 'look'. Plus I have to continue the belt coachline forward on them.

Rich, the roof covering remains to be sorted. It may be a fabric that's similar to the body red or black leather. Lot of headscratching about that aspect...

23 hours ago, Codger said:

Sorry; dunno why the first picture is distorted. Thank God it's not the model!

Interesting effect really.

Imagine if this were an art class and someone drew such a perspective !! 

Reality defies fiction... as usual.

On 27/09/2016 at 4:04 AM, Codger said:

Go ahead gang, pass judgement - I'm a big boy...

That unfendered rear wheel puts me in mind of a 50s street rod or an early salts flats racer. I'm wondering how things would go if you lost the RR boat anchor engine and stuck a Allison V-1710 or a Griffon up front instead... Just wondering. :D

Looks amazingly good, mate. As has been said, why you showing a real car on a modelling forum? :)

Re the distortion in the photo - wide angle lenses are noted for that very effect, and are often used in just that way to emphasise certain aspects of the subject.

9 minutes ago, Codger said:

Wonder no more - Dave Cox shows you how he does it:

http://www.detailedmodelcars.com/new-page-24.htm

Oh, I DO like that... but then I've always had a thing for those madcap classic grand prix racers and land speed record cars from the 20s. Babs, Zborowski's Chittys, Blue Bird, Mephistofele, the Sunbeams, Bentleys and Napiers...

Your Roller is really starting to come into its own now! The paint really enhances all the scratch building that you've done; I also think that the "Bugatti" paint styling on the side only adds to the look that you're going for. BTW, thanks for the link to David's Allison powered Rolls. I think that I've seen it before but, I forgot about it and it's a great reminder of just how much can be done with these Pochers as a starting platform. As always, great work my friend!

• Like 3

A small review...

Working on a long-term project, it's easier to get bogged down in the minutia of building part by part, small areas at a time. I've learned you must always keep your overall idea in mind as you go. Because when complete, one views the entire entity and its overall presentation far more than the clevises (for example) in the linkages or the drips from the oil pan.

Some dear Pocher friends have urged me to post a 'how we got here'  from an out of box assembly in the beginning. These are photos seen earlier in the thread in various places. But I'm sure few of you have had the stamina (or desire) to have read the entire saga. 

I simply offer these in the hopes that the few of you who build Pochers gain confidence that you can modify and add your ideas to a stock build. There are two Alfas currently under construction which are receiving major surgery to make them far more correct than the Pocher kit. And Roy will hopefully demonstrate surgical techniques and much scratch building to build his boat-tailed Benz.

The first photo shows the completion of the entire chassis and drivetrain. Many Model Motorcars parts here including tires and steel spring sets. Photo is just over  two years ago:

854M_zps2duffinx.jpg

The next shows the main modification that allowed all the others; lowering the firewall on the chassis. There were .250 spacers in the circled area which when removed, lowers the firewall and the body's cowl as well. This gives the needed level line of the top of the hood to radiator. Remember, Gurney Nutting cars were my inspiration for all the stock kit changes.

855M_zpsblvxwo9q.jpg

Here are a fair amount of the changes from this early mock-up seen here. This what you get when you build it out of box. Of note; the incorrect ride height, sectioned and lowered trunk, wedge cut roof chop, removed door posts (later to be scrapped completely and scratch-built doors added), channeled and lowered body and firewall, trimmed lower body and rotated rear fender and chopped windshield. The suspension was shimmed to lower the chassis on the wheels. These changes forced many other smaller changes like a new, lower headliner and scratch built seats. Non-stock parts fabricated include the chromed windshield and side window frames.

856M_zpst2slmmkk.jpg

Finally a rendering of where we're at today. This is a photo of the actual model with parts in place but complete coloration done in a paint program. The color sweep is shown on the hood side and the ride height, cut roof and trunk are plainly different from stock photo above it. Much closer in concept to the Gurney bodies I have studied extensively than Pocher offered.

857M_zpskynvkdea.jpg

I just hope any viewers are encouraged to make a plan for a modified car according to your desires. And yes, an Allison-engine Rolls would be outrageous but I had gotten far along before I learned that such things were possible. Oh well, got to see this through to the bitter end...:rolleyes:

• Like 4