A BIG Rolls Royce

The next phase...

Having sorted the headliner the big step of body paint is now under weigh. Holes were drilled for the running boards and spotlight and everything sanded to 600. Then masking of the upper (red) area. Three coats of white Mr Surfacer 1000 left a very nice and smooth base. Then these three coats of Krylon Sweet Cream. It layed down surprisingly well with nearly no peel. Tomorrow, weather permitting, another stronger coat of cream to provide depth of color and complete coverage of the door sills. Then unmasking and curing for about a week before fine grit color sanding.

840M_zpsrt30ifpb.jpg

839M_zps1hdg5ppl.jpg

838M_zps1onah0cm.jpg

• Like 3

Ohhhh, this is going to be beautiful!  Thanks for this great bit of documentation, and for always encouraging others on other threads when the going gets tough!  You sir, are a role model mentor that I will definitely count on when I begin my Lambo Aventador very soon!  

Chas...

I don't often comment here, as you know the regard I have for your work, you, and your good lady.

A master on the forum we should all appreciate, and not take for granted.

I feel as if this has become (for you) a 1:1 build, but in miniature.

You have dedicated time to this we should all aspire to.

Stunning. End of.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

23 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

Chas...

I don't often comment here, as you know the regard I have for your work, you, and your good lady.

A master on the forum we should all appreciate, and not take for granted.

I feel as if this has become (for you) a 1:1 build, but in miniature.

You have dedicated time to this we should all aspire to.

Stunning. End of.

Roy.

Amazingly gracious of you Roy, but NOT in the 'master' ranking. By far, you and some others occupy that category. I do appreciate the '1:1' comment however and it actually made me realize that in fact, I have been in that mode. I did the same 'cost no object, no problem too difficult to try to solve' when building the Cobra for near three decades.

For sure I hope I don't drag this to three decades - because I won't make that timeframe myself!

• Like 2

Codger what spray gun are you using please ?

any special additional recipe for this mirror like quality of paint ?

( aside from the usual patience, using quality lacquers and methodical approach, fine wet sanding layers etc. ?)

2 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Codger what spray gun are you using please ?

any special additional recipe for this mirror like quality of paint ?

( aside from the usual patience, using quality lacquers and methodical approach, fine wet sanding layers etc. ?)

Embarrassed to say I'm using spray cans my friend- not a gun.  What has seemed to work best goes like this.

Primer sanded to 600 grit. Barrier of Future over any filler spots. All sanding wet. Color coats go on - generally 2 light and one medium coat with adequate out-gas time in about 110 F heat. Let sit for 2 - 3 days then sand back the color (800 / 1200 / 2400) to get it dull and flat (meaning smooth). I build paint like that so as not to sand through to primer. Then either one or two coats again of color which is now much smoother than prior. Final sanding of color with 1200 / 2400 / 3600. I do this with both the red and the cream.

I am using Testors Wet Look Clear but this I decant and airbrush on. Three medium coats - I want some 'meat' on the surface so I can aggressively polish. Lays down very nicely and becomes a good hard surface when dry (not long). It richens both colors and makes them vibrant.

Finally I polish with 4000 / 6000 / 8000 grits but the hand-rubbed look comes with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Micro-Mesh fine white polish and then Menzerna carnuba wax.

Phew! Exhausted just explaining it ! :blink:

• Like 3

Dear Codger thank you ever so much this detailed explanation. Much obliged. i would have never thought this is resulting from a spray can... amazing. 

Roy also uses spray cans... shames me all this.  But all your steps and technique are very precise and for good reason. Will try to emulate and practice.

thanks a mil. :worthy:

I've used spray cans for years now, even on tiny parts.

I only brush anything if it's little details.

You can get superb results from rattle cans. (As Mr C shows here) All it takes is practice.

Far less fiddling about and cleaning up than an air brush, and I can change the colours I'm spraying in seconds - put one can down, pick another one up.

Great work Mr C.

Roy.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that, I too, use spray cans a lot myself. For just the reasons Roy has pointed out, it's easy and there is no clean up. I painted the Mercedes body with spray cans and some of the most common colors on the engine, chassis and frame. The only time that I used the airbrush is with the Alclad colors or a color that I didn't have in a can. With the size of the Pochers or in Roy's his 1/8 scratch building it just lends itself to using spray cans due to the size and volume of paint needed.

• Like 1

I used too spray cans to prime chassis,  engine and big parts,  and  paint chassis of my Bugatti. 

I've planed to do the same to prime the body parts. 

To paint them later,  I hesitate between painting them by myself with spray cans,  if can find the colors I want,  or entrust a bodywork painter to to this job,  in order to get a perfect and durable result. 

Edited by CrazyCrank

14 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger thank you ever so much this detailed explanation. Much obliged. i would have never thought this is resulting from a spray can... amazing. 

Roy also uses spray cans... shames me all this.  But all your steps and technique are very precise and for good reason. Will try to emulate and practice.

thanks a mil. :worthy:

Sam, I want to stress that these techniques work with these specific  paints and materials. Other brands of lacquer, enamel or acrylic may require differing procedures. I've found that the parts will tell you what they want. You just need the experience to adjust techniques as required.

Turning the corner...

Body in color at last. Both colors are in raw paint, not color sanded or polished yet. Only doors and trunk are in final finish and polish state. Much handling of the main coach yet to come before finishing steps.

Seen here, some bits are just hung on for a look-see, The wheel, chromed windshield frame and door are just placed and the running board is clipped from below. I can now finally see what my vision turned out. The lowness of the roof compared to stock Pocher is readily apparent. Contributing to the streamlined look are the Bugatti color sweep, sectioned, sloped and lowered trunk and the ~7mm trimmed rocker panel under the doors. The roof covering fabric is seen in the foreground for color compatibility. The lowered, streamlined effect is heightened when the fenders are attached but they're protected in storage for now as they too are in final polished state.

So here you have it my friends - love it or hate it but I don't think many will yawn. For many this is sacrilege to afflict to a stately RR. But I did get closer to my vision than I expected. Rolls and Royce may be spinning in their graves but maybe George Barris is not. In fact he may think I didn't go far enough.

Go ahead gang, pass judgement - I'm a big boy...

842M_zpsrlhsh3ys.jpg

843M_zpssltmuj8o.jpg

844M_zpsdd1fm1uj.jpg

845M_zpscudnu5dw.jpg

846M_zpszchj8gbm.jpg

847M_zps5qhgedxe.jpg

848M_zpspymy57hj.jpg

849M_zpstzwfozsg.jpg

• Like 6

You really get a sense of how low everything is from the more head on shot and see the windshield. With the rear fenders on and the Bugatti tail lights it should accentuate the lower look even more. There are so many subtle elements that are bringing this together nicely!!