A BIG Rolls Royce

Good tip on the part duplication or even if you're only making just one. I've made numerous lists and done much the same for my Mercedes even, keeping a list of paint colors and primers used on every painted part. You never know if you may need to fix something and these builds take so long that you would forget what color or how you made something on the engine over a year ago if it got damaged during final assembly.

A fine bit of engineering on scratch building the doors! Makes me want to hurry up and finish my upgraded garage work shop so I can get back to finishing the Merc.

• Like 1

Some amazing work going on with this monster.

Mr C - I know I've said it before, but why on earth don't you have a go at scratching a model - especially as there's now a source for the 1/8 Cobra body and parts.

It would be a breeze for you.

Roy.

Some amazing work going on with this monster.

Mr C - I know I've said it before, but why on earth don't you have a go at scratching a model - especially as there's now a source for the 1/8 Cobra body and parts.

It would be a breeze for you.

Roy.

Thank you Roy, I have seen your thread on the 1/8 shells and carefully studied the Cobra pix that Christian has put up.

First off - NOTHING is a breeze for me; hence this two+ year soap opera I'm in. Unlike yourself, I have proven that I am NOT a prolific modeler. Along the way, I've discovered I'm in love with this old crock I'm building and the task has evolved into perfecting every aspect of it I can, rather than 'building a Pocher' on the way to my next model.

You're concerns about the thinness of the Cobra shell echo mine. I've hypothesized about adding fine glass cloth and resin inside the surfaces, which would work but add (just like this RR) hours and weeks (for me) to the build. The hood opening was also a good pick by Christian as needing attention; fixable but labor-intensive. At the cost of the basic bones of the model, hours and expenses climb considerably. I'm laughing as I write that because I've considered selling a few grandkids to keep this Rolls going.

Although scratch building a transmission, diff, interior, chassis and suspension is reasonable, (and I certainly have the reference) it would be wise to source the 427 engine from Michael Phillip. It is superb (I had input some reference into it) but adds to a very expensive kit.

There are minor quibbles with details vs 1:1 and those are also fixable. But I just want to slog along with this until I get it 'right'.

:banghead:

Soap opera? not at all.

You mention that you are in love with this old crock. Probably you are afraid of parting from it. Therefore you are finding new tasks all the time. Lol

Soap opera? not at all.

You mention that you are in love with this old crock. Probably you are afraid of parting from it. Therefore you are finding new tasks all the time. Lol

Partially true. But mostly, once I've done something, I realize I could have done it better. So a lot of re-doing or making new continuously. Like these doors...

I know I give the impression of churning out big cars - two or three a year.

It doesn't alter the fact I love what I'm doing, and at the time (given 'time constraints') I do the best I can and frequently alter, change, update and add.

I can really understand a model that is in a way, a 'life's work'.

Who cares if you spend (to some) forever on a model.

At the end of the day it's a hobby.

Whether you spend your time making half a dozen 1/24 models per year, or one model that takes 5 years, in a way it's all the same.

Enjoy it and get this masterpiece on the road for all of us to enjoy.

Roy.

• Like 1

Moving along...

It may look just like what you've been suffering through with the passenger door.....

TBH I'd have been a lot more worried if you hadn't built another one! :winkgrin:

Pleasure to watch.....At any pace. :coolio:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work all round Codg,you spoke to me about paint on a Bugatti a couple of years ago remember?.....

Thanks my friend, glad you like it. Heavily involved in getting second door finished right now.

Arni, I forgot breakfast this morning so forgive me but I can't recall. :chair: However I'd love to see your Bugatti and so would the rest of the Pocher Nuts on here.

Jump in as time permits.

C

Small but important...

Another long-dreaded task out of the way. After the ordeal (for me) of making the brass side window frames months ago, I finally got them polished. This is required for chrome plating. Since paint hides nothing, chrome hides even less. So the tedious work of sanding file marks and scratches out of the 3/32 square brass channel . Not perfect but the best I could do.

When they come back, the Lexan 'glass' will be cut and installed and the door inner and outer panels joined for final time. The various notches and flat strips are for clearance of the latch mechanism and to stabilize the fragile corner solder joins.

817M_zps3b53fsoq.jpg

818M_zpsuhe3qiog.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty shiny stuff there! So, just how many hours did you spend on the sanding, buffing and polishing those four pieces?

C'mon now! You know....forever. :mental:

You're as bad as me, Mr. 'Five Paint Jobs'....... :nono:

Really nice work MrC.

The chrome is going to work very nicely with the grey leather, wood and paint choices.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together.

Do you have your chrome work done by MMC or have you got another source?

Best Regards

Keith.

While waiting...

Anxious to see the chrome so finally finished the second inner door panel. If I guessed right, these will mate to the outer skins with the frames and glass sandwiched between at just the right angle to meet the cowl. Knowing me, that's a slim chance...

819M_zpspqn5mgpl.jpg

• Like 3