A BIG Rolls Royce

19 hours ago, detailjunkie said:

Would love to have some input from you Codger and anyone on this site.

When I first stated reading this you sound very much like myself.

I even finished off the pistons so they look used and carboned up.

Yes I know you don't see them but I know they're there. Lol

How do I start a build thread and maybe get pictures out there?

To start a thread, at the top right of the 'Work in Progress' page is a black button reading, 'Start New Topic'. Click and you're in business. For photos, you first need a host like Flickr or Postimage. 

Go to the FAQ section of the Brit site home and there are two threads describing how to upload and it's very easy.

• 4 weeks later...

Not done quite yet...

Never one to leave well enough alone, I set off on a much smaller journey to make a scenic backdrop to take outdoor-light photos of the now-dormant Rolls. The purpose is not to overwhelm the model but provide a plausible setting to fool the eye when photographed. (And block out the real, out of scale backgrounds). Kiddies would like to do this in kindergarten.  A true arts and crafts project but in the modeling vein. :huh:

A vintage garage in the old section of town caught my eye so I photoed it. Seen here is an actual photo but altered a bit to stretch it (in scale) for the Rolls.

IMG_4416m_altered.jpg

The backdrop is made entirely of the following materials; foamboard, plastic, acetate, BMF, balsa, paper and various glues. Here the Rolls was parked for a look at scale and fit, early in the cut-out phase:

IMG_6665.jpg

Early construction. Being 5' wide and over 2' high the foam requires much stiffening structure The Rolls stretches from the inboard edges of the side windows. The windows and doors are true size in 1/8 scale. Being a cinder block structure, I scribed the blocks and bricks in correct scale size. I took some liberties for simplification and added some gingerbread like open windows on one side and signs. Also to have some fun :fool::

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

Where it sits now with still more details and some patina to be added. Much testing and monkey-fitting going on. Fun but I want to finish before the cool weather and get quality outdoor portraits. More a bit later on.... :P

IMG_6770.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great and very realistic! I see someone is developing a new talent for building dioramas. You should go ahead and make a complete one to display the Rolls in and among; if you have the space. I think it would really add to your viewing pleasure! 

:D  Thank you folks!

Wayne, if I follow your advice and make a complete one, it better be big enough to fit me inside it. Because I will not be allowed to live in this house anymore. :whip:

I'm lucky I got away with the display case atop the dining room server...:chair:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Codger said:

:D  Thank you folks!

Wayne, if I follow your advice and make a complete one, it better be big enough to fit me inside it. Because I will not be allowed to live in this house anymore. :whip:

I'm lucky I got away with the display case atop the dining room server...:chair:

Jesus!....I hate to think how big the backdrop for the Ducati would have to be :drunk:

Great realism and atmosphere Mr C

Respect

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in an earlier post i would have to now wait for the glamour shots of this wonderful model.

Well now we are there!!!  Excellent work.

Now Codger you can start to compete with Michael Paul Smith and his Elgin Park series . You have similar talents.

I hope Harry is having a peek.

Cheers Les

54 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

Nice work!! It sure looks like the real deal with your garage frontage! You'd be hard pressed to tell that, it's a model or even that, the garage front isn't a real one. Great camera position on the photos too.

Thank you Wayne. I expect to be outdone by a LeMans pit stall with a black F-40 in it...:weep:

48 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Mr Codger, you could pass that off as real anyday! A fitting tribute to your hard work. Do you have any local model shows you could take the Rolls to?

Thank you too Mr B. The short answer is no. But the long answer is I wouldn't anyway. I'm just not a 'show' guy. I never 'showed' the Cobra either - mostly because it attracted attention whether I wanted it or not.

:fraidnot:  :bobby:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ginger said:

As I said in an earlier post i would have to now wait for the glamour shots of this wonderful model.

Well now we are there!!!  Excellent work.

Now Codger you can start to compete with Michael Paul Smith and his Elgin Park series . You have similar talents.

I hope Harry is having a peek.

Cheers Les

Too kind Les, but alas, I'm not in the 'Genius' class that Mr Smith is.

And yes, I'm hoping Harry will have a word for me about it if we meet again. After all, it does not have an outside rear view mirror...:angel:

5 hours ago, silver911 said:

That is a totally 'real' scene!

What a glorious depiction of a classic car, sat in all it's splendour, awaiting it's new owner.

Wow!

Respect 

Ron

-And that is due entirely to your methods and kindness. Thanks to all - very glad you're enjoying...:D

Had I seen this in ANY car magazine, I would NOT have been able to determine or even suspect a smaller scale!  Utterly fantastic- and you know, one reason is that your Rolls is not showroom quality, it looks driven!!!  The little patinas and weathering you have expertly placed on the undercarriage, and particularly the engine, make it seem so realistic!  Bravo sir- a masterpiece!!!

Cheers!

Darin

Edited by Dr. Fiat
forgot word
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A permanent home...

The absolute last bit of the project is now complete.  :yahoo: A glass case for protection and easy maintenance. Glass is preferable for easy cleaning and clarity; plexi will show rag or towel scratches immediately. And things this big collect a lot of visible dust and handprints. As well as curious pets and mischievous children...:devil:

The previous plexi cover was temporary until the model was cleared off the bench(es) and room was available. The plexi came in 5/16" thickness, way too thick and heavy. This time I sourced 3/16" clear glass. Assembly was with pure, clear silicone and much fussing to get square and clean edges. You will use many razor blades, scalpel blades, mineral spirits and all your patience but for me, it's all worth it.

There are currently many museum-quality models being built here just now. I encourage all of you builders, especially of larger scales, to make your own, exact sized, custom case. A bespoke case adds a certain presence as well as protection to your hard work.

C

IMG_6896_M1.jpg

• Like 6