A BIG Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Mr Codger!

Is flatting paint noisy?........... :D

Only if The Spouse comes home and finds you sanding in the sink.:chair:

Thank you for the good wishes...

Paint progress...

I appreciate that some of you find value in my methods enough to save them, but I'd like to stress that this is what works for me. There are 100 ways to skin this cat and there are very excellent painters all over this forum so please do not consider this the 'last word' in paint methods. A good deal of paint success comes from 'feel' - another word for experience. The real learning process for me was three decades ago on my 1:1 Cobra.

A successful tip from way back in the thread when I painted the main body and later, the doors, is using tin foil for large surface masking. Poul has used this method on his Alfa with great success. I like to use as little masking tape as possible on adjacent painted surfaces. I never cover the whole surface in tape. Tin foil (without holes in it!) is an absolute barrier and the hottest lacquers will not soak through . Easy to handle and fold in place too. Here the side panels are covered so the coachline can get its red coat. I use the 2mm Tamiya for a sharp edge and a minimal amount of tape contact. Then Tammy yellow tape at the very top edge of the foil and to overlap the 2mm tape. The only tape adhered to the panel is the 2mm and the large section is completely free. Note that the foil easily folds around the sides and bottom of the part eliminating the need to tape it down.

1038M_zpsodxovhts.jpg

Here the hood tops have received their first round of color coats and have been wet color sanded with the grits written on the towel. Baby-bottom smooth and any imperfections gone. Notice that at only 2400 grit final, the reflections are becoming distinct. If you continued up to 12.000, you'd have a mirror glass finish. But for me, A wet coat or two more of red, repeat the sanding, then it's time for clear.

1039M_zps146kucxl.jpg

I'll repeat a wacky tip I mentioned earlier about drying the paint - for those who have such a set-up. I paint on warm and as humidity-free days as are available, in my garage. I keep my sedan parked in the driveway and on 70+F sunny days the cabin gets to between 105F and 120F or so. Perfect for drying and out-gassing lacquer. Gives the paint a chance to flow together, just like a bake booth in bodyshops. Also keeps pollen and dust off while drying. Sanity plays no part in good paint jobs...:mental:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Codger said:

Sanity plays no part in good paint jobs...:mental:

Well....that lets me out then....or rather....in.....errrrrrrrrrrrrr.....damn.....need to take my meds..................

Respect oh great one ;)

Ron

5 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Well....that lets me out then....or rather....in.....errrrrrrrrrrrrr.....damn.....need to take my meds..................

Respect oh great one ;)

Ron

YOU are definitely in the INsanity range. With finishes as accurate as life itself.

-and knock off that 'great one' stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

The pain is worth it...

This is why Testors Wet Look Clear is  my weapon of choice for this paint combination. Here it is straight from the can. And why all the tedious prep is worth it. The second round of two wet (but not dripping!) coats of red has been sanded to 2400 and thoroughly dried, as seen above. Today I shot a coat of TWLC, medium wet, 'baked' and sanded it (2400, 4000, 6000) and two hours later shot another the same way. And here that is without any sanding - yet. I will take this to 12,000 tomorrow. Notice the lamp reflections and that there is virtually no 'leather' or 'peel' in this. The Testors really lays out well if you get enough on the surface. It's remarkably forgiving.

1040M_zpsluwdwjmz.jpg

1041M_zps0jfchvjo.jpg

And here's the panel in its future home, just sitting there. Note that the gloss on the cowl (about 18 months old) is a near match for the un-polished new clear. You can't tell unless in person but this clear enriches a base color and makes it 'diamond-like'. Makes your colors 'pop'.

Very exciting and rewarding time. Pinot Grigio time...:party:

1042M_zpsx0qab0e0.jpg

1043M_zps8z7bulys.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful paint work and you have done a great job of getting the hood panels built fitting well. It just goes to show what a little bit of patience and perseverance can produce! When I see the work that you and many others are doing with scratch building somehow the transkit doesn't seem quite as difficult. But, then I realize that they are not so much different as they are somewhat the same; transforming a stock kit into something more realistic.

• Like 1

a perfect paint match.  It's amazing they were not all painted at the same time!

For the two tone side panels will you put the cream color on before clear coating the whole thing? Or do you do a protective coat on the red before aiding the cream

1 hour ago, rjfk2002 said:

For the two tone side panels will you put the cream color on before clear coating the whole thing? Or do you do a protective coat on the red before aiding the cream

Thanks all guys.

Rich, I will gently clean up the red then shoot the cream and go through the same steps of color sanding as the red. Except for those louvers. I'll soft mask them to limit build-up as color goes on, then unmask for color. You can't sand or abuse those. Then I'll clear the whole panel to eliminate a hard line of clear between colors.

That's the plan anyway...

I love it... as mentioned before by others the car (I have difficulty calling this a model) appears as if it was painted in one go; and the lines of the car as amended by yourself look beautiful. The paint coat itself is very convincing and looks as flawless from a distance as it did in your close-ups. 

Only one caveat; my eye is still caught by the not-yet-perfectly locking right hand door. I hope (and knowing you, also assume) this will eventually be in order.. (I know I mentioned that before somewhere, PM or in the thread, and seem to remember that this would be taken care of... but better be on the safe side and mention it again)

Great progress again, in all. The project really looks like it's getting close to being finalized now. It will be a jewel on anyone's showcase of triumph.

1 minute ago, Roy vd M. said:

Only one caveat; my eye is still caught by the not-yet-perfectly locking right hand door. I hope (and knowing you, also assume) this will eventually be in order.. (I know I mentioned that before somewhere, PM or in the thread, and seem to remember that this would be taken care off... but better be on the safe side and mention it again)

Great progress again, in all. The project really looks like it's getting close to being finalized now. 

If you could enlarge the image Roy, you could clearly see that the door hinges are not aligned - there are no pins in them. That's why the color sweep has a jog in it near the hinge. The door front is ajar. The door is literally just 'stuck in the hole'. Main reason is I don't like to handle it much for prints, didn't have gloves on and was dying to see the whole look. Very immature of me but it's been a long time.

Same with the hood top and side - just sitting in place with no hinge pin. I ASSURE you (all) that with the door properly fit and latched, the color sweep is as perfect as I could get it and the pinned hood side seam is flush. It's the most blatantly visible area on the car so it had to be.  That's where all the hours went...

• Like 2

@Codger That's extremely immature indeed... I never do these kinds of dryfits :D Honestly! :D *

Seriously your reply makes all the sense I need to be reassured, if that were even realistically necessary**. 

* Only all the time. 

** Quod non.

35 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

@Codger That's extremely immature indeed... I never do these kinds of dryfits :D Honestly! :D *

Seriously your reply makes all the sense I need to be reassured, if that were even realistically necessary**. * Only all the time. ** Quod non.

:D:D:D

Well I know that if you DID do dry-fits, they would align far better than mine. 'vd M' must be Netherlandese for 'Precision'.

When I put the door away, I will take a close shot of just its surface and the reflections will tell the story. Hopefully, a good story.

@Codger  I'm another time and always amazed by your great work on this car. Your paint job, (and a lot else, besides) is, for sure, inspiring for all of us.

I do love your RR...I do love your obstination and your perfection quest....I do love the time you take between different steps of construction, which proof, in my opinion, that you let ideas mature before acting.

As @Roy vd M. said, it's definitely impossible to speak of a model with such a masterpiece.  Looking at it, I fall in ecstasy...

A little question though in that respect: where is the "Flying lady"  ("Spirit of Ecstasy") ?

Hats off, Mister C.

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

Glad you two got that sorted then ;)

So....how long before the 'clear' goes on then?

Ron

A little color sanding today. The weather has been hateful   :rain: but clear will go on when it dries up. :penguin:

7 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

@Codger@Roy vd M.

A little question though in that respect: where is the "Flying lady"  ("Spirit of Ecstasy") ?

Hats off, Mister C.

Thierry, you are way too kind. :worthy:

The Little Lady will appear when all is done. She is too delicate for any kind of handling. She sleeps on a tuft of cotton, in a small plastic box - safe for over 3 decades. Hopefully, she will guide my Rolls just as long...

• Like 1