A BIG Rolls Royce

I also like it just the way it is.

However, if you really want to add another element to the running boards, why not more wood grained photo paper?

Some Phantoms had wood on the running boards.

David

• Like 2

for all it is worth, the running boards look absolutely great and best without the black boards.

as for Endeavor's idea, it is worth trying, this car looks so original, noble wood boards ( photopaper ) could look like a "Million bucks".

but beware, the starlets high pointed heels may scratch the delicate lacquered wood...

2 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

for all it is worth, the running boards look absolutely great and best without the black boards.

as for Endeavor's idea, it is worth trying, this car looks so original, noble wood boards ( photopaper ) could look like a "Million bucks".

but beware, the starlets high pointed heels may scratch the delicate lacquered wood...

Firstly, many thanks for such generous comments all.

Also appreciated are the opinions expressed about the black treads on the boards. Upon further review, I concur, naked is (always!) better. I must say I was skeptical about David's suggestion for wood treads; none of the reference cars I've seen were so equipped. I feared that wood would be a garish touch - this from a man who put cream wheels and a color sweep on a RR...:rolleyes:

But then I sneakily cut a strip and - POW! It's quite an eye-catcher. So I may do a test on a whole side and get a feel for the probably-outrageous look. Putting a door back on will tell if it 'works' or not.

And Sam, no worries, only barefoot starlets inhabit my rear seat lair.

Heh, heh, heh...:Tasty:

• Like 4

Having some fun...

Dear friend Endeavor (David) suggested above that the running boards could be dressed with wood inlays rather than the black treads I tested. I thought that unusual as I had not ever found any prototypes with such treatment and was skeptical.

But as usual, when an idea arises, sooner or later I'm compelled to try it. So here are some hasty scraps 'inlaid' on the boards as a visual test. It would be a better test if I had the door in place but I'm not ready to do that now due to other work in progress.

As always, all opinions are welcomed; but fair warning - I don't know if I'll take the consensus advice given. It may be 'too much' in my view so I have to look at it over a couple of days to decide.

978M_zpsdi8e4h4j.jpg

979M_zpsydi9u1yt.jpg

980M_zpsustk1h8y.jpg

Amazingly, here is the proof that it was done - either back in the '30's or as modern restoration. The big roadster is even finished in my color!

981M_zpstfzj8uno.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Although it lookes nice, I still like the running boards better in the naked.

I've the same preference...I think - it's only an opinion - that it's "too much"...Beauty owes rimer with sobriety :)

I don't know. The wood inlay does look nice but, I think that I prefer it without. I don't have the advantage of seeing the how it looks in a full view of the car and with the rest of the body panels on. I think it's a decision that can wait until you can see how it works with the car a little more complete.

w

• Like 1

A thanks..

To all who ventured opinions about the running board trim. After looking at it for several days, I've decided. I like it best with no treads of wood or rubber, just the paint and chrome. I fear I'm flirting with over-decoration so it's a tiny note of conservatism.

Here after much adjustment to the suspension and body height and alignment, is the full-assembled look of the design. The front wings will further add 'swoop' and they will go on (as I modify the headlights first) so the hoods can be fitted.  I have achieved my vision for it (so far) which I count as a miracle.

As I always note, not everyone's cup of tea.

981M_zpsvhirkg3a.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great and amazingly real. Because of their nice and bright color, the wheels outside rim look a bit too clean, it is my only dusty remark.

As for flirting with over-decoration, yes, flirting should be reserved for the starlets and the curves ( i mean the bends, i mean driving fast and flirting with the road curves and bends )

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Codger said:

A thanks..

To all who ventured opinions about the running board trim. After looking at it for several days, I've decided. I like it best with no treads of wood or rubber, just the paint and chrome. I fear I'm flirting with over-decoration so it's a tiny note of conservatism.

Here after much adjustment to the suspension and body height and alignment, is the full-assembled look of the design. The front wings will further add 'swoop' and they will go on (as I modify the headlights first) so the hoods can be fitted.  I have achieved my vision for it (so far) which I count as a miracle.

As I always note, not everyone's cup of tea.

981M_zpsvhirkg3a.jpg

Have to say....very much my 'cup of tea'....if it wasn't resting on that cardboard....it would fool anyone into thinking it was the 'real' thing.....sublime work Mr C

Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

Have to say....very much my 'cup of tea'....if it wasn't resting on that cardboard....it would fool anyone into thinking it was the 'real' thing.....sublime work Mr C

Ron

You are all most kind and generous with likes and comments and it's very appreciated.

Next month will be 3 years that it's rested on that table-top cardboard Ron !:crying: But plans have been afoot for a while for a proper backdrop for photography. Indeed, I have photoed a quaint, local small-town, old-time garage which would make a suitable home for it, I think. That building project will happen with the case, when the bulk of the car is finished - when the Lady goes on the radiator cap.

Meantime, it sleeps under a black plastic shroud when it's not being hacked-on...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

hacked-on? I picture you with a hack-saw in the vicinity of your beautiful car. Nah... not a nice view.

The band saw and belt sander have frequently terrorized those tender curves. Witness:

861M_zpssgfq9zqw.jpg

• Like 1

A needed diversion...

Those expecting a mile-long gleaming hood will be disappointed. So am I but a necessary side-track occurred. It's complicated.

In order to fit the 4 hood panels, the fenders must be in final place. In order for that, the headlights must go into the fender aprons. In order for THAT, you must have all the parts! Seems I lost or never had the  two plastic bodies for the horns which mount on the headlight posts which mount on the fenders. Whew!

Seen here in a Paul Koo illustration are the kit parts in gray plastic. Mine couldn't be found:

982M_zpsrcjpiw92.jpg

So using the photo and eyeball engineering I laminated some plastic and made a pair.

983M_zps0z4wtcm4.jpg

Presto - after making a mess of shavings, here the finished piece. These are mounted to the beautiful and expensive ModelMotorcars headlights. The kit reflector will be modified to fit within. I also cut the posts down by 5mm to lower the lights for my 'look'.

984M_zps1ts7wkma.jpg

985M_zpsd1abjzzk.jpg

With the fender mounted here is a good idea of the look.

986M_zpscpq6lniy.jpg

Here now is a very good look at the ride height, tire gap and general lines of the car. It is now exactly what I hoped for so early in the build. Note that the hood hinge is perfectly level as is the running board and trunk lid. Picture a yellow hood side and that will be it:

987M_zpsnrgoqdmr.jpg

Here is a nicely built,  unaltered Sedanca built by Paul Koo for comparison. The differences are striking from the top to the tires:

STOCKMedium_zps2cbd1f5c.jpg

• Like 3

Paul's is very nice....but I actually prefer yours Mr C....IMHO...yours is the more striking of the two....it has more 'flair'.

What his does illustrate very nicely....is how...with the right backdrop....the eye is easily fooled into 'believing' the reality of the whole!

Ron

• Like 1

Dear Codger,  

how come his ride height is so high ? looks unnatural whilst your's looks totally real.

also, IMveryHO the upper chrome line along the side of PK 's car, does not harmonize with the line of the car, specially so on the door.

i like your bug-eye  bug-atti backlight, comes out great. Just waiting for the plate number ? 

if i may say, your only "give away"aside from the cardboard, are your seemingly 'virgin' louvres.

beautiful work on the headlights dear Codger, worth every minute.:hourglass:

1 hour ago, sharknose156 said:

Dear Codger,  

how come his ride height is so high ? looks unnatural whilst your's looks totally real.

also, IMveryHO the upper chrome line along the side of PK 's car, does not harmonize with the line of the car, specially so on the door.

i like your bug-eye  bug-atti backlight, comes out great. Just waiting for the plate number ? 

if i may say, your only "give away"aside from the cardboard, are your seemingly 'virgin' louvres.

beautiful work on the headlights dear Codger, worth every minute.:hourglass:

Sam, virtually all un-modified Sedanca kits sit like that when newly built - but not too long. The very early kits (like mine) had soft vinyl-like springs, which the weight of the model eventually sagged. A second design of the kit saw the springs changed to metal inserts within the vinyl and were slightly better, however time took its toll. I opted for the stainless steel PE springs from MMC where the weight is not an issue and the ride height will not change.

Of great significance is the channeling of the body over the frame on mine vs. stock. The  elimination of the device Pocher chose (a .250" spacer under the firewall) also requires heavy modifications to the chassis and crossmembers to get the floor flat on the frame. Note the bolt on the lower front corner of the coach is attached into the frame rail on Paul's stock model; mine is approximately .250" below the frame, a significant amount to get the cowl down flush on the firewall. Note the hood line on the stock kit is sloped to the front grille shell. Mine is perfectly straight as were all Gurney Nutting Sedancas. The bottom body edge on mine  (under the running board) is also trimmed almost 7 mm, making the body visually less tall than stock to accommodate the channeling.

I cannot speak to Paul's choice of body decoration as that is a very subjective choice. It is a well built model, used in his CD to illustrate the kit parts and intelligent modifications to avoid pitfalls. His advice is a huge help to all that attempt the kit.

My number plate can be seen on the previous page (#63) with the whole rear of the car. Small work to be done assembling the headlights then the fenders will both be on waiting for the hood.

I assure you the louvers are not 'virgins' as most of my starlet passengers will not be as well. :Tasty:

• Like 1