A BIG Rolls Royce

20 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Another thing, but this is my special situation: There is no way to read every thread completely. To be honest yours, being about a Rolls, wouldn't be on top of my reading list. Nevertheless I started reading at the point it stood at the very moment I joined these forums and try to keep up with everything. Being a relative newbie to the hobby there is not much more I can do than appreciate what guys like you are doing. And you already inspired me to tackle some scratchbuilding. This is something you should be proud of. Guys like you are the fuel that keeps the newbies going.

All your points are excellent, well-articulated and appreciated. I have said all along that my project would not be to everyone's taste or size to build. That it has relevance, information and inspiration that is beneficial for any modeling taste is very satisfying. I also view it as a learning experience for me from those that provide another view or share advice.

Encouraging Wayne to continue all his excellent, well-thought out builds and enjoying the work of Roy F. and the other serious builders is beneficial for many reasons. By all means, browse and absorb their work for maximum enjoyment of this hobby.

Then show us your plans and work which we will no doubt find stimulating as well.

C

4 minutes ago, Codger said:

Then show us your plans and work which we will no doubt find stimulating as well.

I already started to do so:

This of course too isn't for everyone. Rally is my special interest and the 1/24 scale allows me to build more rapidly and choose from a wider selection of kits. Though it seems to be very hard to scratchbuild parts as they become unbelievable small and fiddly.

• Like 1

Out of hibernation...

Here come the details, out of storage and permanently affixed. A good feeling - most of them even still fit!! :lol:

Attached now; the windshield glass to frame, the frame to the cowl, the dashboard, the landaus and luggage rack. The door is just placed until the interior upholstery and windows are attached. Yes, the odd flap of leather, a bit of touch up and all will be jake.

Still to come the inside rear view mirror, the wipers, the stunningly beautiful MMC spotlight on the cowl post, the wheel and spark controls and that tiny notch under the steering column. It was needed to drop the body down into place on the chassis. When the body is finally affixed, that notch will be filled with its mate.

Seen first is the 'screen and I'm not proud to say it's the 4th and final glass I cut and fitted; reason, got CA spots on the other 3 (perfect cuts too...:angry:). The final answer was epoxy, thinned a drop and spread verrrry carefully:

902M_zpstuudffng.jpg

903M_zpspu5orfgx.jpg

Overexposed dashboard so it can be seen more clearly. Kickpanel leather on left needs tidying:

904M_zpsj35eeqhk.jpg

Managed to get a bit of window light into the cabin and it's nice and snuggly back there. Rear window frame and glass to come after chrome next week:

905M_zpsh8pmftwd.jpg

The overall look now:

907M_zpsfpsldejx.jpg

908M_zpsabfv2eys.jpg

• Like 6

I'm still far of this body work on my Bugatti, and seeing how carefully and so thoroughly you progress in your build is very informative for me (and others too I suppose)

A the saying goes, every little bit helps

Thank you, Chas, for sharing your wonderful work with us .

nice and snuggly indeed...when are the starlets going to appear ? 

dear Codger, is it a camera thing or is the buckles' metal holding the canvas a bit thick ( i don't mean overscaled by the way ) ?

5 minutes ago, sharknose156 said:

nice and snuggly indeed...when are the starlets going to appear ? 

dear Codger, is it a camera thing or is the buckles' metal holding the canvas a bit thick ( i don't mean overscaled by the way ) ?

They may be, but I had no 1:1 reference to measure from. I think they suggest the idea pleasantly...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roymattblack said:

Are you going to hire it out for weddings or award ceremonies???

Gorgeous stuff.

Roy.

Thank you but 'no' Dear Sir. Rather, the design brief was more towards - ahh, 'Night Moves' - something I'd love to hear you two Gray Boys play...:devil:

I've been taking my time reading through all of this thread and I'm currently at page 19. 

During the last two weeks Codger has been receiving quite a few of my likes, as I like plenty of his painstakingly detailed and highly informative posts in this topic. Maybe it will take me another 2 months to catch up with the current state of this thread, so I think it is only fair to give my preliminary and modest view on this epic topic containing the results of hundreds of hours of hard and diligent work. The current detailed reply is meant as a sign of respect for your work, and 'giving something back', hope you'll accept it as such.

This means that it's well possible that I'm going to repeat something that was already mentioned, or I'm discussing outdated info. Hope you guys won't mind too much. 

During reading I wrote notes which I'll simply elaborate now.

Your topic

To start I think your topic contains a wealth of information for Pocher kit builders and other large scale car modelers. You have managed to find a way between warning for these vintage kits with all their deficiencies ('every part of a Pocher kit needs amendment to ensure a proper fit') and elaborating enthusiastically on their charms, the joy they can bring and the absolute addiction there seems to be to them. An average (ambitious) reader of your topic will be very tempted to purchasing a Pocher kit, knowing a load of caveats to take into account before starting it. 

They way you have been describing your methods and sharing your technical knowhow and knowledge is incredible. Many of your inventions and ways opened my eyes and made me see how beautiful results can be achieved. A tool like a step drill... never heard of that before. It's something to put on my shopping list. Your topic should be a source of knowledge to all serious large scale car modelers. 

Your often elaborate and detailed posts are nonetheless quite accessible through your use of casual humor. I often had LOL-moments when reading your posts (Starting a post with the words 'Since I have no machine tools or the brains to use them' ... :D ). You have created a reading experience that's captivating like a good book.

I think there are a lot more modelers who follow your topic than you are aware. I understand they don't feel tempted to contribute to the thread by simply telling you what they think of your work... although I reckon you'd like to see more of these posts. But it's just a shame these lurkers (in the neutral sense of the term, I'm also a lurker in some threads) don't hit the 'like' button more often, at least, when they see yet another elaborate and carefully drafted and executed post of yours. Of course some don't like the 'like button' institute, but in my view it's a simple and easy way to let the author know his post is appreciated. 

If I had one point of constructive criticism on your topic it would be that you are being too modest. Many (even at 1/3 of the topic) have told you before but you won't budge. Me being the exact opposite, a sometimes rather arrogant and 'I know it better than you' type of guy, I tend to believe in my instinct to know an overly modest guy when I see one. If you somehow agree with this rather amateur but well-meant diagnosis then please give yourself a bit more credit. Not only would it do justice to your own talents (and patience is, in my 'humblivated' view, the best talent / asset a modeler can have, I know you think patience does not only have positive sides but I'm not sure I agree with you on that); being a bit less modest would also be beneficial for the self-confidence of beginning or out of box-builders on or off this forum. In this topic they are looking at some of the most impressive modeling they have ever seen and the one responsible for all that artistry keeps saying there are even better modelers that he looks up to. Try to imagine what that can do with the self-confidence of those who just started or others who don't even come close to your level. Which is, approximately, 99% of the modeling community. No false compliment there, just a neutral estimate. 

Weathering

I simply adore the way this model is being rendered. You describe it as 'nothing is bright and shiny' somewhere.

If a model is built representing a perfect, just-out-of-factory brand new car that's great, if a weathered model is built that is great also. I personally can enjoy both (even a 'barn find' can be very interesting and captivating if done well) but I prefer the lightly weathered look. It is perfectly okay that the car is shiny from the outside (=recent cleaning session) whereas the exhaust manifolds are corroded and the leather is wrinkled. It's that look most of us have come acquainted to in our own cars... dusty dashboard top, some rotting leaves in the water reservoir, fingerprints near the bagage door... etc. I can thoroughly enjoy studying a model with such 'miniature realism'. 

One advice I'd like to give you is to execute your weathering maybe slightly more consistently. For example 80% of the engine was given a realistic weathered effect but the bottom of the engine didn't get that same treatment (at the time, at least). Same goes for the frame and other parts of the car that don't get much attention in everyday use, hidden below bonnets and body. 

I read that you decided to leave some body or frame parts in metal color because it looks nice, whereas in the factory those parts would have been painted. Personally I would not have opted for that, but -to use a modeling cliche- it is your model and you should make it according to the ideals you envision. I respect that in itself. 

The build

Beside everything said before, I have to say the build progress has been very interesting to follow. Using shrink tube to replicate the borders of carpet... wonderful and cunning. Even using a dollhouse materials distributer as a source of materials is an idea to remember. I have limited experience in large scale car modeling, so reading these tips and tricks is invaluable. The way you upholstered the rear seat of your Rolls will be an inspiration for my build of the Fiat 806 for sure. I've bookmarked those posts and will try to do what you did.

About the ride height correction.. I think you did a great job. The rear wheel vs. body position looks natural in my eyes, although I am not acquainted with the looks of the real car. 

Very few things I've seen should be considered subject to improvement. In other words, I think most things reasonably couldn't be improved even if you wanted to. Some minor details that caught my attention... not all of the engine parts as seen on page 11 of this thread appear perfectly straight; perhaps you could take another look at that and perhaps (if if isn't visual misinformation due to photography) you could tweak that a bit. But frankly speaking, I'm quibbling here. If the level of your build were any lower than it is, I'd never even have mentioned it. But I know you want to get all the details right and out of respect for that I tell you this detail that caught my attention. I'm always looking at the weakest link in a model... it's a bad habit I know, but I try to use it also in my own models where I can correct mistakes. 

Another very slight deficiency (in my view), looking at the photos on the current topic page, is the fact that the right door doesn't seem to fully line up with the body. Front bottom of that door seems to be pushed inwards a bit. Perhaps you can try to correct that by means of a simple bending action. But I'd fully understand if you didn't want to run the risk of damaging paint or such. 

In final

You mentioned a couple of time that there are modelers who can achieve perfect results the first time they attempt a task, where you need several attempts. I think your image of top modelers is a bit romantic. When you read the modeling magazines or some build topics, it seems that nothing ever goes wrong at their workbench. My feeling (although I can never be sure) is that that's not realistic. We simply don't see all the failed attempts. Personally I choose to always show and describe my mistakes and repeated attempts in my build topics, because it seems to me that makes my build topics more entertaining and people can learn from my (often pretty stupid) mistakes. As a modeler I am not that talented and I'm not nearly as good as I'd like to be, but I am almost sure that also the top modelers make plenty of mistakes (which they keep behind the curtains, either to keep the build topic text to an easy-to-read minimum or to keep up appearances).

The most valuable lesson to be learned from this thread (first 19 pages, at least) is, in my view, that those with large amounts of patience are (quasi) privileged to building models as detailed and correct as is reasonably possible. You tend to choose redoing something that doesn't please you. I can tell you that this is a rare feat. I am active on a Belgian modeling forum, where few constructive criticisms are given. Level of modeling quality / craftsmanship is (in my honest view) quite low and people from Belgium are afraid to tell each other what they really think. It's not in their nature, they are a rather timid and polite people. I'm an exception because I'm from the Netherlands, a country populated mostly by annoying, querulous, overly self-conscious and hysterically blatant people. I'm one of them. When I try to give a builder on the Belgian forum some advice on their build (usually easy-to-fix matters) the usual response is "thank you for your advice, you're right (they will always say that, regardless of whether I'm right or wrong) and I will keep this in mind for my next build". That's the answer I get in 90% of the cases. So their model will NOT be finalized as well as reasonably possible. IF they will remember my (and some others') advice for their next build (if it has any relevancy at all), which build will be finalized a few weeks later, then that new build will most probably have some new flaws. Same procedure: constructive criticism is given, the modeler agrees but tells the critic that he'll use it in a future build. The result: 15 finished models in one year, all of moderate quality. 

It may be hard to believe given the tone of my last paragraph, but I can see that those modelers can be very happy with their results. They are building more intensively and they probably have a lot of fun doing that. I'm sometimes even jealous that I can't have that same approach to modeling.

Anyway, your result will be 1 finished modeling jewel in 3 or 4 years, of exquisite quality. You'll amend and tweak your model exactly as long as is necessary to receive top notch results. That's the key difference between those Belgian modelers who like to glue and paint on the one hand, and you for whom glueing and painting probably constitute highly exciting moments during the long build process. 

I'll continue reading your topic and I'm sure I'll find many more gems of info in there.

• Like 6

WOW !   And there's me just enjoying my modelling.....

These are fantastic builds, incredible !   I make nice models, but at the end of the day.....Chill time, nobody died.

Remember, modelling is a hobby for the majority of us.

Nothing is and will never be perfect.......Nothing ever is!

I will probably get an ear bashing after this, even snubbed, but just enjoy your own builds. It's fun.......

By the way, forgive my rant, but ...........!!!  I'll shut up now.

31 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

I've been taking my time reading through all of this thread and I'm currently at page 19.

I'll continue reading your topic and I'm sure I'll find many more gems of info in there.

Roy, I am overwhelmed. No one has written such an essay of observations and constructive criticism of my work. I sincerely thank you for taking both the time to study my thread and to write such a detailed analysis. You are nearly clinically observant and I'm flattered my work stands to such scrutiny.

Your major negative comment is that in your view, I am too modest. I will quote you here: 'As a modeler I am not that talented and I'm not nearly as good as I'd like to be,...' And I will say that is exactly true of me. I must try harder and redo many tries because I seldom get things right the first time. So it's not modesty, it's a simple fact here on my workbench. A blind squirrel can find a nut - with enough effort.

To address two observations; the door(s) were seldom fully attached early on - just placed for mock-up. Either hinged or latch but seldom both. You may still be reading the stage where I tried to correct the warped Pochers, prior to scratch-building my own in despair.

Will look at the engine links more carefully and address any lazy rascals there - thank you.

I also made clear that I was after the 'art' of the deign of the model, not to make a duplicate Gurney Nutting replica. So I took license everywhere, brass and bronze  chassis bits, leaky engine bobs, crinkled seats, gleaming paint, real sparkly chrome. In short I'm making myself happy with an attempt at plastic and metal art. A slippery slope and surely not to everyone's taste.

You seem to embrace the style and radical departures I tried. Indeed here at the current end, they are more evident.

Again I appreciate your candid discussion and time invested in presenting these very cogent views.

Thank you indeed.

And Neil; glad nobody died although I considered falling on my Exacto several times. NO ONE has to put 3 years into a kit if there's no pleasure in it. Glad you too like to follow along this crazy journey...

Coming right behind this is the latest advance in the madness...

C

• Like 1

Dear Roy

Aside from good scale modeling i enjoy a good read and so i had to jump in and write this ; whether right or wrong in your opinions, your eloquence and fluidity are a pleasure to read.

This is the most objective tribute to Codger i have read.

As you know surely, the Dutch language has one of the least number of words in its vocabulary compared to the other practised world languages. Perhaps this is why Dutch people are frank and direct...

Despite this fact, for a Dutchman you have the eloquence of a French or Chinese or even Arab diplomat without the pedantic flowery load.

Sorry side subject. 

ps : i just mentioned these three cultures because their vocabularies contain hundred of thousands of words, whilst the Dutch language to my knowledge only contains less than 90 000 words. Perhaps am wrong.

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 1

Now we can see that the door and the body have exactly the same color... i wonder what Don Rickles would say to those who doubted this some threads back.

and the door is flush with the body... beautiful.

Edited by sharknose156

Roy`s comments may bring out a number of lurkers like myself.

I love this build as I am a 1/16 fan and have built most of the interesting Entex models which I source from the USA as they are rare in Australia.

My three RR were fun builds but not the quality or challenge of a Pocher.

I  will be sorry when eventually this build ends.  Back to lurking!!  

Regards Les

To Wayne: please do not keep your build to yourself. I do hope we will see your WIP here on the forum.

About the dutch language, Sam, I think you forgot to count quite a few words. There are many, many more words in our language than the number you mentioned. Being triggered by your remark /I did some research. Estimations range from 1 to 6 million words

Codger, it is such a pleasure looking at your build.  I think that the recent additions are again perfect. As these form the, let's say, outer skin of the resulting model, these are most important, because that is what you will have to look at the coming years.

In my opinion, you nailed it wonderfully.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

WOWW!!!! What an epic project! A true masterpiece and masterclass....I love it!

Great work Codger:D

Cheers, H

Thank you Poul and welcome Harvey. Nice to have you follow along. Progress continues but handling and assembling already finished parts is a sweaty proposition. More soon,

18 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Hope your wearing cotton gloves Mr C......I'll be looking for those telltale fingerprints ya know......seriously good work going on with this piece.....not sure I want to see it finished !

Oh you will! But you'll be on Social Security (or the Brit equivalent) by then....:crying:

Pain and pleasure...

In the interest of honesty, I feel it necessary to report the bad with the good. If this build report is to be of any value to interested builders it must be so. Seems those couple of posts above about careful handling were prophetic.

In the course of finally installing the windshield, a tiny finger smear of epoxy ruined the perfectly blemish free clear Lexan. Heartbreak. Couldn't live with it. The glass is easily removable by lifting off the top crossbar but the frame was epoxied in place in the cowl opening. I managed to remove it without cowl damage but the frame needed harsh treatment to remove the hard epoxy. That raised a chip of chrome on the face. I spoke to Marvin at MMC about stripping the chrome and replating but he advised me that frequently destroys the solder joins (in the lower corners). Without further ado, I took two days to make a new one, now better-fitting and polished than the first. I also cut 3 more new Lexans on the bandsaw - in for a penny...

912M_zpsekvibkan.jpg

911M_zpspw3ufonw.jpg

You can only walk on water just so long before your trouser belt gets wet - I have tried but I've been lucky to this point. We all reach the point in these projects where you're on the model with tools and glues on perfectly finished areas. This is so for me from here on out and as stated previously, for me it's a nervous time. For a relief from the door panel assembly (same thing; finished paint on the outside / finished leather on the inside) I 'relaxed' (NOT) installing pretty details from MMC on the boot. In the swing of things, I made a proper Brit plate and holder and finalized the spare and the boot handle and clips. Awaiting the final bits of MMC jewelery, the cast bronze tail lights which will go on either side of the plate. This all required drilling holes (they even had to be perfectly centered and perfectly symmetrical!), screwing things and gluing things on the finished painted surfaces. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

913M_zpso1jxd1cj.jpghttp://914M_zpsszjfcxul.jpg

916M_zpsa2iwrkwf.jpg

915M_zpsykjmc1u3.jpg
Some observations about Sedancas; you can see here how long the rear overhang really is. I'm very glad I shortened the boot, made it lower and sloped it. The stock kit one now looks like a huge box (which it actually was) from the 1:1. This one just works better with my 'laid-back' look.

Also, this thing has gotten HEAVY. With 5 solid rubber tires, wheels with over 80 parts of mostly steel, many chromed brass bits, stainless steel springs, solid bronze axle and very heavy resin and wooden seats, the workbench groans when I put it down...:o

917M_zpsl2p4f2uj.jpg

More when the w'shield frame comes back from plating...

• Like 1

I think that you've hit on my block in finishing the Mercedes. I'm somewhat worried about damaging the delicate details and until I'm fully focused on it, I'd rather just hold off for a while.

Also, your trunk handle looks a lot like the hood handles from my Mercedes. It's looking like your vision is really coming to fruition!

Bad luck with the epoxy. There's more than one kit I killed after such a mistake when I was younger. These days I know how to repair the damage. I really wish you this stays the only heavy "oops"-Moment for this build. Keep going and keep calm. You can do it.