Airfix Vampire T11 paint guide

Pat C

Chaps - grateful for your thoughts. The Airfix painting instructions for the day-glo scheme of the Vampire T11 shows the day-glo coming part of the way onto the horizontal tail surfaces between the booms. There are a couple of Vampires in RFI at the moment that show this. However, the Air Ministry paint diagram for the T22 (which I would assume be identical) does not show any day-glo on the horizontal tail between the booms, just on the arears outside the booms. As theAM diagrams are otherwise quite specific as to how far the day-glo should extend I would have thought they would have indicated how far along the horizontal tail it should extend, if it was supposed to do that.

It's tricky to find any period photos that show this one way or another. Given Airfix made mistakes in the paint guide for the Skyhawk (particularly around the white moving surfaces) I wondered if this was another case of it being not quite right?

Pat

EDIT - actually quite a few T22 pics show the day-glo not extending onto the horizontal tail surfaces outside the booms either!

Edited by Pat C

Thanks Rick. It's still not totally clear from that pic but I suspect that you are right. Period pics seem to suggest there is no day-glo between the booms but again , it's not clear without a top view pic!

Pat

Ah!

Try this then.

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2012/aviation-news-vampire-t11-wz590-duxford/

and here's the complete library

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2012/aviation-news-vampire-t11-wz590-duxford/

Should be able to see what you need in there somewhere.

If of interest, this is how I interpreted it:

IMG_0006_zps073338f1.jpg

HTH

Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 3

Thanks for that - appreciated.

I know what you mean but I am pretty sure the root fairings would be the same colour as the adjacent "fuselage" structure, in this case the orange of the booms. It is normally that way from my observations.

I can't help wondering if what you are seeing in that shot is the shine on the paint?

Here's another shot that may help:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1392145/

cheers

Rick

For some reason application of dayglo seemed to be at the whim of whoever was painting it, despite the official plans. Certainly I've seen as many variations of the nose pattern as there were Vampires built. And don't even mention the self adhesive stuff... :hypnotised:

• 3 years later...

Sorry for reviving an old post but Airfix suggest Humbrol 209 for the 'orange' colour.  Would Britmodellers agree or suggest a different colour ?

The model above looks very 'red' but guess that could just be the photo.  Admit I have not bought the Humbrol 209 yet so dont know what colour is in the pot.

209 is an excellent match for the piece of unused day-glo self adhesive that I was given at RAF Leconfield in the seventies by an airframe techy guy who was advising our ATC Cadets on the aircraft inside the hangar

I'm not an ATC CI any more but I still have the day-glo. :)

Incidentally from looking at the picture posted so long ago, I interpreted the day-glo limits the same as Spad

On the curved fillets but not on the elevators

Thinks ...must get one of those T11s

Back with the RAF next year when I'm temporarily done with Navyating and that is a gorgeous aeroplane

Definitely 209 and I will post a pic of my finished Vampire this evening but here is a day-glo Hunter to be going on with painted with 209. You can vary the tone of the 209 by spraying over either white, orange, or red but it needs a consistent base because it is very translucent and needs multiple coats to build up coverage.

38342956206_d8013a9a7b_b.jpghuntt8c

• Like 3

I had the privilege of working on the Vampire T.11 squadron at CFS Little Rissington from 1960-62 when all of the aircraft had received dayglo markings. Due to the unit's aircraft being used as prototypes for the final dayglo design, there were several variations on individual aircraft but I can confirm that the standard arrived at for the T.11 was no dayglo on the tailplane between the booms but it was applied to the stub sections of the tailplane protruding outwards of the booms. Hope that helps.

Edited by Radfan Hunters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2